Sons' sorrow

Can anyone tell me why there’s no lower league football today? Is it a decision governed by UEFA and imposed on the SPFL or do the SPFL implement the ‘free weekend’ themselves?
Do the fans not come into it? Some folk will follow a club and Scotland and wouldn't be able to do both (obviously).

Can anyone tell me why there’s no lower league football today? Is it a decision governed by UEFA and imposed on the SPFL or do the SPFL implement the ‘free weekend’ themselves?
It'll be an SPFL decision since there's a full card at the next round of international fixtures.
Do the fans not come into it? Some folk will follow a club and Scotland and wouldn't be able to do both (obviously).
I used to have this pov but the week of football has made it possible to follow both teams.

It’s a missed opportunity imo. An opportunity for lower league clubs to try and encourage fans along who would otherwise be at a premiership game.

If Scotland were playing on the Saturday the lower league games could be moved to the Friday night or Sunday to accommodate fans wanting to attend both. A chance to try something different.

I’d love to know what the official reason is. From the outside looking in it looks like a lack of imagination and leadership at a time when lower league clubs could benefit from the top leagues being off.

It would be good to have a proper national lower league football day on occasions like this. Dedicate media coverage to our lower leagues. Ticket offers to maximise attendances. Get as many people as possible along to a lower league game and showcase how enjoyable lower league football can be.

44 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It would be good to have a proper national lower league football day on occasions like this. Dedicate media coverage to our lower leagues. Ticket offers to maximise attendances. Get as many people as possible along to a lower league game and showcase how enjoyable lower league football can be.

Whilst simultaneously distracting us from how unenjoyable the national team currently are.

Exactly this. Let season ticket holder take a pal along for a tenner, under 16s go free, invite local youth clubs along for a half-time knockabout that would encourage their parents along, invite local disability groups and consider reduced pricing for those on unemployment benefit (or whatever). An opportunity to generate some interest when there’s less competition.

If you wanted to widen the net; engage WDC (stop laughing at the back!), open the club early and invite local businesses down for a working breakfast/business enterprise workshop with some club officials there to promote hospitality, sponsorship and community engagement opportunities.

Instead of sitting in the house staring out the window.

I'm going to have a wee rant here. I've spent the afternoon listening to Radio Scotland and the disdain they have for the Challenge cup is disgraceful. Richard Gordon was almost sniggering when he mentioned the tournament's name. I wouldn't imagine any sponsor would be happy about that. Chick Young pretty much refused to call Airdrie's stadium by it's sponsored name because "it's stupid." I wonder if he would refuse if one of the arse cheeks had their stadium sponsored. Thankfully I don't listen to it during the games too often. Roll on Stranraer next week so I can avoid it!

I'm going to have a wee rant here. I've spent the afternoon listening to Radio Scotland and the disdain they have for the Challenge cup is disgraceful. Richard Gordon was almost sniggering when he mentioned the tournament's name. I wouldn't imagine any sponsor would be happy about that. Chick Young pretty much refused to call Airdrie's stadium by it's sponsored name because "it's stupid." I wonder if he would refuse if one of the arse cheeks had their stadium sponsored. Thankfully I don't listen to it during the games too often. Roll on Stranraer next week so I can avoid it!

To be fair the current form of the Challenge cup deserves all it gets. The spfl have utterly ruined it with their Trojan horses of foreign leagues and under 21 teams

2 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

To be fair the current form of the Challenge cup deserves all it gets. The spfl have utterly ruined it with their Trojan horses of foreign leagues and under 21 teams

Yep.

If they wanted to revamp the tournament then the best juniors should have been invited in to join the Championship, League 1, League 2 and the Highland and Lowland leagues. Have it as a north/south split until the later stages.