Sons' sorrow

After Saturday I've been thinking (probably too much) about how to get the best out of what we've got. I don't think Duffy is going to stray too far from the 4-3-3, I may be wrong but I think this was his preferred formation at Morton, but we need to be setting up as much more of a 4-5-1 without the ball. With the ball though I think we could do something a little different than we have been. I remember Duffy using Gary Harkins as a poor man's Andrea Pirlo/Sergio Busquets and having him drop between the two centre backs when in possession to help dictate play, moving from the 4-3-3 base to something more like 3-4-3 with the ball. I had a good laugh about that at the time, but now I think we could do worse than trying that with Hutton in the Harkins role. He won't be required to run around as much and actually has a decent range of passing when he's not under pressure, it would also allow the full backs to push up to give us more attacking width without overly exposing us to counter attacks.

Obviously it's up to the Duffman to decide if he wants to recycle this idea, but I reckon it's worth a punt.

Edited by GordyBrow

After Saturday I've been thinking (probably too much) about how to get the best out of what we've got. I don't think Duffy is going to stray too far from the 4-3-3, I may be wrong but I think this was his preferred formation at Morton, but we need to be setting up as much more of a 4-5-1 without the ball. With the ball though I think we could do something a little different than we have been. I remember Duffy using Gary Harkins as a poor man's Andrea Pirlo/Sergio Busquets and having him drop between the two centre backs when in possession to help dictate play, moving from the 4-3-3 base to something more like 3-4-3 with the ball. I had a good laugh about that at the time, but now I think we could do worse than trying that with Hutton in the Harkins role. He won't be required to run around as much and actually has a decent range of passing when he's not under pressure, it would also allow the full backs to push up to give us more attacking width without overly exposing us to counter attacks.
Obviously it's up to the Duffman to decide if he wants to recycle this idea, but I reckon it's worth a punt.
Tell you what, let's just punt Hutton.

I don't mind Kyle Hutton too much, if he's given a role that suits him. I don't think he's attacking minded enough to be an attacking or advanced midfielder and that protecting centre backs should be his remit.

Not playing wide in a 3 or 4 man midfield.

I think he's good in a set role and just now he's being asked to do something in the team he's not suited to.

He also gets brownie points with me for playing through injury last year.

All that said, I'd rather 1 Gary Harkins than 2 Kyle Huttons, every day of the week.

34 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Liam Burt signing a 2 year deal with Celtic has to be the strangest signing of the summer so far. I thought he was League 1 bound after two failed Championship loan spells.

He scored for Celtic U21's on Tuesday night in the Caramel Log Cup.