Sons' sorrow

28 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's also an indication of how naïve some of our fans are that their fantastic plans went unchallenged  for so long.  However, it's pleasing to see that the local press is finally no longer just recycling Brabco's  press releases

To be clear and factual. There has *never* been a point at which the plans were not being engaged with, scrutinised and challenged by fans - the trust spent five years doing that (including five public events, dozens of updates on our site, regular comment in the press, direct discussion with the owners, contact with local politicians and the Council, and more). Also, the Dumbarton Reporter, in particular, was extremely diligent in its reporting, much to the annoyance of some. All this is a matter of record.

Right now, the trust -- in collaboration with the club board and the C-share company -- are seeking a 'summit' with Brabco to see where we go from here. They have a controlling shareholding and want a return on their investment. We want a sustainable football club run by the people who care most for it. As I reported at the fans' forum, the search for a resolution is an urgent and active priority, alongside the operational issues. I'll say more through the trust website shortly.  

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

They never, ever had any intention of bringing themselves onshore. It was all just things they said to get the fans to back their proposal. They think since we've been told they're coming onshore that we'll just forget about it. That's how fucking naive these c***s are.

Actually, I think there was an intention (at least on the part of one of the parties involved). But their circumstances have changed quite a bit. We never gave unconditional backing to the development plan, but took it stage by stage. That was always the right approach. The question all along was one of viability, whether the financing would work, whether we'd get a sustainable stadium, etc. 

However, we *also* warned those who thought that the Young's Farm plan going down would remove the threat to the club that this was *far* from the case, because without further investment maintaining ourselves where we are was always going to be a huge struggle. Some refused to believe that, but it has proved to be the case -- with relegation, loan costs, a dramatic drop in season tickets and unavoidable capital expenditure proving a huge challenge. We are hanging in there. We need either a fresh deal with our owners or new owners to be able to move forward from here. Let me assure you that all options are being looked at. 

hola, de Logroño, La rioja, a city in the north of spain, the field of the famous wine "Rioja", I lived in scotland time ago, and I still come back every I can...
I start to follow dumbarton FC when they were the "best part-time in scotland"....xd
We're all here blaming Brabco and it turns out our Spanish friend McGarci is the bad luck charm that has led to our downfall.

Andy Graham hit that milestone in a 3-1 win at Cowdenbeath in December 2014. Garry Fleming's 100th appearance was a 3-1 defeat at home to Rangers in April 2015. We won't have to wait over four years for the next one as Kyle Hutton is only four appearances behind Carsy.
Will Kyle Hutton reaching 100 appearances trigger the four horsemen of the apocalypse?

28 minutes ago, albundy said:
5 hours ago, microdave said:
Andy Graham hit that milestone in a 3-1 win at Cowdenbeath in December 2014. Garry Fleming's 100th appearance was a 3-1 defeat at home to Rangers in April 2015. We won't have to wait over four years for the next one as Kyle Hutton is only four appearances behind Carsy.

Will Kyle Hutton reaching 100 appearances trigger the four horsemen of the apocalypse?

I think they may already have arrived and are currently playing in defence!

It's also an indication of how naïve some of our fans are that their fantastic plans went unchallenged  for so long.  However, it's pleasing to see that the local press is finally no longer just recycling Brabco's  press releases, and we look forward to some background on the business of one of their consortium recently going under whilst allegedly owing a seven-figure sum to HMRC. 
No-one should be under any illusion; what was once probably a genuine attempt at a win/win situation for both parties has long since failed, and as far as Brabco are now concerned a dead DFC is probably more valuable than a living one - if we lose sight of that we may lose our club.

Pardon my questioning here but how would a dead DFC be more valuable to Brabco than a living one? Not understanding that.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
4 hours ago, McGarci said:
hola, de Logroño, La rioja, a city in the north of spain, the field of the famous wine "Rioja", I lived in scotland time ago, and I still come back every I can...
I start to follow dumbarton FC when they were the "best part-time in scotland"....xd

We're all here blaming Brabco and it turns out our Spanish friend McGarci is the bad luck charm that has led to our downfall.

maybe I deserve some merchandising from dumbarton for be the only foreign follower...xd shirt, key-chain or something like that...xd

17 minutes ago, CatAlan said:

Pardon my questioning here but how would a dead DFC be more valuable to Brabco than a living one? Not understanding that.

Presumably because with no club and fans around to protest, it would be much easier for them to sell off the land.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

No-one should be under any illusion; what was once probably a genuine attempt at a win/win situation for both parties has long since failed, and as far as Brabco are now concerned a dead DFC is probably more valuable than a living one - if we lose sight of that we may lose our club.

I'm pretty ignorant on the sale to Brabco (I don't actually remember who the previous owner was), but selling to people who clearly only had eyes for the land and no interest in the football club seems crazy if the previous owner had any affection for DFC. Unless of course Brabco made more wild promises that they clearly haven't lived up to.

Edited to add: I've just read up on the sale. It only raises more questions than answers.

Edited by FifeSons

22 minutes ago, McGarci said:

maybe I deserve some merchandising from dumbarton for be the only foreign follower...xd shirt, key-chain or something like that...xd

Good luck with that Senor, if you hang on until the end of the season there should be a load of yellow&black striped jerseys going cheap 😀

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's also an indication of how naïve some of our fans are that their fantastic plans went unchallenged  for so long.  However, it's pleasing to see that the local press is finally no longer just recycling Brabco's  press releases, and we look forward to some background on the business of one of their consortium recently going under whilst allegedly owing a seven-figure sum to HMRC. 

They went challenged alright but what could anyone do but wait to see whether the various plans proceeded? I posted the following in December 2017. It pretty much outlines where we are now.

dalmoak.jpg

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

They went challenged alright but what could anyone do but wait to see whether the various plans proceeded? I posted the following in December 2017. It pretty much outlines where we are now.

dalmoak.jpg

It's all history now of course, but my point was that a fair few fans were taken in by Brabco's presentational efforts and the promise of what lay in store, and as such Brabco have enjoyed a much easier ride than they would have at clubs like Falkirk or Raith, for example.  The more perceptive smelled a rat from early on, especially when Brabco had no track record of delivering such a project, and the old adage very much applies here - if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. 

You may well have been be very prescient in that posting Wilf.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's all history now of course, but my point was that a fair few fans were taken in by Brabco's presentational efforts and the promise of what lay in store, and as such Brabco have enjoyed a much easier ride than they would have at clubs like Falkirk or Raith, for example.  The more perceptive smelled a rat from early on, especially when Brabco had no track record of delivering such a project, and the old adage very much applies here - if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. 

You may well have been be very prescient in that posting Wilf.

To be fair I don't think Brabco would have had any chance of delivering anything. Had they got permission (it failed by one vote) then some scrambling around would have followed and a developer sought. At that stage the viability or otherwise would have come into play. I don't think anyone seriously thought there would be a £13.5 million stadium at the end of it.