Sons' sorrow

This is absolutely pathetic.

Young guys trying to get a bit of atmosphere around out the place instead in true Dumbarton style people just need to moan about it..

The negative atmosphere around the club is absolutely draining.

If people don’t want to go then don’t go, don’t come on here and make a big f**king song and dance about it..

4 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I wouldn't be so quick to criticise.

Playing devils advocate here, loud noise like that can be particularly bad for people with certain health concerns. If it's something that would affect a person's health then it's absolutely understandable that they'd stop going to games. If it's down to some older fans simply not liking that type of very loud support? We've a big enough stand with plenty of empty seats so surely something can be done to accommodate?

Nobody wants to see kids discouraged from coming to games. Nobody wants to see long term fans walking away. There needs to be a happy medium somewhere, even if it means a bit of compromise on both sides, because regardless of the reasons for folk staying away? The club suffers.

Thanks for the mature answer BSF. To be fair, with some people there isn't any medical reason, they just find it annoying. That's the beginning and end of it. They're not motivated by some  "spite" as one poster put it.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

"Wise guys", "intolerence", "disrespect" I'm out. This discussion has been done to death.

Whether Wilf attends or not doesn't bother me in slightest in all honesty. I'd be completely lying if I said it did.

In all honesty it doesn't bother me any more. I haven't been to a game since January 5th and the process of estrangement  is now complete.  What should worry the club and by association, the support, is that a 49-year-old habit can be got out of so easily. 

I hope Dumbarton FC survives and prospers. To do that it needs all the support it can get.

I completely understand someone not getting a season ticket/attending games because of the drum having an adverse effect on a medical condition they have.

Choosing not to support the club with sponsorship because of it is odd, however. Strikes me as throwing toys out the pram.

£500 of sponsorship too.

24 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

'Fair enough if Wilf is impacted'. Really ? A guy who has supported the club since 1970 and has invested Christ knows what of his own money, time and goodwill in DFC is to be waved goodbye in order that a bunch of here today/gone tomorrow kids can batter f**k out of a drum ? Really ?

The old guard gatekeeping as per usual.  Yes, these kids could disappear within a season or two, but they also could end up supporting the club for life.   (Something Wilf isn't even willing to do, clearly).

There are a number of reasons why the club isn't as hospitable as it should be and high up the list is this mentality that some fans are better than others.  New people instantly get interrogated on the supporters bus.  People moan when big crowds turn up (e.g 1000-odd we took to the cup final) because they weren't at smaller games.  Fans of old firm clubs get snarked at when they're actually bothering to support their local team - even if it's only a few games a season it still helps the club.

The old guard gatekeeping as per usual.  Yes, these kids could disappear within a season or two, but they also could end up supporting the club for life.   (Something Wilf isn't even willing to do, clearly).
There are a number of reasons why the club isn't as hospitable as it should be and high up the list is this mentality that some fans are better than others.  New people instantly get interrogated on the supporters bus.  People moan when big crowds turn up (e.g 1000-odd we took to the cup final) because they weren't at smaller games.  Fans of old firm clubs get snarked at when they're actually bothering to support their local team - even if it's only a few games a season it still helps the club.

Couldn’t agree more !!! 100 %

I wasnt going to wade into this debate but here I am. I think anyone who says they arnt attending due to a "bit if noise" follows the wrong sport. Football is loved across the world for the atmosphere created by fans, have the boys to stop supporting, singing and banging a drum because it upsets a few folk?
If its medical reasons then fair enough but being pissed off at a bit of noise borders on pathetic.
I am not for one moment denying the support that wilf or anyone else has given the club over the years. Anyone who gives up time, money or otherwise to help the club should be applauded, however there is a young group of fans coming through, they should also be applauded and encouraged.

4 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

I wasnt going to wade into this debate but here I am. I think anyone who says they arnt attending due to a "bit if noise" follows the wrong sport. Football is loved across the world for the atmosphere created by fans, have the boys to stop supporting, singing and banging a drum because it upsets a few folk?
If its medical reasons then fair enough but being pissed off at a bit of noise borders on pathetic.
I am not for one moment denying the support that wilf or anyone else has given the club over the years. Anyone who gives up time, money or otherwise to help the club should be applauded, however there is a young group of fans coming through, they should also be applauded and encouraged.

We had the same complaints from the old moaners , so we moved them to the other side of the park ,We all have to invest in future supporters

11 minutes ago, Jumbo Muir said:

I ended up being distracted away from Sportsound earlier. Did anyone listen to it ? Did Duffy give us any clues ?

All i heard was that we have 9 players with a closed door bounce game next Friday.Hopes to have a full team by the LC ties.Not much else but i didnt hear all of it.

All i heard was that we have 9 players with a closed door bounce game next Friday.Hopes to have a full team by the LC ties.Not much else but i didnt hear all of it.
I'd hope we have a full team by LC ties as I'm sure we cant play trialists!

I’ve not been around much of late, but this is a discussion that the subject of very much affects the club so here goes.

It’s a crying shame that a supporter such as Wilf feels he has no option but to not renew his season tickets as a result of something happening in our stadium due to a medical condition. I wouldn’t dream of professing to be a medical person so I won’t and others shouldn’t, pass judgment on that. It’s sad though, that’s for sure.

If there are others who are jumping aboard a similar boat due to annoyance and being pissed off about the drum/noise etc and don’t have medical reasons then that’s nothing short of pathetic.

We want to bring in new supporters. We do and they make a bit of noise and they’re chastised. How do we win in this situation?! Football has changed over the last 50 years. It’s no longer a ‘sit and watch’ affair, atmosphere plays a huge part in it, particularly for younger fans, how often is it mentioned across the globe about the atmosphere within a stadium?!

Our support is awash with elder statesmen (and women) and there’s nothing wrong with that whatsoever but it can’t be overlooked that often younger supporters are looked upon with distain and treated with contempt almost. I’m in no way suggesting a connection here but the latter is disappointing to say the least.

The fact remains that we desperately need to blood in new supporters, now and for the foreseeable. However it seems a thankless task to try and do so given some of the attitudes evident on here and on match days. The phrase darned if you do, darned if you don’t, comes to mind. I’m glad it’s not my job to try and get new faces in the door.

How does drumming affect the body?
Drumming induces deep relaxation, lowers blood pressure, produces feelings of well-being, a release of emotional trauma and reduces stress. ... Specifically,drumming promotes the production of endorphins and endogenous opiates, thebodies own morphine-like pain killers, and can thereby help to control pain.

2 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I reckon there's a compromise to be found re the drum. I'm sure the young guys would feel quite sad if they knew about Wilf's situation. Surely the club can figure something out that works for all parties.

Different type of drum?