Sons' sorrow

He played well up top in the playoff final 1st leg - in an ultra defensive team. Aitken then shunted him wide in the second leg which nullified any impact he might have had. Albeit I recall a header he probably should have scored. 

The #Aitken effect in full flow there then. [emoji85]

I only saw Nisbet a few times for us, but whenever he was played up top he looked useful. The only problem was nobody was close enough to him for him to be able to work anything.

Aitken’s tactics only ever really worked when Nade could hold on to the ball long enough for Thomson, or Stirling to break past for Nade to play a reverse ball into. It’s no shame on any other striker that they can’t hold on to the ball as long as Nade...

2 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Think the team are back training today,but its awfully quiet on here and on the OS.A wee update is called for....

Does anyone know for sure if we're back today? I've seen Airdrie and Dunfermline posting a fair bit about things online, but everything on the DFC front is silent. 

2 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

Think the team are back training today,but its awfully quiet on here and on the OS.A wee update is called for....

How many players do we have? 6 or 7? 

Mr Boggers has taken them all to Nando's. 

#BondingExercise 

Does anyone know for sure if we're back today? I've seen Airdrie and Dunfermline posting a fair bit about things online, but everything on the DFC front is silent. 

Pretty poor comms from the club, no news about anything. I thought the close season was for drumming up business, promoting the new strips and merchandise, wetting our appetite for the season ahead. There’s been none of that!

2 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Wasn't he supposed to have verbally agreed to sign on again? 

It would be very bad indeed to lose him.

That was certainly the case a fortnight ago, so I don't know if he's away on holiday or something and the contract won't be signed until he's back...But the more time goes on the more concerned I am that he'll be away. He'll have plenty of options I'd imagine.

Pretty poor comms from the club, no news about anything. I thought the close season was for drumming up business, promoting the new strips and merchandise, wetting our appetite for the season ahead. There’s been none of that!
All we seem to be doing at the minute is regurgitating the same tweet about season tickets every few days.

I have the absolute fucking fear for next season, on all fronts.

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That was certainly the case a fortnight ago, so I don't know if he's away on holiday or something and the contract won't be signed until he's back...But the more time goes on the more concerned I am that he'll be away. He'll have plenty of options I'd imagine.

For sure, you'd have to imagine that this is prime holiday time, hopefully.

Duffy got his holiday out of the way fairly sharp to be fair, would be very surprised if some of our League rivals aren't interested in Carswell.  

16 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

All we seem to be doing at the minute is regurgitating the same tweet about season tickets every few days.

I have the absolute fucking fear for next season, on all fronts.

Aye. 

A complete free-fall to League 2 and beyond :shutup

I'm still giving Duffy the benefit of the doubt given the level of player turnover and the number of new players needed.

If we've only just returned to training today I'd hope/expect Duffy to have the players in for a few sessions before dishing out contracts.

Edited by C'mon_the_Sons
Fat fingers

I'm still giving Duffy the benefit of the doubt given the level of player turnover and the number of new players needed. If we've only just returned to training today I'd hope/expect Duffy to have the players in for a few sessions before dishing out contracts.

Seen some of our fans say similar things, if you're in League 1 or in our case the Championship you shouldn't be signing players that you need to have a look at in training 1st, especially you guys have already taken a punt on a few exit exit trial guys. Need reliable players that can play in the league.

We went through a spell a few year ago, trialists galore in pre season. Vast majority of them ended up utter pish, Jamie Clarke to Lari Yao to Joe Prince Wright. I'm struggling to think of a single good one.

League 1 is a good league managers should and will make their signings on reputation and names alone

Seen some of our fans say similar things, if you're in League 1 or in our case the Championship you shouldn't be signing players that you need to have a look at in training 1st, especially you guys have already taken a punt on a few exit exit trial guys. Need reliable players that can play in the league.

We went through a spell a few year ago, trialists galore in pre season. Vast majority of them ended up utter pish, Jamie Clarke to Lari Yao to Joe Prince Wright. I'm struggling to think of a single good one.

League 1 is a good league managers should and will make their signings on reputation and names alone

Nah there’s still cases where bringing in players on trial has its benefits.

We brought in Jamie Adams on trial in 2015 after he’d been out the game for 3 years. He signed after playing 20 minutes of a bounce game vs Hibs and has never looked back.

When we were still part time McCall brought in trialists more often with 2 or 3 at a time but since the switch to full time we’ve only had Andy Murdoch on trial. And he was a pretty established name in the Championship.

A lot of the time it’s for managers to see how fit a player is opposed to whether they’re good enough or not.

Nah there’s still cases where bringing in players on trial has its benefits.

We brought in Jamie Adams on trial in 2015 after he’d been out the game for 3 years. He signed after playing 20 minutes of a bounce game vs Hibs and has never looked back.

When we were still part time McCall brought in trialists more often with 2 or 3 at a time but since the switch to full time we’ve only had Andy Murdoch on trial. And he was a pretty established name in the Championship.

A lot of the time it’s for managers to see how fit a player is opposed to whether they’re good enough or not.
I think that approach is fine if you have a squad of fairly established players with a bit of quality signed up. When you already have an entire squad of absolute naebdy's it's an absolute write off.

Our summer business so far has been utterly woeful and bringing in further naebys to compliment our current squad of naebdys is a recipe for disaster IMO.