Sons' sorrow

8 minutes ago, Steven W said:

I was at the friendly match v dundee united last week. The big no. 16 that day (Faal?) to my surprise doesn't seem to have been signed up. 

Any word on the inside story there? He looked a really useful player

Seems he was injured & sat out the Hamilton Accies friendly. No idea whether he's in Duffy's plans or not.

I was at the friendly match v dundee united last week. The big no. 16 that day (Faal?) to my surprise doesn't seem to have been signed up. 
Any word on the inside story there? He looked a really useful player
At the time I couldn't decide if he was great or awful. He looked a real handful one minute and a complete donkey the next, but as time has gone on I'm actually disappointed we haven't seen more of him. I think he was due to start the Hamilton match but picked up an injury in the warm up so he may well still be kicking around.

Given we already have Layne, Loy, Crossan and Tierney as options up front Duffy may well have decided against taking a punt on him.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

At the time I couldn't decide if he was great or awful. He looked a real handful one minute and a complete donkey the next, but as time has gone on I'm actually disappointed we haven't seen more of him. I think he was due to start the Hamilton match but picked up an injury in the warm up so he may well still be kicking around.

Given we already have Layne, Loy, Crossan and Tierney as options up front Duffy may well have decided against taking a punt on him.

I'd prefer to take a chance on The Gambian Peter Crouch rather than Isaac Layne, who's been around the circuit and produced very little tbh. Cannot recall Layne ever really standing out any time he faced us in opposition.

Big Faal should be a shoe-in for our team of misfits.

3 hours ago, microdave said:

One win and I'm getting carried away. I've been looking up the record of the best runners up in the last three years to see how many points we might need to progress to the tv stages. It's time to put the Internet down and concentrate on the beer. Copyright Old Scrotum.

Morton away and QoS home were winnable games a few short years ago...

You’d need 9 points to get through IMO.

Morton away and QoS home were winnable games a few short years ago...
You’d need 9 points to get through IMO.

A couple of teams have gained nine points and not made it through in the past two years. The next two were winnable as you say but I doubt it'll happen this time. I'm back to reality now!

Sons TV have announced that they will be concentrating on covering as many home games as possible this season.

That is very disappointing news. Sons TV is known for being a very good highlights package and I know many sons fans who rely on it as they are not able to attend every game and as most fans do try and see as many home games as possible and leave the away days to the hardcore.

If anything they should be concentrating on the away games, not the home ones.

20 minutes ago, super-son said:

Sons TV have announced that they will be concentrating on covering as many home games as possible this season.

That is very disappointing news. Sons TV is known for being a very good highlights package and I know many sons fans who rely on it as they are not able to attend every game and as most fans do try and see as many home games as possible and leave the away days to the hardcore.

I may be wrong here, but in the past SonsTV have needed a sponsor to cover the volunteers expenses, it may be we don't have that, or that the volunteer no longer has the time.

Most of the other clubs have highlights anyway so most games will be covered.

32 minutes ago, super-son said:

I wonder if there's be any interest in getting a few folk to chip in for it or something. I'd probably pay a fiver a month or something for highlights like last season.

It’s very, very time consuming. You’re asking a volunteer to give up pretty much their entire weekend &, if they’re a fan, not actually be able to watch the match.

first person in the stand, last person out it, cutting the 90 mins down to the highlights takes multiple passes over it, then rendering that video on a normal pc/laptop is very power intensive.

I never for a second regret having done it, the timing accidentally covered an amazing period for the club but to do it right takes time & is a big ask of a person.

13 hours ago, Silverton End said:

I'd prefer to take a chance on The Gambian Peter Crouch rather than Isaac Layne, who's been around the circuit and produced very little tbh. Cannot recall Layne ever really standing out any time he faced us in opposition.

Big Faal should be a shoe-in for our team of misfits.

Imagine we got our move to the Dalmoak Superdome? We'd be the Renton Rejects

Edited by the snudge

Did I spend my Saturday evening writing the report from yesterday, only for my computer to kick its legs up in the air and refuse to upload it to the website?

Yes.

Are you going to read this online and not screenshot it? If you know what's good for you then you are...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/dumbarton-fc-seal-victory-first-18208072

I wonder if there's be any interest in getting a few folk to chip in for it or something. I'd probably pay a fiver a month or something for highlights like last season.
That's a good idea. I'd be more than happy doing £5-10 a month for a highlights package. Surely there would be enough people interested in that to make it affordable to actually hire someone to do the filming and editing.

It’s very, very time consuming. You’re asking a volunteer to give up pretty much their entire weekend &, if they’re a fan, not actually be able to watch the match.
first person in the stand, last person out it, cutting the 90 mins down to the highlights takes multiple passes over it, then rendering that video on a normal pc/laptop is very power intensive.
I never for a second regret having done it, the timing accidentally covered an amazing period for the club but to do it right takes time & is a big ask of a person.

The problem, as with most of these types of thing, is that it’s very seldom a one person job. I don’t know who ran it last season, they did a very good job, but if it was solely down to them it’s understandable that they now want to step back a bit from doing it.

Anyway yesterday’s result was a welcome bit of positivity after the last few weeks. I couldn’t male the game but by all accounts we were solid if unspectacular; but we’ll take that. All good teams start by being difficult to beat.

Having recently dabbled in videography and Adobe Premiere Pro I've experienced first hand how time consuming it can be. There are also a lot of costs involved, a monthly subscription for Photoshop, Lightroom and Premier Pro is almost 50 quid. That's before you get started on gear, tripods, lenses and travelling to games.

Home games will do IMO, most other teams do highlights anyway.

Just throwing my feelers out.

If I reached out to the club and tried organising a wee filming session with Duffy and/or Carswell to preview the season ahead would there be an interest in it?

Watching the highlights on Annan's youtube page I see they've put a wee bit of effort in to their pre season in terms of video content.

I'd be behind camera so feel free to volunteer for the role of host!