Sons' sorrow

The mention of Rory Loy encouraged me to listen again to his Tell Him He's Pele podcast from a year ago. Worth a listen if you haven't heard it.

He comes across as a genuine, intelligent guy and it was clear he was looking forward to his move into part-time football with Dumbarton. A real pity his injuries ruled him out for most of the season.

It's still not looking promising but...I'd love it (a la Kevin Keegan) if he could come back to full fitness and prove himself in a Sons strip.
Been listening to them all again recently and I second this. I'm not entirely sure how Dumbarton fans view him given he's taken a wage whilst being out of action the whole time, but he comes across really well and was genuinely looking forward to playing for the Sons.

5 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

. They either need to abandon this group garbage and make it a straight up knockout tournament or allow trialists and give teams and free agent players a further 4 games for contracts to be sorted out.

No they don't. 

The group stage works fine, if they allowed trialists people would view it as another jobbie cup like the challenge Cup. Let's no distract from the fact Duffy was so unprepared he couldn't even field a team of trialists last week to make it out that the cups a problem, it's no secret when it starts. 

PJ Crossan burst onto the scene a few years back and performed so well Celtic paid for him, he's absolutely had potential so I hope he does well. 

6 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

This is very true, the problem is though that we have to sign players for the league cup. Can we give them one month contracts?

No. You cant. Minimum contract length to 1st January.

5 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It's stacked against us in terms of getting out of a group stage. With that in mind it's really an inconvenience.

We can't play trialists so we need to either sign our squad before the cup or run with a short bench and risk guys who aren't at full fitness picking up knocks because we can't rotate them. They either need to abandon this group garbage and make it a straight up knockout tournament or allow trialists and give teams and free agent players a further 4 games for contracts to be sorted out.

Because Dumbartin are in a mess and struggling to sign a squad the whole tournament should be revamped? Doesnt seem as if most other clubs have any great issue with it? The group stages have generally been popular and the prize money is much better than it was before, pretty important for clubs like Dumbarton I would have thought?

4 hours ago, rockson said:

Isn't that what it was designed for?

Diddy teams aren't supposed to progress you know.

It was designed to guarantee every club 4 games instead of 1 and ensure everybody got at least one half gate receipt from a top division side as well as improved commercial revenues and prize money. All of which it is pretty much achieving. 

'Diddy teams' have progressed before and will again. Alloa won their group one year and were seeded next round. 

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

No they don't. 

The group stage works fine, if they allowed trialists people would view it as another jobbie cup like the challenge Cup. Let's no distract from the fact Duffy was so unprepared he couldn't even field a team of trialists last week to make it out that the cups a problem, it's no secret when it starts. 

PJ Crossan burst onto the scene a few years back and performed so well Celtic paid for him, he's absolutely had potential so I hope he does well. 

It's already treated like a preseason friendly tournament by just about every part time side. Letting them play trialists won't change a thing. The group stage works fine if you're a full time side with a hope of getting out of it, for the rest of us it's just an extention of preseason and a good cup over before the season starts. It's pish. 

36 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's already treated like a preseason friendly tournament by just about every part time side. Letting them play trialists won't change a thing. The group stage works fine if you're a full time side with a hope of getting out of it, for the rest of us it's just an extention of preseason and a good cup over before the season starts. It's pish. 

The group stage works fine for everyone. If you choose to treat it as a pre season game don't be shocked when you first progressed. Since the group stages we've had Peterhead, Ayr United and Alloa have qualified for the knockout stages, while not an awful lot how many part time sides were reaching the last 16 in the last setup? 

Albion Rovers, East Fife, Peterhead, Arbroath and Airdrie have also finished second. I'm sure they would've enjoyed there league Cup that year! It genuinely gives part time sides the best chance for a cup upset, playing full time sides when they're rusty, throws up interesting local game and gives a guaranteed amount of games. I think it's great. The league cups always been seeded and reasonably difficult to make headway in. 

. Since the group stages we've had Peterhead, Ayr United and Alloa have qualified for the knockout stages, while not an awful lot how many part time sides were reaching the last 16 in the last setup? 

3 sides in 3 seasons. In the previous 3 only Stranraer got to the last 16. The groups are absolutely fine and it seems everyone apart from Dumbarton are ready, get your shit together and don’t blame anyone else for not having players.

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No. You cant. Minimum contract length to 1st January.

Have Falkirk not given Denny Johnstone a one month contract?

3 sides in 3 seasons. In the previous 3 only Stranraer got to the last 16. The groups are absolutely fine and it seems everyone apart from Dumbarton are ready, get your shit together and don’t blame anyone else for not having players.

Realisticly the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a part-time manager who welcomes the group stages. For part-time sides with small squads it's a huge inconvenience. For example we've only retained 3 of last seasons squad, that's a huge amount of new players to sign by the 2nd week in July.

That being said it's not like the Betfred Cup has come up and bitten us in the arse out of nowhere. We should be far better prepared than we are, whether we like the early start and lack of trialists or not.

The obvious solution would be to allow 2 or 3 trialists. It wont become the Irn Bru/Tunnocks Cup by allowing trialists. That cup is a shambles because of the teams involved, not because trialists can play. The fact we can play trialists in our league but not a cup that starts in the middle of July is just plain stupid. I don't mind the format of the Betfred Cup, but making it a bit easier for the part-time sides to bulk numbers wouldn't be too much to ask.

2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Nobody is blaming anyone other than Duffy for us being in this situation, he's knwon the score and we're still scrambling, but go and ask every manager (full time sides included) if they'd like trialists to be allowed and I guarantee you it's an overwhelming yes.

1 minute ago, the snudge said:

Do we need to register a set kit for the cup games with the SPFL prior to the games commencing or can we show up and play in whatever we like? 

I would have thought so.

Your match secretary will email the referee prior to the game with your choice of kit to ensure there is no clash with the opposition and funnily enough, the match officials.