Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Alright lads, I recorded a podcast with the great Andy Graham last week. This is part two, where he talks about his three years at Dumbarton and his season at St Mirren.

It's brilliant stuff about the side's turnaround under Ian Murray and their success in the Championship, but it also focuses on his departure under Stevie Aitken, something I don't think he's spoken about publicly until now.

CLICK!

(22:50 if you want to get straight to the gossip.)

He played for St Mirren?!

I thought the way SA treated him was really poor. To say he would continue as captain to then be fourth choice in the team with no explanation is bad management imo. I don't know if it's normal practice to find out you've been dropped, (when you expect to play), only when the team is read out. Interesting that Ian McCall did exactly the same later in the same season but I would pull a player aside beforehand to let them know out of courtesy.

Obviously SA was entitled to pick whoever he thought would do the best job for the team, it's just the way he did it that I think is wrong.

I thought the way SA treated him was really poor. To say he would continue as captain to then be fourth choice in the team with no explanation is bad management imo. I don't know if it's normal practice to find out you've been dropped, (when you expect to play), only when the team is read out. Interesting that Ian McCall did exactly the same later in the same season but I would pull a player aside beforehand to let them know out of courtesy.
Obviously SA was entitled to pick whoever he thought would do the best job for the team, it's just the way he did it that I think is wrong.
I must admit, I remember thinking after that Queens Park game that maybe Aitken is right, he was awful that night but it's easy to understand why after hearing the interview. It probably didn't help that I had, what I'm guessing were his family members, sitting right behind me who spent the entire evening calling Aitken all sorts and being amused that we lost. My fears were that maybe it was a year too far for him and his lack of pace would start getting exposed, only for Aitken to replace him with Frazer Wright. At that point I remember thinking Aitken had made an error and Andy Graham continues to make him look like a bit of a fool for it.

The way that he treated him is scandalous. From telling him he'd be captain to forcing him out the door a couple of weeks later is bizarre behaviour. That's the part of the story no one really knew about and to hear how it panned out is actually really disappointing considering how good a player and captain he'd been for us. Leaving all the usual Aitken bashing aside, there's always been something about Aitken that screamed he was a bit of a snake IMO. Graham isn't the only player he treated poorly, we had numerous guys he'd signed who were punted before the transfer window had even shut and you had guys like Taggart, who had never put a foot wrong for us, shown the door only to be replaced by inferior players. If I was a player I'd have struggled to trust him 100%.

I'll never forget big Andy belting out Deacon Blue at the player of the year awards night whilst completely sober. One of his finest moments as a Dumbarton player.

1 hour ago, microdave said:

"You were Ian Murray's captain but you won't be mine going forward". If that is indeed how Aitken put that across to Andy then it's piss poor, especially after saying to him a few weeks earlier he wanted him to continue as captain.The fact that Andy Graham himself was fairly relaxed over who was captain and just wanted to play for us makes the whole thing even more stupid. 

I'll admit at the time I thought another season in the Championship may have been one too far for him, but I would've expected a far better handling of the situation than that. I'm delighted he proved me wrong because he's a smashing big guy.

7 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm glad he was honest enough to admit he was delighted to get it right up Aitken by relegating us. I remember fearing that playoff final due to the amount of good players he'd punted who were playing for Alloa.

Totally agree, I respect him much more for that. He also spoke very respectfully about the club and supporters, which Aitken did the complete opposite of after we punted him.

Totally agree, I respect him much more for that. He also spoke very respectfully about the club and supporters, which Aitken did the complete opposite of after we punted him.

Aitken a greeting faced wee diddy who uploads horrendous gym selfies in his mid 40s. The fact he’s still out a job says it all.

Just goes to prove you can’t buy class.

Graham’s conduct after leaving us and in that interview has been exemplary, something that absolutely cannot be said of Aitken.

Off topic somewhat, but maybe not totally, I've just been reading about the plight of Bolton and Bury respectively and what a salutary reminder it is of the disgraceful laxity on the part of the football and financial regulatory authorities in respect of club ownership and shareholder control - there are far, far too many individuals and consortia now in the game who should never be anywhere near it.

