Sons' sorrow

It's not that mad. Based on last season's average figures across the division and the 2 promoted teams, we've got the 2nd lowest average crowds.
Smaller crowds means everybody who does go to games pays more.
Well I mean we did have the 4 Angus teams skewing those figures a fair whack so whatever.

Either way, we're still paying prime ribeye prices for rotten udder. That certainly wont help in the long run.

#top4atleast

Well I mean we did have the 4 Angus teams skewing those figures a fair whack so whatever.

Either way, we're still paying prime ribeye prices for rotten udder. That certainly wont help in the long run.

#top4atleast

Fully agree with this. I fully understand the club needs backed with ST sales/sponsors etc but right now I can’t help feel shortchanged.

There will be a point for me when I won’t be able to justify £250 for a pass in to watch junior players get pumped every week.

Fully agree with this. I fully understand the club needs backed with ST sales/sponsors etc but right now I can’t help feel shortchanged.

There will be a point for me when I won’t be able to justify £250 for a pass in to watch junior players get pumped every week.

I hear six ST* holders are not renewing, including me with two, because of the thing that mustn’t be mentioned. In my case that means an annual hospitality group of 16-20 and £500 of sponsorship too.

*only the ones I know about. There may be more.

I hear six ST* holders are not renewing, including me with two, because of the thing that mustn’t be mentioned. In my case that means an annual hospitality group of 16-20 and £500 of sponsorship too.

Which will only be to the detriment of the club. Well done.

What reason do the other 5 have for being so against a few children playing with a drum?

Just grumpy old men?

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

What reason do the other 5 have for being so against a few children playing with a drum?

Just grumpy old men?

Probably. There's a few grumps on this thread alone that aren't slow in whining about anything that doesn't suit their mood that day. The old buggers I often sit with in the bar before the match are a good example - very nice guys but they won't even give polite applause to whoever is performing before a match ( however, I do agree with them about Radio Clyde being played if a band isn't on). I can understand the guy with fibromyalgia being annoyed by the drum but what sort of fan ( old git or otherwise) decides not to renew because of kids playing a drum? What next? Fans not renewing because of the sound of the ref's whistle? Maybe the club should invest in noise cancellation headphones that old gits can hire for the duration of the match. Go the young ultras!

2 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Would ear plugs help?

Might be a daft suggestion but as a regular gig goer I've seen more people in the crowd wearing ear plugs to soften the sounds they hear during a gig. For the staff working around the stage they're pretty much mandatory.

The club can't really afford to lose fans. If it's for something like the noise that the kids make at the far end then there must be a solution somehow because we're caught between a rock and a hard place. We're not getting enough kids through the door to replace the fans we're losing to ill health and old age. The kids make noise that some existing fans have concerns with. More existing fans stay away so we don't get the benefit from having more kids coming through the gate to hopefully become the regulars of the future.

I won't criticise anybody for their reasons for staying away but whatever the reason is, it's the club that loses out the most.

Would ear plugs help?
Might be a daft suggestion but as a regular gig goer I've seen more people in the crowd wearing ear plugs to soften the sounds they hear during a gig. For the staff working around the stage they're pretty much mandatory.
The club can't really afford to lose fans. If it's for something like the noise that the kids make at the far end then there must be a solution somehow because we're caught between a rock and a hard place. We're not getting enough kids through the door to replace the fans we're losing to ill health and old age. The kids make noise that some existing fans have concerns with. More existing fans stay away so we don't get the benefit from having more kids coming through the gate to hopefully become the regulars of the future.
I won't criticise anybody for their reasons for staying away but whatever the reason is, it's the club that loses out the most.

IMG_0275.jpg
I’ve been using these for attending and playing gigs for the last few years, my lugs are wrecked because I didn’t take care of them in my youth
Too late to stop the constant whistling but hopefully stop things getting worse

30 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Would ear plugs help?

If the real reason these fans aren't renewing is because of the drum then that is pathetic beyond belief. My seat is approximately midway between the drum end and the centre line and it certainly isn't a loud drum at that distance. Maybe it's the repetition rather than the volume? However, I'm not even convinced the drum is the real reason for the lack of renewal - more likely an excuse to pin their reason on a supposed problem. I really don't think anyone without a sensitivity to repetitive noise would use that as an excuse. And what happens if those young fans read this thread and get the distinct impression they're not wanted? The risk is they go to Glasgow instead or give up on being a match- going fan. Those kids look around P7/S1 age which is the age where they are likely to be encouraged by old firm fans at secondary school to go to Glasgow with them instead. The last thing we need to be doing is having whiners giving them a helping hand. Interesting that when the video of the kids got around the country it was met with praise and admiration from a good number of other fans. As far as I am aware, the only criticism/whining came from the fans of their own club.

27 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

If the real reason these fans aren't renewing is because of the drum then that is pathetic beyond belief. My seat is approximately midway between the drum end and the centre line and it certainly isn't a loud drum at that distance. Maybe it's the repetition rather than the volume? However, I'm not even convinced the drum is the real reason for the lack of renewal - more likely an excuse to pin their reason on a supposed problem. I really don't think anyone without a sensitivity to repetitive noise would use that as an excuse. And what happens if those young fans read this thread and get the distinct impression they're not wanted? The risk is they go to Glasgow instead or give up on being a match- going fan. Those kids look around P7/S1 age which is the age where they are likely to be encouraged by old firm fans at secondary school to go to Glasgow with them instead. The last thing we need to be doing is having whiners giving them a helping hand. Interesting that when the video of the kids got around the country it was met with praise and admiration from a good number of other fans. As far as I am aware, the only criticism/whining came from the fans of their own club.

