Sons' sorrow

Really poor at centre half.

Tierney looks a lot more comfortable dropping off the front which is unfortunate when he's up front himself.

A lot poorer than Saturday but theres been some decent sparks.

Faal is sitting in the stand which suggests he might still be in the plans.

Quitongo aside none of the trialists are really doing much for me tonight. Sure I saw McKee in the warm-up but I don't think he's out with the other subs. My eyes weren't playing tricks on me, were they?

Neill looks a bombscare btw.

Quitongo aside none of the trialists are really doing much for me tonight. Sure I saw McKee in the warm-up but I don't think he's out with the other subs. My eyes weren't playing tricks on me, were they?
Neill looks a bombscare btw.
McKee was very quickly called down the tunnel after half time.

Well that was fucking bad. 4 days out from the first competitive fixture and Stuart Carswell looks far and away our best centre half, and even he was well off the pace tonight. When McKee came on, Crawford moved to his natural position and we looked a bit more comfortable but we had absolutely nothing going forward. Crossan has something about him but isn't a wide player for me. Zata not involved enough. McCluskey looked like the only player we had on the pitch but again no final ball (not that he had a lot of options). Neill was silent the entire first half when we needed him organising things, when McMillan came on and was barking out orders Neill found his voice, but he needs to be much, much stronger in every department to convince me he'll be good enough. Looked slow and unsure. Quitongo a bit sketchy at the back but has something going forward.

The rest of the trialists looked nowhere near the required standard and if that's the pool of players we're choosing from we're in trouble. We have a lot(!) of work to be done to look anything like a League 1 side. Without wanting to sound too negative, Duffy needs to work a miracle here...

Pettigrew never had an issue second half, plenty possession second half, Pitt we lost a goal early doors, set the tempo, and we have to remember Hamilton are two leagues above us. Tierney seemed reasonably useful, mccluskey was decent, I wouldn’t be adverse to a few signing. Definitely a training match, but we weren’t that bad. Hopefully a couple of decent loanees can come in though, with some quality.

28 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Definitely a training match, but we weren’t that bad.

I don't remember a shot at goal, certainly not one troubling the target. I get it's preseason and I wasn't expecting a classic but other than one or two nice wee touches it was as bad as any match I've watched. I was hoping to be encouraged after peoples comments on Saturday but we're a long way off where we need to be.

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Didn’t the Stenny fans think Neill was quite solid?

Tonight he looked like a Poundland Ben Gordon - we must hope he forms a partnership with McMillan.  As for the rest of the team, well on tonight's evidence  keep your expectations low.  If there is no one else on the horizon we'll need some inspired loans, that's for sure.

Really like Dumbarton and wish you all the best but after watching that tonight, I really think you will struggle this season.

I can only remember our keeper making one save and that was from a deflection off our own defender.

Either you'll struggle or our youngsters are going to be very good.

Was Brian McLean any good last season? We’ve got him on trial but I seem to recall him getting a bit of a slating on here after his performances for Dumbarton, unless if I’m confusing him with someone else. 

Was Brian McLean any good last season? We’ve got him on trial but I seem to recall him getting a bit of a slating on here after his performances for Dumbarton, unless if I’m confusing him with someone else. 
He was fine without being outstanding...that said we definitely tightened up at the back when he came in

Let’s have some wild kit speculation to take our minds off the impending disaster. I can’t make my mind up if Verona’s third kit is too much like a rugby top or not. It still might be nice in our colours just as something a bit different though.

2445DF80-A032-4607-B62C-3F6DB8ED3B83.jpeg

I didn't get too carried away with Saturday's win, so I won't get too carried away with that defeat. First 25 minutes or so Hamilton were miles in front. They buzzed the ball about brilliantly and looked very quick and sharp. Combine that with some comical DFC defending and it's no surprise the game was over by half-time.

We badly need an experienced CB to partner Neill or just replace him altogether. He was all over the shop tonight. Maybe McMillan will be that man, but I'm not sure...He is very vocal though, there's no doubting that.

I'd be fine going into the season with Crawford and Quitongo as our starting full-backs, but again it would be nice to have someone else able to play there given it's the guys first seasons of senior football. Finding the right balance in midfield looks like it might be a struggle again. Assuming Zata has signed, I wouldn't be shocked to see him and Hutton together with Carsy at centre-half. Certainly not for the start of the season anyway. I don't think there's any doubt that we should be pushing the boat out a wee bit for McKee because he clearly makes us a better team, despite being a bit slacker last night than on Saturday.

Further forward I'm really positive about McCluskey. I had feared a few seasons in Juniors might've taken the edge off his game a wee bit, but he's looked just like the player I remember from Morton: Hardworking, direct, exciting...And with a pretty random end product. You can't help but admire the amount of work he does, he literally doesn't stop running. I was worried about Tierney after the first 20 minutes, but slowly he grow into the half. He's a skilful wee guy and relatively strong when he's got his back to goal, but he badly needed support and I'm not really sure who we have in the squad to provide that. If we're only bringing in one striker it's going to have to be a good one - but at the moment I can't see us scoring many.

Anyway, I stayed up until after midnight to write the match report for you guys, so you'll damn well go on and read it.