Sons' sorrow

Last week my mate suggested that we should be putting free tickets through all of the doors of the houses that have been built near the Rock since we moved there. There probably wouldn't be a big uptake but it could attract new fans.

I like that idea, but scatter them all over dton/Alexandria, we could probably send 500 out, easy

We should be aiming to get a flyer through every door in G82 and G83.

"£x off entry when presenting this flyer"

"Pay in with this flyer, get a 2nd person in half price/free"

Or even no need for a flyer, just advertise for a specific game that everyone paying in can get an equivalent person in half price/free ie adult gets another adult in for the deal, child gets another child in for the deal, season ticket holder can get another ticket at the deal price, etc.

The trust could coordinate a flyer drop using a network of volunteers.

Edited by Boghead ranter

3 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

The trust could coordinate a flyer drop using a network of volunteers.

The trust need a network of volunteers to come forward first. I don't want to sound like a c**t here, but we always have loads of these types of suggestions which come with the expectation that someone else will need to actually see the idea through. If people can offer up time to go round houses handing out flyers or tickets then I'm sure it can be arranged. Man power and resources are our two biggest issues for this stuff.

Our (east fife) owner is Neil Rankine who hasnt put a single penny into the club

I wouldn’t presume that Stranraer, Montrose and East Fife are minted in comparison, however, I’d wager that they all may have at least a smidgin of investment from their owners/benefactors etc which we don’t.

They may also not still be on a ‘come down’ from significantly dwindling gates over the last two years, and resulting in a reduced playing budget.

They may also have a core season-ticket base which they can rely on, whereas we can’t, given the massive reduction in sales over the last two years as well.

The trust need a network of volunteers to come forward first. I don't want to sound like a c**t here, but we always have loads of these types of suggestions which come with the expectation that someone else will need to actually see the idea through. If people can offer up time to go round houses handing out flyers or tickets then I'm sure it can be arranged. Man power and resources are our two biggest issues for this stuff.

Give me endless fliers, or complimentary tickets, and I’ll pass them out in the taxi to random customers

Not me, I’ll still pay my way

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/falkirk-6-0-dumbarton-first-18892285

It sounds to me like it's suddenly starting to hit home with Duffy that the players he's signed are miles off League 1 standard. It absolutely baffles me that a man of his experience can't figure that out in advance. Everyone else could see it.

It's the same with Morgyn Neil, everyone knew he needed an experienced head to talk him through games yet Duffy signs McGeever to partner him.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/falkirk-6-0-dumbarton-first-18892285

It sounds to me like it's suddenly starting to hit home with Duffy that the players he's signed are miles off League 1 standard. It absolutely baffles me that a man of his experience can't figure that out in advance. Everyone else could see it.

It's the same with Morgyn Neil, everyone knew he needed an experienced head to talk him through games yet Duffy signs McGeever to partner him.

At least Jim Duffy didn't try and hide behind any managerial clichés or look for excuses.  However, it goes far, far beyond issues of players' confidence and responsibility and the brutal fact is that several current Dumbarton players are not of senior quality, and to be honest I wonder how some of them ever arrived there.  What we are witnessing this season is beyond bad and cannot be explained away by loss of form, tactics, or any of the other 'normal' variables.  It is a lifetime worst for some of us, made all the worse by the genuine but patronising sympathy being extended by opposition fans.

But there is a reason, or reasons, for it, and in that regard there is no point in abusing Duffy, the players or the Board.  The club is in decline, perhaps terminal, and maybe the time has come for more direct action than putting flyers thro doors.  For understandable reasons, eg season ticket sales, the Board has tried to downplay just how serious the situation is at DFC but surely the evidence is now there for all to see.  Perhaps the time has come to adopt a more aggressive survival strategy and channel it thro the media both at local and national level - if that exposes the majority shareholder and their backers to questioning and forces them into defending their stewardship of the club then so be it.

