Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Best Team in Angus said:
How does drumming affect the body?
Drumming induces deep relaxation, lowers blood pressure, produces feelings of well-being, a release of emotional trauma and reduces stress. ... Specifically,drumming promotes the production of endorphins and endogenous opiates, thebodies own morphine-like pain killers, and can thereby help to control pain.

Ahhhh so Wilf doesn't want to cut about with a hard on? 

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:
3 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:
All i heard was that we have 9 players with a closed door bounce game next Friday.Hopes to have a full team by the LC ties.Not much else but i didnt hear all of it.

I'd hope we have a full team by LC ties as I'm sure we cant play trialists!

LOL..aye i think JD was half joking!!!Didnt say there was anyone about to sign.I would rather he took his time to get the right players.A lot i reckon will come from PL youngsters..especially teams like Hibs who wont be playing in the reserve league.

4 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

I wasnt going to wade into this debate but here I am. I think anyone who says they arnt attending due to a "bit if noise" follows the wrong sport. Football is loved across the world for the atmosphere created by fans, have the boys to stop supporting, singing and banging a drum because it upsets a few folk?
If its medical reasons then fair enough but being pissed off at a bit of noise borders on pathetic.
I am not for one moment denying the support that wilf or anyone else has given the club over the years. Anyone who gives up time, money or otherwise to help the club should be applauded, however there is a young group of fans coming through, they should also be applauded and encouraged.

Indeed, and certainly not discouraged which I fear might happen. Hopefully they'll be back this season and don't go off following either of the old firm. I'm thinking of buying them another drum if they return.

I'd suggest that it would be time well spent if we had a drummer who could teach the kids how to actually keep to a tempo and rhythm. They're enthusiastic and I'm not knocking them for it but a wee bit of practice wouldn't go amiss.

Get Nelson on the blower. Drummer extraordinaire.

8 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'd suggest that it would be time well spent if we had a drummer who could teach the kids how to actually keep to a tempo and rhythm. They're enthusiastic and I'm not knocking them for it but a wee bit of practice wouldn't go amiss.

They're about 10 years old. I honestly can't believe this is still in discussion. Let them bloody enjoy themselves and if you're not attending football because the noise is too loud then perhaps tennis is more your sport. 

Can you imagine going to a steward and saying "could you ask the Tartan Army to calm down with that drum?". You'd laughed out the stadium, yet here we are talking about compromise and drum lessons. A suitable code of acceptable conduct was even requested earlier. Here's one, come to the game, enjoy yourself, don't be a dick to others. Everyones happy.

55 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Here's one, come to the game, enjoy yourself, don't be a dick to others. Everyones happy.

Here's a 2nd.  If someone's upsetting you at the game, sort it the proper way by square go-ing them, rather than whining about it like a bitch behind the safety of your internet connection. *

*Not necessarily my actual recommendation.

I’ve not been around much of late, but this is a discussion that the subject of very much affects the club so here goes.

It’s a crying shame that a supporter such as Wilf feels he has no option but to not renew his season tickets as a result of something happening in our stadium due to a medical condition. I wouldn’t dream of professing to be a medical person so I won’t and others shouldn’t, pass judgment on that. It’s sad though, that’s for sure.

If there are others who are jumping aboard a similar boat due to annoyance and being pissed off about the drum/noise etc and don’t have medical reasons then that’s nothing short of pathetic.

We want to bring in new supporters. We do and they make a bit of noise and they’re chastised. How do we win in this situation?! Football has changed over the last 50 years. It’s no longer a ‘sit and watch’ affair, atmosphere plays a huge part in it, particularly for younger fans, how often is it mentioned across the globe about the atmosphere within a stadium?!

Our support is awash with elder statesmen (and women) and there’s nothing wrong with that whatsoever but it can’t be overlooked that often younger supporters are looked upon with distain and treated with contempt almost. I’m in no way suggesting a connection here but the latter is disappointing to say the least.

The fact remains that we desperately need to blood in new supporters, now and for the foreseeable. However it seems a thankless task to try and do so given some of the attitudes evident on here and on match days. The phrase darned if you do, darned if you don’t, comes to mind. I’m glad it’s not my job to try and get new faces in the door.

Thanks to all seater stadiums football is much more of a 'sit and watch' affair now than it was fifty years ago when the atmosphere was far superior to the sanitised conditions we have now

Makes me uneasy to learn we’re losing (very) longstanding fans over a drum - particularly given the fragile state of the football club.
There has to be a compromise somehow that keeps everyone reasonably happy. 
Surely ear plugs are the answer.. everyone's happy

44 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Makes me uneasy to learn we’re losing (very) longstanding fans over a drum - particularly given the fragile state of the football club.

There has to be a compromise somehow that keeps everyone reasonably happy. 

I first went to Boghead in 1979 and there was, at times, some serious violence, especially when Hearts turned up. So these guys weren't put off by seeing some guys getting seven shades of shit kicked out of them, but are now calling off because of a primary school kid hitting a not very loud drum?? There's plenty of bowling clubs around for these guys to enjoy their silence and the rest of us can get on with a, hopefully, noisy atmosphere with plenty of drumming.

31 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

It's not even a loud drum and I sit half way along that side.

The drum is clearly audible in Crosslet Road  on match days.

16 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

I first went to Boghead in 1979 and there was, at times, some serious violence, especially when Hearts turned up. So these guys weren't put off by seeing some guys getting seven shades of shit kicked out of them, but are now calling off because of a primary school kid hitting a not very loud drum?? There's plenty of bowling clubs around for these guys to enjoy their silence and the rest of us can get on with a, hopefully, noisy atmosphere with plenty of drumming.

The violence though wasn't tolerated or encouraged by the club. The comparison is spurious. 

My estrangement and that of my daughter from the club is complete and permanent. That decision has been made much easier by the comments on here. One from a guy to whom I have been quite helpful to on a couple of occasions who thinks I'm being a "dick" . The ad hominem nature of the insults is disappointing but in the end, not surprising. I shouldn't have brought the issue up again.

Apologies.

Could they not move their seats. It’s not as if the stadium is full.
I'm sure Wilf has covered this before. His (and his daughter's?) medical condition is impacted badly by the frequency and vibrations etc. I don't think it's purely about the noise level. Could be wrong, though.

Hope it can be sorted somehow. It's getting the balance between attracting new, young supporters whilst retaining long-standing, loyal fans.