I wouldn't be so quick to criticise.

Playing devils advocate here, loud noise like that can be particularly bad for people with certain health concerns. If it's something that would affect a person's health then it's absolutely understandable that they'd stop going to games. If it's down to some older fans simply not liking that type of very loud support? We've a big enough stand with plenty of empty seats so surely something can be done to accommodate?

Nobody wants to see kids discouraged from coming to games. Nobody wants to see long term fans walking away. There needs to be a happy medium somewhere, even if it means a bit of compromise on both sides, because regardless of the reasons for folk staying away? The club suffers.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Playing devils advocate here, loud noise like that can be particularly bad for people with certain health concerns. If it's something that would affect a person's health then it's absolutely understandable that they'd stop going to games. If it's down to some older fans simply not liking that type of very loud support? We've a big enough stand with plenty of empty seats so surely something can be done to accommodate?

Nobody wants to see kids discouraged from coming to games. Nobody wants to see long term fans walking away. There needs to be a happy medium somewhere, even if it means a bit of compromise on both sides, because regardless of the reasons for folk staying away? The club suffers.

I think the kids have done their bit to achieve the happy medium by taking their seats at the far end of the stand. And that drum is not loud, being a snare. A bass drum might have us all vibrating on our seats but that snare drum is not loud. Is the repetitive drum sound really so bad in a stand where there is pretty much constant shouting, hammering of the cladding at the back of the stand and, occasionally, cheering? I think it's a spurious excuse. 

I'm 99% confident we don't have 6 supporters who have some sort of health issue that is aggrivated by a drum being hit. Fair enough if Wilf is impacted but I'd be astounded if another 5 supporters had the same/a similar thing.

Our support is awash with old farts, unfortunately. The thought of weans having fun kills them inside.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm 99% confident we don't have 6 supporters who have some sort of health issue that is aggrivated by a drum being hit. Fair enough if Wilf is impacted but I'd be astounded if another 5 supporters had the same/a similar thing.

Our support is awash with old farts, unfortunately. The thought of weans having fun kills them inside.

I'm 100% confident that the Sons supporter I met in the Co-op in Helensburgh the other day, a man with family connections to the club, was being truthful when he said that the group of four guys he is part of will not be renewing their season tickets nor attending games next season because of the "incessant f*****g racket" at matches. Two of them are suffering from medical conditions which reduces their tolerance levels for such things.

I'm 100% confident that my daughter and I will not be renewing our STs either.   

Our support is not awash with anyone. It is a dwindling resource and I have simply pointed out why around 5% of our season tickets will not be renewed due to an entirely preventable reason.

Your last sentence is very disappointing and completely untrue.

'Fair enough if Wilf is impacted'. Really ? A guy who has supported the club since 1970 and has invested Christ knows what of his own money, time and goodwill in DFC is to be waved goodbye in order that a bunch of here today/gone tomorrow kids can batter f**k out of a drum ? Really ?

Here's a simple test; if these lads are serious about following Dumbarton then presumably they can do it without crossing a threshold that irritates and in some cases genuinely ruins the experience of fellow supporters. In other words the club needs to grow a pair and draw a code of what's acceptable and what is not.

By the lights of some of the wise guys posting on this subject, and the intolerance and disrespect is frankly disgraceful, I'm one of these old buffers. But I was once young and madly enthusiastic about the Sons....singing, shouting, banners - the whole shebang.

But I'll tell you what; if anyone had ever told me or my mates that our conduct was causing diehard fans to chuck it then I'd have been horrified.

I should state that Wilf is a close personal friend of mine, and his decision has saddened me immensely. For people who purport to wish the best for DFC there are some gey strange attitudes on here at times.

I'm 100% confident that the Sons supporter I met in the Co-op in Helensburgh the other day, a man with family connections to the club, was being truthful when he said that the group of four guys he is part of will not be renewing their season tickets nor attending games next season because of the "incessant f*****g racket" at matches. Two of them are suffering from medical conditions which reduces their tolerance levels for such things.
I'm 100% confident that my daughter and I will not be renewing our STs either.   
Our support is not awash with anyone. It is a dwindling resource and I have simply pointed out why around 5% of our season tickets will not be renewed due to an entirely preventable reason.
Your last sentence is very disappointing and completely untrue.
You're right, it is completely preventable. The way to prevent it is if fully grown men stopped being petty as f**k over weans having a laugh with a drum. What medical condition do they have? What do you expect the club to do here?

My last sentence is completely true and everybody knows it.

'Fair enough if Wilf is impacted'. Really ? A guy who has supported the club since 1970 and has invested Christ knows what of his own money, time and goodwill in DFC is to be waved goodbye in order that a bunch of here today/gone tomorrow kids can batter f**k out of a drum ? Really ?

Here's a simple test; if these lads are serious about following Dumbarton then presumably they can do it without crossing a threshold that irritates and in some cases genuinely ruins the experience of fellow supporters. In other words the club needs to grow a pair and draw a code of what's acceptable and what is not.

By the lights of some of the wise guys posting on this subject, and the intolerance and disrespect is frankly disgraceful, I'm one of these old buffers. But I was once young and madly enthusiastic about the Sons....singing, shouting, banners - the whole shebang.

But I'll tell you what; if anyone had ever told me or my mates that our conduct was causing diehard fans to chuck it then I'd have been horrified.

I should state that Wilf is a close personal friend of mine, and his decision has saddened me immensely. For people who purport to wish the best for DFC there are some gey strange attitudes on here at times.
"Wise guys", "intolerence", "disrespect" I'm out. This discussion has been done to death.

Whether Wilf attends or not doesn't bother me in slightest in all honesty. I'd be completely lying if I said it did.