Sons' sorrow

Findlay and Barry had, the vastly experienced, Andy Graham beside them.

At the moment our only real ‘experience’ in defence is Jordan McMillan (106 league appearances) and he isn’t a natural centre back.

I would have the absolute fear with a 18 year old loanee partnering Neill in central defence.

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

In all honesty the cup group is an extension on preseason. Glorified friendlies. I wouldn't panic yet, there will be alot of movement with loans and other clubs rejected trialists. 

This is very true, the problem is though that we have to sign players for the league cup. Can we give them one month contracts?

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

In all honesty the cup group is an extension on preseason. Glorified friendlies. I wouldn't panic yet, there will be alot of movement with loans and other clubs rejected trialists. 

A pity that the League Cup has ended up this way, do well enough and get out of your Section and you could draw the old firm or hearts/hibs away and earn some cash.

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

A pity that the League Cup has ended up this way, do well enough and get out of your Section and you could draw the old firm or hearts/hibs away and earn some cash.

It's stacked against us in terms of getting out of a group stage. With that in mind it's really an inconvenience.

We can't play trialists so we need to either sign our squad before the cup or run with a short bench and risk guys who aren't at full fitness picking up knocks because we can't rotate them. They either need to abandon this group garbage and make it a straight up knockout tournament or allow trialists and give teams and free agent players a further 4 games for contracts to be sorted out.

8 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It's stacked against us in terms of getting out of a group stage. With that in mind it's really an inconvenience.

We can't play trialists so we need to either sign our squad before the cup or run with a short bench and risk guys who aren't at full fitness picking up knocks because we can't rotate them. They either need to abandon this group garbage and make it a straight up knockout tournament or allow trialists and give teams and free agent players a further 4 games for contracts to be sorted out.

Completely agree with this - it is too early in the season (Wimbledon won't have finished before the first games start, for goodness sake) and the format discriminates against the smaller clubs who have to rebuild a squad every year. 

3 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

If we get McKee I can see him being our top goal scorer this season.

Most people are screaming for defenders and a winger which undoubtedly we need.But IMO we really need an out and out striker.Tierney, Layne dont fit the bill and Loy is obviously done.Where will our goals in all honestly come from?

35 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

Completely agree with this - it is too early in the season (Wimbledon won't have finished before the first games start, for goodness sake) and the format discriminates against the smaller clubs who have to rebuild a squad every year. 

Isn't that what it was designed for?

Diddy teams aren't supposed to progress you know.

So at least five signings to be announced today or tomorrow.

My guess would be Zata, Quitongo, PJ Crossan, Boris and Langan and it will be the most underwhelming quintuple signing announcement in the history of association football.

Duffy to play PJ Crossan out wide for the entire season as we fail to attract any further wingers and just stockpile jobber centre mids and shunt them around when required.

I reckon PJ Crossan has the potential to be a really good player at this level. I remember him being terrifyingly good when he came on as a sub for Alloa a coupe of seasons ago, however I think he’s struggled with injuries.

One of those signings that could go either way.

The mention of Rory Loy encouraged me to listen again to his Tell Him He's Pele podcast from a year ago. Worth a listen if you haven't heard it.

He comes across as a genuine, intelligent guy and it was clear he was looking forward to his move into part-time football with Dumbarton. A real pity his injuries ruled him out for most of the season.

It's still not looking promising but...I'd love it (a la Kevin Keegan) if he could come back to full fitness and prove himself in a Sons strip.