Sons' sorrow

St Mirren were better organised than us and limited us to very few chances.

Great free kick to decide it, but they didn't create much either.

Would be quite content to take their goal scorer Jack and the big centre back on loan.

Was an absolutely shocking performance.

Not once was Duffy up off his arse trying to put in any input into the game. He just sat on his wee chair away from the dug out and he just doesn’t look interested at all.

I would genuinely not be surprised if there was a press release to say Jim has been sacked or that he has walked away.

The squad he has built is an absolute fucking shambles.

I refuse to believe that he has utilised the available budget to its fullest. He either doesn’t understand the value of a decent player or he has drastically under estimated the level of the player required to compete at this level.

A manager of his “quality” should surely have some kind of idea of the level of player thats needed.

Surely he must have some friends/fellow managers he could turn to for some kind of help with getting some half decent loan players in.

If we don’t make some more signings or some loan deal of a superior quality to what we have then i can only see us heading one way and that down...very very quickly.

21 minutes ago, optimistic said:

When does the transfer window shut?

How many can we punt?

Is there better still out there?

Has to be,

The team looked completely anaemic tonight in every way. Can we recover? Possibly.

If we can ship 3/4 out on loan and get some reinforcements in then we may be able to pick up. I don't know if the money or players are there though. If we don't change something, I don't see Duffy lasting long because when we're not a shambles, we have no cutting edge.

I was listening to various football podcasts today, and I’m sure I heard one pundit claim that Dumbarton had “one of the best managers in the lower leagues”. I absolutely cannot remember which podcast it was, but surely Dumbarton fans don’t actually think that? I get that financially his hands are tied to some extent but that squad he’s assembled is no where near good enough. Tonight is a real low point.

Feel for you boys.

The attendance was 279. I can't decide whether tonight is a worse result than Bonnyrigg or not. Our team back then would destroy the current one which makes me think 2016 was worse. It doesn't make tonight a less shocking result though. At least we can have a wee break from the misery during the international breaks.

Who would be crazy enough to want any of our players?
[emoji23]
Fucking horrendous state of affairs

When I said punt, I meant release, but moves to get some out and some in is paramount. If Duffy is interested, but I’m sure, if he’s not, plenty invites would flood in , who would be. Get them in on a lesser salary, and use it for the squad

3 minutes ago, microdave said:

The attendance was 279. I can't decide whether tonight is a worse result than Bonnyrigg or not. Our team back then would destroy the current one which makes me think 2016 was worse. It doesn't make tonight a less shocking result though. At least we can have a wee break from the misery during the international breaks.

Unless your actually watching Scotland in which it sounds pretty bleakly relentless.

15 minutes ago, optimistic said:

When I said punt, I meant release, but moves to get some out and some in is paramount. If Duffy is interested, but I’m sure, if he’s not, plenty invites would flood in , who would be. Get them in on a lesser salary, and use it for the squad

That would come at a cost, as why would any player with a contract walk, without being paid off? I think we're only allowed another three loans as well, so not much room to manoeuvre there either.

12 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I was listening to various football podcasts today, and I’m sure I heard one pundit claim that Dumbarton had “one of the best managers in the lower leagues”. I absolutely cannot remember which podcast it was, but surely Dumbarton fans don’t actually think that? I get that financially his hands are tied to some extent but that squad he’s assembled is no where near good enough. Tonight is a real low point.

Feel for you boys.

Put it this way, the bank of credit which Jim Duffy accumulated in the second half of last season has now all but evaporated.  But it's already been posted here that two or three individuals, Craig Barr and Dom Thomas were crucial to us putting together a decent run which kept us up.  Now there is no doubt that the club is in a poor financial state and the playing budget will almost certainly reflect that, but it still seems to me that Duffy was not at it early enough team-building wise, with the result that about four 'shotgun' signings  were made just ahead of the opening fixture - that was a worrying portent.   And of the two survivors from last season, one of them I'd have hunted but that's become a broken record with me.

With a brand new squad quite often you don't get the results you hope for, but you can begin to see the semblance of something.  The first bit has been achieved, and with goals-against knobs on, but the second is within touching distance of the Moon.  The gloom around the place is now palpable and if I were a betting man I'd say we are looking at Jim Duffy's last hurrah in Scottish senior football unless there is some sort of remarkable turnaround. 

But thanks for your post, it's appreciated, and I feel for Raith fans too, only beating us 1-0 the other week 🤣

Feel for you boys.

It's a strange one, last season Duffy made a limited changes during the Jan window where he added balance and stability to the team, we finished the season strongly.

Post season, Duffy made public comments about how overpaid the squad were and then how needed convincing of our budget for this season.

Fast forward to him (allegedly) making little effort to retain core players and then replacing them with juniors/exit trial players who look a mile away from being ready for this level.

All this against a backdrop where the club have little money (well documented) but a undisclosed third party seems to have underwritten debt and increased the playing budget, also the trust rep on the board who puts in a ton of work behind the scenes has allegedly taken a step back.

I'm confused as f**k as to were we stand at the moment.

On a slightly different note seagal is he good or pish.....personally after watching him after a few games i say the latter.....

keep your chins up guys  it's not a barrel of laughs up Airdrie way either. We got an undeserved 1 nil win against Accies boys and they rode us senseless all second half.

I think the is that theBonnyrigg result came as more of a shock.
The worrying thing about tonights game is i went to the game expecting to see a poor performance and was completely prepared to see us get schooled by an under 21 team.

Negativity on my part i know but this is just what i have come to expect from this team even at this early point in the season.

Feel for you boys.

Probably McCall, who holds him and Hughes in high esteem for some reason. Wouldn't be surprised if he recommends both for the Ayr job when he moves on. Although Duffy will probably be working in Sainsbury's at that point, not sure he'd want to lose the job security.

We only stayed up last season due to Don Thomas and his brilliance. We look that pish this season he would struggle to save us. JD needs to take full blame. Punt half the squad and bring in some better players or were doomed. If he cant be arsed he can feel free to leave and let someone else come in.