Do we think the current crop are worse than the team McCabe left us with in 2007? That's the worst Sons team I can recall in my lifetime. I'm sure there were some awful ones in the late 90's, but I'm not old enough to remember just how bad they were.

12 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Do we think the current crop are worse than the team McCabe left us with in 2007? That's the worst Sons team I can recall in my lifetime. I'm sure there were some awful ones in the late 90's, but I'm not old enough to remember just how bad they were.

I would say this team are right up (or down) there with some of the worst Sons sides.

I have seen us outclassed in the Scottish Premier League in the 1980s but we at least put up a fight.

The last days at Boghead/Cliftonhill were awful though, don't think we won a game for months on end.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

.  It is a lifetime worst for some of us, made all the worse by the genuine but patronising sympathy being extended by opposition fans.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

I'll see your offerings, and raise you the Sons teams from either the Jim George era or Jim Fallon era.

Oh wait, managers called Jim....

51 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I would say this team are right up (or down) there with some of the worst Sons sides.

I have seen us outclassed in the Scottish Premier League in the 1980s but we at least put up a fight.

The last days at Boghead/Cliftonhill were awful though, don't think we won a game for months on end.

Were we not quite unfortunate to be relegated? I'm sure it was something harsh like two teams going down automatically in a ten team league, where we finished 9th.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

At least Jim Duffy didn't try and hide behind any managerial clichés or look for excuses.  However, it goes far, far beyond issues of players' confidence and responsibility and the brutal fact is that several current Dumbarton players are not of senior quality, and to be honest I wonder how some of them ever arrived there.  What we are witnessing this season is beyond bad and cannot be explained away by loss of form, tactics, or any of the other 'normal' variables.  It is a lifetime worst for some of us, made all the worse by the genuine but patronising sympathy being extended by opposition fans.

Tbf, I'll take that over absolute diddies like EF, who haven't achieved anything of note in decades, sticking the boot in.

Edited by FifeSons

5 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Were we not quite unfortunate to be relegated? I'm sure it was something harsh like two teams going down automatically in a ten team league, where we finished 9th.

It was the first, and possibly only time, that the 2 promoted teams went back down again.

As for being unfortunate, not really, both us and Morton were pretty far behind the rest of the pack, even a monumentally rank Hibs team that we rogered once (maybe twice).

6 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'll see your offerings, and raise you the Sons teams from either the Jim George era or Jim Fallon era.

Oh wait, managers called Jim....

The Fallon team wasn't actually a bad team. Most of them had performed admirably two years beforehand when we were relegated from the old 1st division by finishing fifth from bottom and of course, we bounced back immediately. It was possibly time for a clearout of that squad due to their age but Fallon didn't do anything and after a few defeats, confidence dropped. It eventually hit rock bottom and that was down to the manager not being able to motivate them. That team had MacFarlane, Gow, Marsland, Martin, Melvin, Meechan, Ward, Mooney and Gibson. I genuinely can't think of those guys and not remember them fondly.

The George era was horrendous.

4 minutes ago, microdave said:

The Fallon team wasn't actually a bad team. Most of them had performed admirably two years beforehand when we were relegated from the old 1st division by finishing fifth from bottom and of course, we bounced back immediately. It was possibly time for a clearout of that squad due to their age but Fallon didn't do anything and after a few defeats, confidence dropped. It eventually hit rock bottom and that was down to the manager not being able to motivate them. That team had MacFarlane, Gow, Marsland, Martin, Melvin, Meechan, Ward, Mooney and Gibson. I genuinely can't think of those guys and not remember them fondly.

Yeah, true.

If you Google "lost the dressing room", you get a picture of Jim Fallon. 

9 minutes ago, microdave said:

Theyb were a great team with a horrendous manager.They were the backbone of the 91/92 season onwards.I have many happy memories of those players.I do NOT hold them responsible for95/96.

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

1999-2000, The Sons won a game in every month...just. Good luck with this revival job, sounds ugly right now.