Sons' sorrow

I know Duffy has been hinting that Shiels will be used as a winger but I'm seriously hoping he's considering him for left back. I thought Quitongo was our weak link yesterday by some distance.

If we can secure a winger and big Innes on loan then we'll have plenty of cover for most positions.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I know Duffy has been hinting that Shiels will be used as a winger but I'm seriously hoping he's considering him for left back. I thought Quitongo was our weak link yesterday by some distance.

I disagree. Crawford at right back was by far our worst player.

Whilst yesterday's performance was marked improvement on some of the mayhem that has gone before, it highlighted the need for further additions and some possible departures.  What was most disappointing of all was the failure to take a point against a distinctly mediocre Raith side, but the fact was that if any side was going to score after half-time then it would be them.

I agree with the comment re Quitongo, he just doesn't inspire confidence, but most of the Raith threat came on the other wing where young Crawford (who did a lot of good things) was continually left exposed due to Hutton drifting into central midfield alongside McKee who was supposed to be playing there.  Carswell had a very poor game IMO and we need to wonder if it is worth trying, say, Carswell, McKee and Scullion in there to try and at least inject some pace.  I know Hutton does some good 'dirty' work but his overall contribution is consistently limited.  

On the upside, McGeever and Neill, apart from one absolute howler, had decent shifts and Brennan's shot-stopping was excellent.  But up front we desperately need some presence alongside young Tierney.  Crossan and McLuskey play in fits and starts but all three are very lightweight and Raith never really looked troubled.  And was I the only one thoroughly mystified by McMillan sitting watching the entire 90 minutes ?

4 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

See above for an explanation on Crawford.

Fair enough. You'd think it would be an easy instruction to say to a midfielder to cover the right side of defence when the right back goes up the pitch.

Whilst yesterday's performance was marked improvement on some of the mayhem that has gone before, it highlighted the need for further additions and some possible departures.  What was most disappointing of all was the failure to take a point against a distinctly mediocre Raith side, but the fact was that if any side was going to score after half-time then it would be them.
I agree with the comment re Quitongo, he just doesn't inspire confidence, but most of the Raith threat came on the other wing where young Crawford (who did a lot of good things) was continually left exposed due to Hutton drifting into central midfield alongside McKee who was supposed to be playing there.  Carswell had a very poor game IMO and we need to wonder if it is worth trying, say, Carswell, McKee and Scullion in there to try and at least inject some pace.  I know Hutton does some good 'dirty' work but his overall contribution is consistently limited.  
On the upside, McGeever and Neill, apart from one absolute howler, had decent shifts and Brennan's shot-stopping was excellent.  But up front we desperately need some presence alongside young Tierney.  Crossan and McLuskey play in fits and starts but all three are very lightweight and Raith never really looked troubled.  And was I the only one thoroughly mystified by McMillan sitting watching the entire 90 minutes ?
I'd agree with this, apart from your last sentence.

I thought McMillan was terrible against Queen of the South in the cup. As bad as our defence has been this season I'd have that down as the worst individual performance we've witnessed so far. It's probably harsh to judge him on one performance but I'd imagine Duffy has seen enough of him in training to think the options on the park are better.

Would be more than happy to see him prove me wrong but I fear all those years out of senior football have ruined him.

32 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

I disagree. Crawford at right back was by far our worst player.

I have to say I though Crawford had a pretty torrid time yesterday as well. Keep reminding myself he’s still young so hopefully he will develop as the season continues. 

I didnt think Quitingo was actually that bad. Yes some bad passing and ball control at times but definitely think there is a player in there.

Yesterday was moderately reassuring in places; it's the best I've seen McGeever play, and I thought Conor Brennan looked very assured. He's excellent at handling crosses when he comes for them. As long as he makes a decision then he's absolutely fine - it's just his decision making that causes issues.

That aside though we still have a few serious problems. With the exception of Crossan we don't really seem to have anyone who can create a moment of magic, the effort is there, it's just a lack of spark that guys like Forbes, DT and even Bobby Barr had last season.

The 4-3-3 just doesn't suit the players we have either imo. Crawford was struggling, but a lot of that came from Hutton effectively playing on the right in the three - and he just doesn't have the legs for that. He looked totally done after half-an-hour. Quitongo's touch and distribution were way off, and big Morgyn Neill has continued to make at least one total mental mistake a half. A switch back to 4-4-2 might not improve everything, but it might protect our rookie full-backs a bit more and give us a bit more natural width - because the full-backs were our only wide players for a fair amount of time.

Adding a couple of quality loan players (like Cameron) is an absolute must if we're to stay up imo. 

On 12/06/2019 at 11:53, Dumbarton Rock said:

Since it's all doom and gloom on here just now I'll lighten the mood a bit. Your pitch is coming along nicely and fingers crossed will be in tip top shape come the start of the league campaign.

pitch 2.jpg

It's nearly eight weeks now, isn't it about time you got the mower out again?

If we can secure a winger and big Innes on loan then we'll have plenty of cover for most positions.

Quitongo was rotten and I’ve not been impressed with him at all. Can’t run, can’t tackle, can’t even lump the ball forward.

Still young and new to the game but he looks worse than Dyer Willie so far.

Glad you noticed Hutton trying to hide in the middle of the park. There was 3 consecutive passages of play around the hour mark, first he shits it from a 70/30 ball in his favour. Then he leaves Crawford absolutely exposed and jogs back to the box kidden on he is wanting to defend.

Next raith attack and exactly the same thing happens. If he actually was bothered to put a shift in surely he would realise where he needs to be to be effective and help out a young team mate?

Experienced campaigner my arse. We need shot of him.

I was impressed with PJ Crossan, think that he’s a strong determined player. Still a little rough round the edges, but there is potential there.
Same with McCluskie, he is exciting when he gets going, has brilliant pace, but second/third touch can let him down sometimes. Hopefully these wee niggles can be ironed out over the next few weeks.
We need an out and out striker though to complement both Crossan and McCluskie.

7 hours ago, Thommo90 said:

Glad you noticed Hutton trying to hide in the middle of the park. There was 3 consecutive passages of play around the hour mark, first he shits it from a 70/30 ball in his favour. Then he leaves Crawford absolutely exposed and jogs back to the box kidden on he is wanting to defend.

Next raith attack and exactly the same thing happens. If he actually was bothered to put a shift in surely he would realise where he needs to be to be effective and help out a young team mate?

We are on the same page.  I've nothing personally against the guy but my thoughts on him as a player go back some way - I remember us playing at New St Mirren Park when he was in the opposition team and thinking 'how the f*** did that guy ever play in the Champions League ?'  Nothing I have seen in his time at Dumbarton has altered that view, and I was genuinely shocked when Jim Duffy retained him this season.

So dramatic. You have more hang ups than an adult chat line.