Sons' sorrow

Wilf, For different reasons , I find drumming at games really annoying. Just as at the cup final a guy next me had some sort of trumpet which I really wanted to turn into a suppository. Do you still play with the band?.. If so how do you deal with the drumming? It's not a big issue with me as I dont get to many games

39 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

The drum is clearly audible in Crosslet Road  on match days.

The violence though wasn't tolerated or encouraged by the club. The comparison is spurious. 

My estrangement and that of my daughter from the club is complete and permanent. That decision has been made much easier by the comments on here. One from a guy to whom I have been quite helpful to on a couple of occasions who thinks I'm being a "dick" . The ad hominem nature of the insults is disappointing but in the end, not surprising. I shouldn't have brought the issue up again.

Apologies.

No apology required. I, for one, very much enjoy these debates/banter and it's much better than the usual stuff about who we should sign and who plays better in what position. 

#longlivedrumgate

If your geriatric fans can’t cope with a couple of kids playing a drum you best steer well clear when the shawfield boys are in town!

Football is much more enjoyable with bigger crowds and a bit of atmosphere. What I’ve read on the last few pages here is pathetic at best.

Being on a fast track to league 2 will probably suit you to be honest, most matches there have an atmosphere similar to the moon.

48 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

So is the sound of the fans, road traffic etc. Sound will travel a long distance if not interrupted on the way. The issue here seems to be loudness (essentially sound intensity) and that drum is most certainly not loud.

45 minutes ago, boagheidboab said:

Wilf, For different reasons , I find drumming at games really annoying. Just as at the cup final a guy next me had some sort of trumpet which I really wanted to turn into a suppository. Do you still play with the band?.. If so how do you deal with the drumming? It's not a big issue with me as I dont get to many games

What? Wilf who is agitated by the sound of drumming plays in a band? This thread is growing arms and legs.

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

The violence though wasn't tolerated or encouraged by the club. The comparison is spurious. 

My estrangement and that of my daughter from the club is complete and permanent. That decision has been made much easier by the comments on here. One from a guy to whom I have been quite helpful to on a couple of occasions who thinks I'm being a "dick" . The ad hominem nature of the insults is disappointing but in the end, not surprising. I shouldn't have brought the issue up again.

Apologies.

I haven't called you a dick and I've always thanked you for your help.

I'd suggest that it would be time well spent if we had a drummer who could teach the kids how to actually keep to a tempo and rhythm. They're enthusiastic and I'm not knocking them for it but a wee bit of practice wouldn't go amiss.

IMG_6366.jpg

6 minutes ago, Johnny Red said:

Kyle Wilkie will be next apparently

No idea if you're saying that to move conversation on, or if there's some truth in it - but given your record with ITK info I'll run with it.

I'd be happy with that. He looked good against us for Airdrie last season, and I've been hoping we might chuck something his way since last summer. Compared to some of our other signings he's practically a marquee name too!

2 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Apologies.

I'm not a Dumbarton fan so dont take umbrage with them over this question, but what medical condition means you cant sit near the drum during a match?

It's not something ive ever heard of before.

5% of people not renewing you say over a drum?

What’s the percentage of new season tickets amongst the new drumming brigade?

Would the club rather turn 20 people say, away, and keep half a dozen long standing season ticket holders. These guys could be our next long time season ticket holders, buy bigger headphones,

No idea if you're saying that to move conversation on, or if there's some truth in it - but given your record with ITK info I'll run with it.
I'd be happy with that. He looked good against us for Airdrie last season, and I've been hoping we might chuck something his way since last summer. Compared to some of our other signings he's practically a marquee name too!
Doesn't he come with a history of being injury prone?

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not a Dumbarton fan so dont take umbrage with them over this question, but what medical condition means you cant sit near the drum during a match?

It's not something ive ever heard of before.

Misophonia. Commonly suffered by those with Fibromyaligia and Chronic Fatigue.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

2 hours ago, boagheidboab said:

I have no problem in the band. The drumming is in time and accompanies music. I'm fortunate in fact that very few noises bring on my misaphonia . Unfortunately a randomly played, out of time drum is top of the list.

Just answering by way of explanation to a question.

There’s been a number of personal insults here interspersed with some considered compassion, but I can’t get my head around, what would the best ‘happy medium’ be that we could try to achieve?

I really can’t think where the middle is in this argument, it seems one or t’other which is very sad indeed.

But hey, Kyle Wilkie. At least we’ve heard of him which’d be most welcome if he were to sign.

17 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

There’s been a number of personal insults here interspersed with some considered compassion, but I can’t get my head around, what would the best ‘happy medium’ be that we could try to achieve?

There is no happy medium to be achieved. The noise from the stand, drumming or otherwise, is there. There's no problem with what Wilf has done - it gives him uncomfortable symptoms so he's staying away. I think it was that some people think the drum should be banned that annoyed a number of us. I have a friend who doesn't go to gigs anymore as the sound worsens her tinnitus significantly. So she doesn't go anymore, the sensible thing to do. She doesn't ask the band or hall owner to drop the sound down to 60 dB so she's comfortable. This thread has turned into us v Wilf which was never the case. Posters had sympathy for Wilf -  it was the people he spoke to in the Helensburgh co-op who said they weren't returning due to the "incessant f*****g noise" that other posters took umbrage with. As I said before, an excuse to stop attending a long standing arrangement is much easier to present if there is someone or something to blame.