Sons' sorrow

We really are fucked. It's not even like we are organised, it's a squad of shite who don't know what they are supposed to be doing.

McGeever and Neil have to be one of the worst centre half pairings I've ever witnessed.

And now Duffy has subbed our lone striker for a right back. Get him in the bin.

I'm hoping that once we have more than 13 players we can start chucking you loanees for the season.

Ross Sinclair (GK), Ali McCann (CM) and Jordan Northcott (ST) all we have left, mind you.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm hoping that once we have more than 13 players we can start chucking you loanees for the season.

Ross Sinclair (GK), Ali McCann (CM) and Jordan Northcott (ST) all we have left, mind you.

Wid. Times a million.

I'm not going to make Thursdays Q&A but I sincerely hope someone asks a direct question about the budget. If we are genuinely skint and trying to make the best of what resources we have then fair play, but why the noises about top 4 and competitive budgets.

Thank christ Queens decided to stop trying at half time. It could've genuinely been about 10 if they wanted it to be.

I don't even really know where to start with the state of us just now. All I know is that Jim Duffy has built a squad that is absolutely nowhere near good enough for this level. It's not even like we are organised and well drilled, we look unfit and the players don't look like they have a clue what they are supposed to be doing.

I think our only hope is that Duffy fucks off before January and someone new comes in and tries to rectify his mess. Up untill that point we just have to suffer it, unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, albundy said:

I'm not going to make Thursdays Q&A but I sincerely hope someone asks a direct question about the budget. If we are genuinely skint and trying to make the best of what resources we have then fair play, but why the noises about top 4 and competitive budgets.

Folk can ask. They won't get an exact figure but I've said before that the chairman was naive with his comments about a top 4 finish. Duffy was making comments in the press about a budget that allowed him to build a competitive squad. Add 2 and 2 together and fans believed that Duffy was given the assurances that he was looking for and that top 4 would be reasonable based on Duffy's budget demands.

Thats clearly not the case.

You don't build a top 4 squad based on what we look like spending and you don't sign the players we've signed if you have more money available. Both the chairman and the manager have made comments that have raised fans expectations to a level that reality just doesnt match. 

24 minutes ago, albundy said:

I think there has been a lot of smoke & mirrors albundy, in order to get fans to buy their season tickets.

We are skint

Expect more questions than answers next Thursday.

I actually think the club is now in an existential crisis. The majority shareholder, Brabco, has not a shred of concern for the football aspect of DFC and the current on-field shambles plays right into their hands - they want to exit with money and that cannot happen under the original plan, so go do the maths.

We can criticise the current Board but they have merely inherited a steaming pile of cack from the previous regimes, including a previous Chairman who almost took the club under via a legal process. The last 15 months have been a nightmare behind the scenes with the contagion now spilling on to the park - it's what's called a cycle of despair.

I was at Cappielow and I was there today but I won't attend the Motherwell game on Tuesday evening, and for me, that's saying something. But it's like watching a stricken beast right now, and when all you ever want is for your team to compete then that's tough to take.

Sure, it's only fitba, but if you have supported a club all your life then that doesn't cut it. Having said that, I consider that Jim Duffy could and should have built a much better squad than what we have - I wonder how he will react from here onwards.

Folk can ask. They won't get an exact figure but I've said before that the chairman was naive with his comments about a top 4 finish. Duffy was making comments in the press about a budget that allowed him to build a competitive squad. Add 2 and 2 together and fans believed that Duffy was given the assurances that he was looking for and that top 4 would be reasonable based on Duffy's budget demands.
Thats clearly not the case.
You don't build a top 4 squad based on what we look like spending and you don't sign the players we've signed if you have more money available. Both the chairman and the manager have made comments that have raised fans expectations to a level that reality just doesnt match. 

Can only assume that this was done to try and shift more season tickets. ( IMO its a bit underhand if that is the case )
If anything i think it has angered/annoyed many supporters.
Many feel they have been given a false impression of what the situation is really like behind closed doors.
It would seem we are up sh*t creek without a paddle in sight.

The squad is more or less complete...maybe we can get 1 or 2 loanees but its difficult to see it changing things in a big way.

In Duffys defence you can only say its a new squad and players are also very young  so it will take time.Clutching at straws?probably but we are kinda in this boat now so we have to row.Dont think a managerial change at this point would change anything.JD should be given the same time as SA to see if he gets it right.

My biggest criticism of him would be his apparent willingness to see decent players move on.If all he did was text them then thats a poor show.We really miss Mango,Barr,Seagal,Forbes etc.They havent been replaced with the same quality, nothing like,and that clearly shows.

But perhaps our biggest challenge is staying in existence.And that being the case our on-field endeavors  are hardly helping the cause. 

Brutal stuff. Two centre backs are garbage and quitongo not much better. Keeper is pish.

McMillan and Carswell should be the pairing until some generous fan donates the money for an experienced defender.

McKee is clearly a good ball player, but when he was put to wide right he hardly had a touch, please let’s not waste (our best?) players in false positions.

Tierney looks ok - better than expected, but he defo needs someone up there with him pronto.

When we re-signed Hutton I was finding myself pleased with it to give us some kind of experience, but after that showing today I’m fully back in the get to f**k camp.

Tough times ahead.

2 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I think there has been a lot of smoke & mirrors albundy, in order to get fans to buy their season tickets.

We are skint

Expect more questions than answers next Thursday.

Disagree in part.

There hasn't been any smoke and mirrors. Relegation cost us around £175k. The club made a decent budget available to Aitken with the intention of finishing in the top 4 and having a shot at promotion. We all know how that worked out and we were probably a bit fortunate to finish the season in relative safety - even when Duffy came in we were struggling for large parts of last year.

