Sons' sorrow

This is beginning to look very serious indeed, and if there is some sort of Mexican stand-off going on between Duffy, the Board and Brabco then the biggest loser will be Dumbarton Football Club.

If we cannot start the regular season then I fear there will be sanctions which further continues the downward spiral. I get the distinct feeling we may not have to wait long before things come to a head, and not in a good way.

Barry Smith the Brechin manager had said in the local paper last week this is the hardest Transfer window he has been in to get players,he said he had spoke to other managers that were saying the same.

Brabco have nothing to do with it I think. The club board set the budget and deal with all the day to day operational stuff as I understand it.

The club need to give Duffy a budget that matches their expectations, or vice versa. If what the club have given Duffy isn't enough to keep the likes of Bobby or seagal then perhaps their and our expectations need to change. Unless the hope was always to stay in this league and nothing more.

1 minute ago, mo83 said:

Barry Smith the Brechin manager had said in the local paper last week this is the hardest Transfer window he has been in to get players,he said he had spoke to other managers that were saying the same.

What they're really thinking is ' It's just you Barry, just you'

Brabco have nothing to do with it I think. The club board set the budget and deal with all the day to day operational stuff as I understand it.

The club need to give Duffy a budget that matches their expectations, or vice versa. If what the club have given Duffy isn't enough to keep the likes of Bobby or seagal then perhaps their and our expectations need to change. Unless the hope was always to stay in this league and nothing more.
Trust me, Brabco have PLENTY to do with it.

I was wondering what would be the ramifications in the (hopefully) unlikely event that the club wasn’t able to secure enough players for the first league game of the season ?

Would we be deducted points or have a financial penalty to pay ??

It wont happen for the LC either. Ok the standard of player might be shite but we will field a team. The board wont let it get to that, the financial implications would be horrendous for a club like us.
If Duffy is making some sort of point by refusing to play trialists in friendlies, or indeed sign anyone, then he should go as the situation isnt helping anyone.

So current starting line up for Saturday looks like:
Brennan
@optimistic Neill McMillan LB
Carswell Hutton 
Mccluskey @the snudge Scullion

Tierney

On the bench:

Pettigrew
@C'mon_the_Sons (only fit enough for the bench Right wing/back)

Putting Scullion in at left mid as no one else and assuming Tierney is fit. Anyone up for playing? Looking for a left back/mid. 😄

33 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Brennan
Carswell Hutton 

Tierney

On the bench:

Pettigrew

Putting Scullion in at left mid as no one else and assuming Tierney is fit. Anyone up for playing? Looking for a left back/mid. 😄

Jenky at left back, cracking left peg.

1 hour ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Brennan
Carswell Hutton 

Tierney

On the bench:

Pettigrew

I'm a right back. None of this midfield malarkey. Moonster on the wing because he looks like Messi. 

I've noticed on the Facebook ground there appears to be quite a high number of fans who don't seem all that concerned by the current situation. Telling others to calm down, trust in Duffy etc etc.

I'll be honest it does feel like at time our support are either extreme knicker wetters or extreme happy clappers, with very few sitting somewhere in the middle. I think in this situation fans are quite right to be concerned and I really can't get my head around all the 'calm down' type stuff being posted. In order to field a starting 11 for our first competetive game we need 6 signings in a week, there's a very strong possibility we might not be able to achieve that. The signings we've made so far just come across as lazy (players Duffy has worked with before/exit trial guys no one else wants) and on paper we look miles off of League 1 standard.

At first I had confidence Duffy would pull something out the bag and we'd be going into the season looking like we'd be able to try and push for mid table but I think it's got to a stage now it would take a miracle for us to look like a comfortable mid table side. Our situation is verging on ridiculous and I really hope the board are ready to step in asap. What they can do at this stage I don't know but it's clear Duffy needs a rocket up his arse pronto. He's also costing us revenue by refusing to field trialists he might not sign in pre season friendlies. Even if he doesn't sign the trialists I don't think they'd be against getting minutes under their belts and trying to earn a deal elsewhere.

I'm absolutely scunnered with it all and it's probably the first time in my life I've been properly dreading a season starting.

19 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I've noticed on the Facebook ground there appears to be quite a high number of fans who don't seem all that concerned by the current situation. Telling others to calm down, trust in Duffy etc etc.

I'll be honest it does feel like at time our support are either extreme knicker wetters or extreme happy clappers, with very few sitting somewhere in the middle. I think in this situation fans are quite right to be concerned and I really can't get my head around all the 'calm down' type stuff being posted. In order to field a starting 11 for our first competetive game we need 6 signings in a week, there's a very strong possibility we might not be able to achieve that. The signings we've made so far just come across as lazy (players Duffy has worked with before/exit trial guys no one else wants) and on paper we look miles off of League 1 standard.

At first I had confidence Duffy would pull something out the bag and we'd be going into the season looking like we'd be able to try and push for mid table but I think it's got to a stage now it would take a miracle for us to look like a comfortable mid table side. Our situation is verging on ridiculous and I really hope the board are ready to step in asap. What they can do at this stage I don't know but it's clear Duffy needs a rocket up his arse pronto. He's also costing us revenue by refusing to field trialists he might not sign in pre season friendlies. Even if he doesn't sign the trialists I don't think they'd be against getting minutes under their belts and trying to earn a deal elsewhere.

I'm absolutely scunnered with it all and it's probably the first time in my life I've been properly dreading a season starting.

Correct on all points.

15 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

It wont happen for the LC either. Ok the standard of player might be shite but we will field a team. The board wont let it get to that, the financial implications would be horrendous for a club like us.
If Duffy is making some sort of point by refusing to play trialists in friendlies, or indeed sign anyone, then he should go as the situation isnt helping anyone.

I hope you are right mate but it really isnt looking hopeful.8 signings by monday....ooft