Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Possibly the biggest load of pish on this thread yet. You've got a rapist playing for you and you're here questioning attitudes. 

Do all Dumbarton fans on P&B indulge in this Old Firm-esque level of whataboutery, or has 'The Moonster' just completely lost the plot for no reason here? It's been a long time since we've shared a division, so I would appreciate some views.

19 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Do all Dumbarton fans on P&B indulge in this Old Firm-esque level of whataboutery, or has 'The Moonster' just completely lost the plot for no reason here? It's been a long time since we've shared a division, so I would appreciate some views.

Sorry, I'm in Japan, pished on Sake and fed up with the negativity surrounding my wee team. Duffy has done a fine job for us and is signing c***s he trusts. McCluskey has done him a job every time he's signed him and I'll take that over the nonsense we've watched for two seasons now.

Compare me to the Old Firm again though and I'll have your baws in a vice, sir.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Sorry, I'm in Japan, pished on Sake and fed up with the negativity surrounding my wee team. Duffy has done a fine job for us and is signing c***s he trusts. McCluskey has done him a job every time he's signed him and I'll take that over the nonsense we've watched for two seasons now.

Compare me to the Old Firm again though and I'll have your baws in a vice, sir.

:lol: fair enough.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure he'll have you safe, but I think you'll end up closer to ninth than fourth given how other teams are shaping up and the fact he's already started with the budget chat. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, and a season of consolidation wouldn't be the worst thing given the ongoing issues RE: ownership and control. Stefan is a wee dick (taking a large signing-on fee at Peterhead, only to soon after "fall out of love with the game" and engineer a release and swift signing for Alloa) but like you say, he seems to be the Niko Kranjcar to Jim's Harry Redknapp. 

6 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

:lol: fair enough.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure he'll have you safe, but I think you'll end up closer to ninth than fourth given how other teams are shaping up and the fact he's already started with the budget chat. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, and a season of consolidation wouldn't be the worst thing given the ongoing issues RE: ownership and control. Stefan is a wee dick (taking a large signing-on fee at Peterhead, only to soon after "fall out of love with the game" and engineer a release and swift signing for Alloa) but like you say, he seems to be the Niko Kranjcar to Jim's Harry Redknapp. 

Everyone thought we'd be closer to 2nd than 9th last year, I'll take a year of no expectation.

1 hour ago, optimistic said:

How can Duffy bemoan the budget, then say players were overpaid? I’m probably happier with hungry guys coming up, on lesser money, than a has been, who couldn’t give a toss.

I think Duffy shares that view: he loves to bring in young jobber players and try to coach them better rather than having established, senior players in his squad. Most of the senior players signed while he was in charge at Morton (Peter MacDonald, Tidser etc.) were obvious boardroom picks that he just signed off on as well. So long as Duffy has a job in football and a team to coach he seems quite content at this stage in his career; I'm only surprised that he reverted to the 'plucky underdog' line quite so soon after it was predicted by yours truly. 

I'm not sure how well that's going to work though given Aitken's very similar messaging in the job before him. 

It’s amazing the premiership and championship being stronger the last few years, and it’s filtering down to league one now, what with, Falkirk and raith being here, and the lowland league pushing upwards. Stressing times for low budget clubs, yet fantastic for anyone watching Scottish football

Not sure what alternate universe version of Scottish football you've found yourself watching, as the standard of the Championship was actually utter dog shite last season and probably the worst since the 14 team Division One was scrapped in the early 90s. And it clearly isn't up to much below that level either given Queen of the South's comfortable survival in the play-offs.

43 minutes ago, virginton said:

I think Duffy shares that view: he loves to bring in young jobber players and try to coach them better rather than having established, senior players in his squad. Most of the senior players signed while he was in charge at Morton (Peter MacDonald, Tidser etc.) were obvious boardroom picks that he just signed off on as well. So long as Duffy has a job in football and a team to coach he seems quite content at this stage in his career; I'm only surprised that he reverted to the 'plucky underdog' line quite so soon after it was predicted by yours truly. 

I'm not sure how well that's going to work though given Aitken's very similar messaging in the job before him. 

Not sure what alternate universe version of Scottish football you've found yourself watching, as the standard of the Championship was actually utter dog shite last season and probably the worst since the 14 team Division One was scrapped in the early 90s. And it clearly isn't up to much below that level either given Queen of the South's comfortable survival in the play-offs.

Any chance you could give us a wee section of the Cowshed for the BetFred Cup tie instead of that deathtrap Main Stand?

586d0588b4588_bowlegwalk.jpg.0012b23022d453e724ab3375e2826493.jpg

That's 2 more friendlies just been announced.

Why are we cramming in 3 games in the space of a week? Is that normal?

Tuesday, July 2, Dunfermline Athletic, kick off 19.45

Saturday, July 6, Dundee United, kick-off 15:00

Tuesday, July 9, Hamilton Accies, kick off 19:45

Just now, super-son said:

That's 2 more friendlies just been announced.

Why are we cramming in 3 games in the space of a week? Is that normal?

Tuesday, July 2, Dunfermline Athletic, kick off 19.45

Saturday, July 6, Dundee United, kick-off 15:00

Tuesday, July 9, Hamilton Accies, kick off 19:45

Jumping back to last year we played Saturday 30th, Monday 2nd and July 7th, so it's pretty normal aye.

Three tough games though, last year we had East Kilbride, Cumbernauld Colts and Hearts - so fair play to Duffy, he's obviously looking for these matches to be a real workout. 

Jumping back to last year we played Saturday 30th, Monday 2nd and July 7th, so it's pretty normal aye.
Three tough games though, last year we had East Kilbride, Cumbernauld Colts and Hearts - so fair play to Duffy, he's obviously looking for these matches to be a real workout. 
Okay, fair enough.

As you say, it's going to be a proper workout. Squad should start taking shape over the next couple of weeks I hope.

I would imagine there will be quite a few trialists taking part in these games.

Very dull fixtures but happy that we'll be working the players hard instead of having them churn out shitey 2-1 wins over Cumbernauld Colts and the likes. It should also allow the gaffer the chance to see how trialists get on against a decent standard of opposition as opposed to teams who ply their trade well below our level.

Just seen Airdries kit launch on Twitter (I would post a link but I'm on my phone and dont know how - I'm sure SO8 will sort it) and would be happy with a variation of their away kit for our new strip this season, I assume it's an off the shelf model.

2 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Just seen Airdries kit launch on Twitter (I would post a link but I'm on my phone and dont know how - I'm sure SO8 will sort it) and would be happy with a variation of their away kit for our new strip this season, I assume it's an off the shelf model.

Pffft. As if I have time to sort that kind of thing.

Spoiler

The red one in a kind of gold colour could be very 90s...I'm not sure how into it I'd be, but (in my head) it looks a bit like this.

110893-league-cup-2nd-round-rangers-v-du

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Very dull fixtures but happy that we'll be working the players hard instead of having them churn out shitey 2-1 wins over Cumbernauld Colts and the likes. It should also allow the gaffer the chance to see how trialists get on against a decent standard of opposition as opposed to teams who ply their trade well below our level.

Three games against teams in higher divisions. What were you expecting?