Duffy made comments in the press about his expectations. Fans latched on to them. The chairman made comments about wanting a top 4 finish. Again the fans latched on to them. Fans were always going to make assumptions based on comments made by the manager and the chairman. Given what's happened at the club in the past 2-3 years? Those comments by Duffy and John Steele simply never stood up to scrutiny. Fans expectations were raised against everything that's happened to Dumbarton in the past 2-3 years. You don't lose £175k in income, pay decent money to a poor squad that barely scraped by to a safe position and then fund a strong, top 4 squad against a backdrop of less revenue and lower crowds. You just don't.

Where I disagree with you Silverton End is over the intention of the club and the manager. "Smoke and mirrors" suggests a deliberate attempt to con the fans and to hide the club's real position. Compare that to the improved fan engagement since the new board came in and that suggestion really doesn't stack up. Would the club really go from a position where they've been trying to repair relationships with the fans and the local community to misleading fans in order to co them out of season ticket money?

Not for me.

The club has had a poor summer. It's fallen short on what we'd all want from a board that has previously made engagement and transparency a key issue. The manager has had an absolute howler. He's built a poor squad and he's done so in what seems to be an absolute panic thanks to an entirely wasted period from the end of last season until part way through pre-season. Deliberate? I'd say that it's more honest mistake. I think the board needs to do better than it has done this summer. I think Duffy needs to show commitment to the club and demonstrate that he actually wants to be here and that he knows how to turn his squad around. None of the reasonable criticism we can level at Dumbarton has been done with any deliberate or dishonest intent. It's simply a symptom of the underlying issues at the club. We have absentee owners who care not a jot for us and who do absolutely nothing to help us. We've got a board of directors trying to do what they can with reducing resources whilst also trying to recover from the mismanagement of previous chairmen.

The club clearly needs more money. It's operating on fine margins and it would be utterly irresponsible to spend money that the club doesnt have. More than that, Dumbarton FC needs help. It needs people who can help in operational areas. It needs people who can help on match day.  It needs to rebuild a relationship with fans that has undoubtedly taken a hit this summer. In return the club needs a degree of understanding from fans. If they feel let down by comments made by the chairman and the manager back in May then there needs to be an acceptance that any mistakes have been genuine. There needs to be a constructive atmosphere between the support and the club if we're going to make sure we don't slip any further or place the future of the club in any danger.

10 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

Can only assume that this was done to try and shift more season tickets. ( IMO its a bit underhand if that is the case )
If anything i think it has angered/annoyed many supporters.
Many feel they have been given a false impression of what the situation is really like behind closed doors. 
It would seem we are up sh*t creek without a paddle in sight.

You'd be making a wrong assumption.

Trying to con the fans into taking up season tickets would go against everything that the board have tried to do since taking over at the club. The board may have made mistakes since taking over but they've been honest mistakes. We can't afford to go down a route where the fans feel that the board aren't being honest or acting with integrity because whatever the club has done this summer, the one thing that fans should be absolutely assured of is that the board of directors are acting with integrity.

If they've made mistakes then it's not through any deliberate intention to mislead.

A truly shocking day: a team badly lacking in confidence, still only Jamison's behind the bar in the decent whisky stakes and, to cap it all off, the trees outside the dugout side of the ground are now so high you can't see Ben Lomond.

You'd be making a wrong assumption.
Trying to con the fans into taking up season tickets would go against everything that the board have tried to do since taking over at the club. The board may have made mistakes since taking over but they've been honest mistakes. We can't afford to go down a route where the fans feel that the board aren't being honest or acting with integrity because whatever the club has done this summer, the one thing that fans should be absolutely assured of is that the board of directors are acting with integrity.
If they've made mistakes then it's not through any deliberate intention to mislead.

Got any proof of that ?

Can't even be bothered typing something vaguely comical here after that. So this is a link to the report: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-1-4-queen-south-18458199

Edit: I can't put into words how much I hate that kit.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

27 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Can't even be bothered typing something vaguely comical here after that. So this is a link to the report: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-1-4-queen-south-18458199

Edit: I can't put into words how much I hate that kit.

Mate if we are going to play like Berwick we may as well look like them too.

#areyouberwickindisguise

46 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

Got any proof of that ?

That the board aren't deliberately trying to con fans out of money?

Other than having various conversations with the board since they took up their positions? And the actions of the board since they took over from the chairman who tried to sink us over a soft loan he demanded was repaid when he was stripped of his position as chairman?

But aye. You keep thinking that it's a con.

On 13/07/2019 at 10:06, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He's made 125 professional appearances since he left you. That's a lot of first team football whether you want to admit it or not. He made 9 appearances for Peterhead (and scored 2 goals), at the age of 19, with 7 professional appearances to his name.

Forgive me for not judging him on the opinion of some teuchter no mark, who is basing that opinion on 9 appearances he made 6 years ago when he was hugely inexperienced.

So is McGeever settling in well?  

That the board aren't deliberately trying to con fans out of money?
Other than having various conversations with the board since they took up their positions? And the actions of the board since they took over from the chairman who tried to sink us over a soft loan he demanded was repaid when he was stripped of his position as chairman?
But aye. You keep thinking that it's a con.

Never said it was a “con”

All i said was it was “a bit under hand”

So yes,I will continue to feel annoyed considering I’ve committed 250 quid for a season ticket on the basis we would be putting up some kind of fight this season.

Some folk just cant see anyone disagree or say anything thats not positive about the club.

Its a shit storm at the club. We are in a bad way off the pitch and on the pitch.

Pure and simple..