And it's not hard to fathom out why.  Financial greed and a blind eye culture are now widespread in society and football is no exception, and the gulf between the richest clubs and the rest is now a yawning chasm; Bolton and Bury are in the grubber due to these modern ills but down the road at Man City no one gives a toss about what is effectively a financial doping culture.

For the record, it's not ALL down to owners and Directors.  The Jean Marc Bosman ruling has been a disaster for all but the elite clubs and the greed of players and their agents now runs rampant thro the game.  Dumbarton is no exception and the cost of six seasons in The Championship often paying players more than we could afford has now come home to roost - remember that the next time someone extravagantly kisses the badge.  Or you buy your sixty quid replica shirt.

In short, there are far too many people in football nowadays hell-bent on taking out whatever they can and too few doing anything about.

Rant over - as you were guys.

15 hours ago, microdave said:

This thread was started on the 140th anniversary of the formation of Dumbarton Football Club and has now reached page 1872!

Shamelessly getting in on page 1872 to be part of this history.

5 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Off topic somewhat, but maybe not totally, I've just been reading about the plight of Bolton and Bury respectively and what a salutary reminder it is of the disgraceful laxity on the part of the football and financial regulatory authorities in respect of club ownership and shareholder control - there are far, far too many individuals and consortia now in the game who should never be anywhere near it.And it's not hard to fathom out why.  Financial greed and a blind eye culture are now widespread in society and football is no exception, and the gulf between the richest clubs and the rest is now a yawning chasm; Bolton and Bury are in the grubber due to these modern ills but down the road at Man City no one gives a toss about what is effectively a financial doping culture.

Interesting that you try to contrast Man City's model to that of poor, wee Bolton, given that the latter actually spent £250 million more than they could afford to play at a far higher level than their fanbase and revenue could possibly sustain:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/16101232.former-bolton-owner-eddie-davies-wipes-nearly-200m-off-books/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8992131/bolton-administration/

Bury are just a two-bob version of that as well, including spunking money on a promotion winning squad just last season when the lights were going out. Last time I checked, nobody from the 'football authorities' put a gun to their head and insisted that they spent money that they didn't have to chase success. What did the fanbase do when Bolton were in the Premier League every season to try and ensure the survival of their club when it inevitably went tits up for them?

You'd be as well claiming that Dundee and Livingston's multiple administrations were the result of the OF and SPL greed, rather than the Walter Mitty pledges made to an ever-gullible fanbase that actually brought about their demise.

For the record, it's not ALL down to owners and Directors.  The Jean Marc Bosman ruling has been a disaster for all but the elite clubs and the greed of players and their agents now runs rampant thro the game.  

No, the Bosman ruling has only been a disaster for clubs who thought that refusing to ever let their players leave is a viable transfer strategy. There are plenty of clubs, even within Scottish football, who continue to sell on prospects within the terms of their contracts for substantial amounts of money. 

In short, there are far too many people in football nowadays hell-bent on taking out whatever they can and too few doing anything about.

'Taking whatever they can' has been a complaint ever since the sport was professionalised 130 years ago; this is just old man yelling at a cloud nonsense. 

On 26/08/2019 at 00:02, Thommo90 said:

Came on to catch up on the pre fight verbals only to find out rockmusic and wilf are meeting up for a winch instead of a ladder match in the function suite as part of the pre match entertainment. Disappointing!

My only condition is no tongues on a first date. I'm not that kind of guy.

Kyle Hutton's next game for us will be his 98th, and he still hasn't scored. I'm aware I'd normally be the one to look into this sort of thing, but how does that compare to outfield players from the past? Not that many players have hit 100 games for us in recent years, and most of them (Fleming, Graham, Agnew, Prunty, Geggan) have all scored - so basically what I'm wondering here is this, who was the last outfield player to make 100 appearances for us without scoring?

17 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Kyle Hutton's next game for us will be his 98th, and he still hasn't scored. I'm aware I'd normally be the one to look into this sort of thing, but how does that compare to outfield players from the past? Not that many players have hit 100 games for us in recent years, and most of them (Fleming, Graham, Agnew, Prunty, Geggan) have all scored - so basically what I'm wondering here is this, who was the last outfield player to make 100 appearances for us without scoring?

Couldn't help myself.

Michael Dickie according to SonsArchive. 122 appearances without a goal...So Kyle still has a wee while to go yet.

http://sonsarchive.com/player.php?id=156