Sons' sorrow

Quite like the idea of this and, seen as it's my afternoon off, I've given it some right good thought.

If all these players were at the best of their form with us then this squad would challenge at the right end of the Championship imo. I've included DT as a winger because, to be totally honest, we really haven't had that many who have been standout since the 2010-11 season.

Goalkeepers

Alan Martin
Danny Rogers

Defenders

Paul McGinn
Sam Wardrop
Andy Graham
Stuart Findlay
Craig Barr
Daniel Harvie

Midfielders

Chris Turner
Scott Agnew
Ross Forbes
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Jamie Lindsay
Mark Gilhaney
Dom Thomas

Forwards

Bryan Prunty
Garry Fleming
Jim Lister
Chris Kane

How would I line up that team?

Alan Martin

Paul McGinn Craig Barr Stuart Findlay Daniel Harvie

Ross Forbes Chris Turner Scott Agnew Dom Thomas

Jim Lister Chris Kane

Go on then. Pick a team to beat that lot...

18 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Quite like the idea of this and, seen as it's my afternoon off, I've given it some right good thought.

If all these players were at the best of their form with us then this squad would challenge at the right end of the Championship imo. I've included DT as a winger because, to be totally honest, we really haven't had that many who have been standout since the 2010-11 season.

Goalkeepers

Alan Martin
Danny Rogers

Defenders

Paul McGinn
Sam Wardrop
Andy Graham
Stuart Findlay
Craig Barr
Daniel Harvie

Midfielders

Chris Turner
Scott Agnew
Ross Forbes
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Jamie Lindsay
Mark Gilhaney
Dom Thomas

Forwards

Bryan Prunty
Garry Fleming
Jim Lister
Chris Kane

Alan Martin

Jim Lister Chris Kane

Danny Rogers over Martin for me on the basis that Alan Martin is a big manchild.  Aside from that it's hard to argue with much of the rest, but you've missed Andy Stirling from your squad and I don't think I'll ever forgive you for it. Stirling in for Forbes for me, if it was a team of the last 20 years then '08 Forbes would make the cut.

Rogers

McGinn -- Graham -- Findlay -- Harvie

Thomas -- Turner -- Agnew -- Stirling

Lister -- Kane

I was tempted to start Fleming in place of Lister because he was a far better servant to us, but the year Jimmy played was just amazing to watch.

EDIT - I may take pelters for this too, but for me Reghan Tumilty is better than Wardrop...

Edited by The Moonster

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Danny Rogers over Martin for me on the basis that Alan Martin is a big manchild.  Aside from that it's hard to argue with much of the rest, but you've missed Andy Stirling from your squad and I don't think I'll ever forgive you for it. Stirling in for Forbes for me, if it was a team of the last 20 years then '08 Forbes would make the cut.

Rogers

McGinn -- Graham -- Findlay -- Harvie

Thomas -- Turner -- Agnew -- Stirling

Lister -- Kane

I was tempted to start Fleming in place of Lister because he was a far better servant to us, but the year Jimmy played was just amazing to watch.

EDIT - I may take pelters for this too, but for me Reghan Tumilty is better than Wardrop...

Yeah I can understand all those points. The goalkeeper situation was a real toss up, but Aldo gets in for single-handedly stopping us being relegated that season. 

I did think about Andy Stirling, and I like him a lot, but I need an end product from my wide players - and Forbes is that man. Especially whipping in balls to Jim Lister's big forehead. Stirling would absolutely enhance the overall looks and hair of the squad though.

Fleming was absolutely a better longer term player for us, but prime Lister alongside prime Kane would just be perfect. Lister winning everything in the air and smashing folk around, Kane buzzing about scoring every time he touched the ball in the box 😍

I really only went with Wardrop because he performed for us in the league above and, imo, if he wasn't made out of polystyrene would be a regular for a Championship team. Wouldn't be against including Cammy Ballantyne either, but they are all irrelevant behind the Clydebank Cafu.

We have really struggled at left-back over the last decade 🤣

1 minute ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Yeah I can understand all those points. The goalkeeper situation was a real toss up, but Aldo gets in for single-handedly stopping us being relegated that season. 

I did think about Andy Stirling, and I like him a lot, but I need an end product from my wide players - and Forbes is that man. Especially whipping in balls to Jim Lister's big forehead. Stirling would absolutely enhance the overall looks and hair of the squad though.

Fleming was absolutely a better longer term player for us, but prime Lister alongside prime Kane would just be perfect. Lister winning everything in the air and smashing folk around, Kane buzzing about scoring every time he touched the ball in the box 😍

I really only went with Wardrop because he performed for us in the league above and, imo, if he wasn't made out of polystyrene would be a regular for a Championship team. Wouldn't be against including Cammy Ballantyne either, but they are all irrelevant behind the Clydebank Cafu.

We have really struggled at left-back over the last decade 🤣

This is Andy Stirling's end product:

Image result for andy stirling dumbarton sunglasses

Agree on left back, it seems to be a position that we've just filled with whoever's going at the time. We've never replaced Craig Brittain.

Goalkeepers
Alan Martin
Danny Rogers
Defenders
Paul McGinn
Sam Wardrop
Andy Graham
Stuart Findlay
Craig Barr
Daniel Harvie
Midfielders
Chris Turner
Scott Agnew
Ross Forbes
Jordan Kirkpatrick
Jamie Lindsay
Mark Gilhaney
Dom Thomas
Forwards
Bryan Prunty
Garry Fleming
Jim Lister
Chris Kane

Alan Martin

Jim Lister Chris Kane

Sam Stanton would walk into that team IMHO.

13 minutes ago, Rock Hudson said:

Sam Stanton would walk into that team IMHO.

God, Sam 😍

I actually included him the list I wrote down, and then totally forgot to put him in the squad. I'd struggle to drop either prime Agnew or Turner for him though tbh.

In was going to bring this subject up in about a month from now. I actually picked my team a few days ago and put it aside but since my thunder has been stolen here's my team of the 2010's.

Martin

McGinn
Graham
C. Barr
Harvie

Gilhaney
Turner
Stanton
Froxylias

Nade
Thomas

Subs
Rogers
Findlay
Docherty
Lindsay
Fleming
Kane
Prunty(I couldn't bear to leave him out)

Managed by 2013/14 Ian Murray.

Prime Lister or Prime Nade at Dumbarton though?
Big Jimmy for me. Even when we were awful that season the big man was rag dolling every defender he came up against and I absolutely loved watching him.

That's not to take away from Nade who also made a huge impact. You could also argue that Nade done well against better teams.

I think this is a great bit of engagement from the club.
Got of us all talking and discussing.
I always think the club could do a bit more to engage with fans but they've nailed this one here.
Good job.
I do agree. I just hope we get votes based on ability and not who waves/poses for photos the most.

15 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I do agree. I just hope we get votes based on ability and not who waves/poses for photos the most.

Mark Brown, Chris Smith and Jordan Pettigrew all have votes. Each of them are up against one of Jamie Ewings, Danny Rogers, Alan Martin or Stevie Grindlay. The mind boggles.

The GK is a hard one. 

I remember the playoff at Arbroath where big shay stopped everything, making phenomenal save after phenomenal save and I still think that was one of the driving forces that got us up. 

Martin was great during his time here but became a numpty in the end.

Rodgers, was a great young talent.

Ewing made some important sub appearances.