Sons' sorrow

11 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Half a dozen trialists could have made up the team tonight & brought a few grand in through the turnstiles & Bar72 maybe.

Brechin fielded about 8 trialists at the weekend, but in @JanVojacek's excellent piece in the Lennox Herald duffy says he doesn't believe in just getting guys in to make up the numbers.

I've got to agree, whilst I expect we'd probably only have made about £1K from the game last night it's £1K that we could do with. I understand Duffy's point of view and if we weren't 10 days away from our first competitive game I'd agree with him, but we're very much now at the point where we need bodies in to make up the numbers. I'm amazed that with Jim's experience and contacts within the game that we're in this situation tbh, and it's clear we'll be treating these cup matches as glorified friendlies yet again.

31 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Clearly Duffy feels he can get quality without forking out loads on guys who are quick to be snapped up, it’s a risky strategy, but I do trust Duffy, just hope it works

Let's hope so.  When he came out commenting saying he would need to speak with the board about things to see if we was staying on, I just assumed it was to make sure he wouldn't need to do what we appear to be doing right now, signing junior and lowland players and that he would be able to bring in a good standard of player.

If he does indeed have a decent budget but is choosing to low ball players with stupid offers and sign players for chocolate buttons then he is a nutter.

4 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Half a dozen trialists could have made up the team tonight & brought a few grand in through the turnstiles & Bar72 maybe.

Brechin fielded about 8 trialists at the weekend, but in @JanVojacek's excellent piece in the Lennox Herald duffy says he doesn't believe in just getting guys in to make up the numbers.

...which is usually said just before an agent phones Duffy and he signs a cartload of their ringers on six month deals. 

4 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Hope you appreciated the wee P.I.T.K I dropped to make up for last week 😉

If we have until Monday to get the paperwork through for the Betfred Cup we realisticly need another 8 or 9 signed by then. We currently only have 5 fit outfield players.

This has been an utterly shambolic summer of business from Duffy. His signings look piss poor, his bleating about budgets and timescales is becoming tiring and his lack of urgency is becoming infuriating. Some teams have played up to 3 friendlies thus far and we've had 1 closed doors kick about that no one knows anything about.

We've got to the stage now where there is genuinely very few experienced campaigners left to sign. Joe McKee is about our only hope for a bit of quality and experience and if I was him I wouldn't touch us with a bargepole.

Jim Duffy right now:
this_is_fine.jpg.539a4ae58e481893c9de996fefbdbdae.jpg
f**k knows what he's playing at tbh. It's not like this transfer window thing has jumped up out of nowhere and slapped him in his baldy heid.

I think we can safely say Saturday's game wont be going ahead unless old stubborn arse agrees to pad out the squad with trialists (like everyone else).