Sons' sorrow

Agreed, but that's the point, no one has spoken out to redress the expectation. If we're skint and we just need to weather the storm this season, then just say as much.

If actions speak louder than words, the level of player we are attracting suggests we are working on a smaller budget than any other team in the league (or possibly league 2) or Duffy's heads simply not been in it.

Folk can ask. They won't get an exact figure but I've said before that the chairman was naive with his comments about a top 4 finish. Duffy was making comments in the press about a budget that allowed him to build a competitive squad. Add 2 and 2 together and fans believed that Duffy was given the assurances that he was looking for and that top 4 would be reasonable based on Duffy's budget demands.
Thats clearly not the case.
You don't build a top 4 squad based on what we look like spending and you don't sign the players we've signed if you have more money available. Both the chairman and the manager have made comments that have raised fans expectations to a level that reality just doesnt match. 

Who’s our board?

Do they put their own money in, or just chase funds?

I presume the club have asked local stores about selling our merchandise?

The names of the board members are on the website https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/management/

They don't put money in as far as I'm aware. It's that model which has left us in a shite state. Soft loans from directors who then want the money back when we can't afford to pay it back. That wee creepy w****r Les Hope nearly crippled us doing that. I wouldn't call it chasing funds, I'd call it trying to make us self sustainable through better budgeting.

Barely anyone buys merchandise from the club shop, what would be the point in selling it elsewhere? There's hardly a plethora of locals choking to get their hands on the latest barking strip or sons branded dressing gown. They all support Rangers or Celtic and don't care about Dumbarton.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

The names of the board members are on the website https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/management/

They don't put money in as far as I'm aware. It's that model which has left us in a shite state. Soft loans from directors who then want the money back when we can't afford to pay it back. That wee creepy w****r Les Hope nearly crippled us doing that. I wouldn't call it chasing funds, I'd call it trying to make us self sustainable through better budgeting.

Barely anyone buys merchandise from the club shop, what would be the point in selling it elsewhere? There's hardly a plethora of locals choking to get their hands on the latest barking strip or sons branded dressing gown. They all support Rangers or Celtic and don't care about Dumbarton.

The stripey home shirt is £42 :eek:

Surely making us more visible to the public, I.e, children passing these bright coloured strips in Asda or sports direct, for example, would help? Morton have done it for years in “blacks”, if I’m not mistaken. Mothers and fathers don’t do their shopping st the castle, hence children wide eyed at our strips. Surely we could part with a small percentage if selling more kits?

Surely making us more visible to the public, I.e, children passing these bright coloured strips in Asda or sports direct, for example, would help? Morton have done it for years in “blacks”, if I’m not mistaken. Mothers and fathers don’t do their shopping st the castle, hence children wide eyed at our strips. Surely we could part with a small percentage if selling more kits?

Judging by the reaction from many fans regarding this seasons strip i doubt they will be selling many regardless of where they are being sold.

Judging by the reaction from many fans regarding this seasons strip i doubt they will be selling many regardless of where they are being sold.

I quite like it, but we definitely need a return to the 70’s style we’re all used to, the 3 hoops

I think we are a centre back, a right winger and a striker away from having a chance to stay up - f**k knows if they’ll come in.
If I was Duffy I’d be working on getting at least one of those donkeys that have played in central defence for us in the last two games punted ASAP - they genuinely don’t seem to have any footballing brain whatsoever.

The kits are a fucking disaster too and this whole idea that certain people behind the scenes can just make decisions without proper consultation is a bit scary.

30 minutes ago, bigmacDFC said:

I think we are a centre back, a right winger and a striker away from having a chance to stay up - f**k knows if they’ll come in.
If I was Duffy I’d be working on getting at least one of those donkeys that have played in central defence for us in the last two games punted ASAP - they genuinely don’t seem to have any footballing brain whatsoever.

The kits are a fucking disaster too and this whole idea that certain people behind the scenes can just make decisions without proper consultation is a bit scary.

The only people making decisions are the board.

The club is reliant on volunteers for various areas but none of the volunteers have any input into club matters. Its the board and only the board making decisions.

Why don’t the club ask the fans, through whatever means, to vote out of a choice of tops? I’m sure ttl teamware must be showing the club a few selections to choose from? I’m sure within 3-4 days, the fans would have spoken?

We had this exact discussion at the game yesterday, how difficult would it be to put a poll up on the website,facebook page or the twitter page ??

Is there anyone at the club who “looks after” the marketing side of things ?

Regardless if it was one board member or all of the board members the decision to choose those specific kits was incredibly poor. It was no secret we were going to be going with stock designs - why not let the fans have some input if the kit isn’t going to be as creative as usual.

There might not be loads of people rushing to buy kits but I noticed about 3 fans yesterday wearing the new kit. Compare that to previous kit launches at the stadium and it’s night and day. Even selling 10 extra strips at £42 a pop is a decent chunk of money.

Do the club only want volunteers for specific things they can’t be arsed doing themselves? Just feels like a lot of fans are going above and beyond which while admirable should not need to be happening.

It’s all good and well listing the board names on the website but the fact most people don’t know who they are says it all. If they aren’t even putting money in then they should be the ones working on improving the stadium, organising events, encouraging new fans in and looking for funding.

The fans don’t deserve a say on the kits - but they should be whoring themselves out to raise funds for the club.