Sons' sorrow

Jumbo Muir getting the better of Drew Busby and Jim Jeffries in 1976.
Strip!
image.png.621d62f104107e0156eee2dec246ed5a.png

Hampden in the cup semi final. Took them to a replay and harboured thoughts of European football if we got to the final.
Them were the days and yes, a proper strip with a gold band. None of this yellow pish.

3 hours ago, Jumbo Muir said:

Hampden in the cup semi final. Took them to a replay and harboured thoughts of European football if we got to the final.
Them were the days and yes, a proper strip with a gold band. None of this yellow pish.

10 yo me was there for both that game, and the replay.

Jimmy Cook broke my heart late in the first game with that miss when 1 on 1 with the keeper (at least until I was bought chips on the way home).

5 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

10 yo me was there for both that game, and the replay.

Jimmy Cook broke my heart late in the first game with that miss when 1 on 1 with the keeper (at least until I was bought chips on the way home).

Mentioned this to Busby in the Waverley once and said we should have won, I thought he was going to hit me!!

On 04/10/2019 at 20:47, GordyBrow said:

Watching Alloa - Dundee Utd and can’t believe Aitken got rid of Graham, Taggart and Cawley.

Taggart is the only one who, for me, left earlier than he should. We weren't to only team to think The Championship was a step too far for AG. When Ayr got promoted they released him almost straight away I'm sure.

Funnily enough I thought he was finished at that level at the time. Since then he’s been a part of two sides that won promotion to the division and a side that stayed up last season, all of which suggests that judgement was wrong.

I wouldn’t bet against Alloa (or Arbroath for that matter) staying up at this point either.

So, what's you guys initial thoughts on wee Frizzell then ?
Who's Dom Thomas again !!! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Seem to have very fast acceleration, which in our league probably means he get plenty of shots away - he appears to have good quality on the ball so that’s a positive. I think he will drift in and out of games a lot more than Thomas, probably due to his smaller build and slightly different position.

12 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Thoughts on Hutton yesterday?

I thought the midfield yesterday were outstanding to a man. Langan smashing folk, Hutton keeping play ticking over and McKee setting up all three goals (which I kind of missed at the time).

It's the most balanced we've looked all season imo. 

We had a few good performances yesterday.

Fullbacks looked decent for much of the game. Did their work with minimum fuss. A couple of errors but on the whole they were fine. I thought Carswell was solid filling in at centre half. Neil was excellent, other than arguing the toss with the ref and then the linesman when the Forfar player challenging him had been booked - could easily have talked himself into the book with that. Hutton showed yesterday what we missed against Clyde. Did the hard work and the unglamorous stuff, winning possession and bringing more attacking players into the play. Complemented by the effort of Langan who was always looking to get involved. McKee was decent too, although missed a few opportunities to close Forfar down when not in possession or challenge for a 50/50 ball. The 2 wide men were good. Frizzell faded from the game in the 2nd half but that was probably just a reflection of the fact that we werent going forward with as much purpose after half time.

Big Isaac didnt have a good game. He wasn't terrible but he didnt have the impact that we know he can. Wasn't a goal threat and wasn't making the Forfar defenders work nearly as hard as they should have had to in order to keep him quiet.

Overall an enjoyable game and an absolutely justified 3 points. With the firs quarter of the season done you can't help but feel that we could have been at least 3 points better off if we had got the result our play deserved against Airdrie. We were poor against Clyde but a performance like yesterday would have been enough for a win. If we can turn those marginal results in our favour and continue with the wins we've had then top 4 is a realistic ambition this year. Just need to avoid injuries as we still don't really have anybody who could come in and do what Layne can as a target man.

If we had been offered 5th place after the first quarter at the start of the season I think must would have taken that.

It’s fair to say the team have performed better than we would have expected after the first couple of Betfred Cup and friendly games. Still a work in progress and we’re still short in a few areas, but can’t say I’m disappointed with how the seasons panned our so far.

4 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Seem to have very fast acceleration, which in our league probably means he get plenty of shots away - he appears to have good quality on the ball so that’s a positive. I think he will drift in and out of games a lot more than Thomas, probably due to his smaller build and slightly different position.

Friz is only just back from a broken foot sustained just before the close of last season, he's only played 2 reserve games for us before yesterday so he isn't fully match fit tbh.

He does have a good change of pace especially driving at people & he isn't easily taken off the ball.

He will do a good job for you guys.

Friz is only just back from a broken foot sustained just before the close of last season, he's only played 2 reserve games for us before yesterday so he isn't fully match fit tbh.
He does have a good change of pace especially driving at people & he isn't easily taken off the ball.
He will do a good job for you guys.
I assume he hasn't played for you in the challenge cup? I was hoping it would be another Dom Thomas situation whereby no one else could come in and swoop for him in January.

On that note, I'm fearing Tumilty ending up back at Morton in January. God knows who they have at right back but he must be a decent player to warrant punting Tumilty out on loan.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I assume he hasn't played for you in the challenge cup? I was hoping it would be another Dom Thomas situation whereby no one else could come in and swoop for him in January.

On that note, I'm fearing Tumilty ending up back at Morton in January. God knows who they have at right back but he must be a decent player to warrant punting Tumilty out on loan.

Not according to the team who played & lost 4-0 to Kelty Hearts

Killie Reserves: Lyle, McCracken, McLevy, Barlow, Lynch, Ross, Barr, Brindlay, Cameron, Monk, McDonald.

Subs: Jamie Walker, Josh Walker, Warnock, Deveney, Sloan, Russell

Thoughts on Hutton yesterday?

Kyle Hutton was absolutely excellent yesterday, I have no problem whatsoever stating that - if he can repeat that on a regular basis it would be a huge plus.

However, and it is a big however, his performance owed something to the fact that he was joined in midfield by McKee and Langan, two players who provided the mobility for Kyle's impressive tidying-up operation.

And my point ?? Simply as I've been banging on for the last season, you can't pair Hutton AND Carswell in the same midfield.

26 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Sam Wardrop will step into Tumilty's sizeable shoes in January if we lose him 👀