Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don't think Aitken had an impact on club finances, he just used his budget poorly. He was given X amount to spend, spent it all, then the board generally had to secure signings via sponsors to beef out his injury ravaged squad. If we are now having to cobble together pennies due to previously over spending then I'm afraid that's the board's responsibility, not Aitkens. I'm pretty confident that isn't the case though.

The budget will be impacted by far less prize money, smaller attendances, Brabco neglecting the stadium and poor budgeting by previous regimes rather than Aitken spending money we didn't have.

Having read Jim Duffy's comments they come over more as a bald statement of fact grounded in realism rather than a counsel of despair.

None of us is in possession of all the facts, but what may be deduced is that the present Board is having to deal with an inherited situation which almost took the club to financial ruin and may well still do.  When added to all the visble detractors already mentioned, a legacy of smoke and mirror budgeting and a lack of financial transparency within the Boardroom, with certain club officials calling the shots and at times masking the full facts, has impacted adversely on the health of DFC.  It follows therefore that every facet of running the football club has become hugely challenging, and all against the backdrop of the absentee majority shareholder.

All we can do is remain optimistic and invest in season tickets to support the club and team. 

Hutton's new deal confirmed. Hopefully that means Carsy is imminent too.
https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4054
I do obviously want Carsy signed up however I think we could do without another season of watching Hutton and Carswell partnering each other In our midfield. Tbh I'd rather Hutton hadn't signed up again

Hutton and Carswell together doesn't have to be negative. It puts a lot of focus on the fullbacks getting forward. The 2 defensive midfielders are there to protect the defenders. It puts focus on the wide midfielders and either a central attacking midfielder or a deep lying forward being the creative players.

Get the team right and we don't need to play negative football.

Edited - stupid auto correct

Edited by BallochSonsFan

Hutton and Farewell together doesn't have to be negative. It puts a lot of focus on the fullbacks getting forward. The 2 defensive midfielders are there to protect the defenders. It puts focus on the wide midfielders and either a central attacking midfielder or a deep lying forward being the creative players.

Get the team right and we don't need to play negative football.

I agree. Compare Hutton and Carswell under Aitken to them under Duffy. A lot more consistent and they allowed Forbes to float about the middle of the park without having to get back much. You even saw driving runs from the pair of them. They seem to get on really well too and I think a consistent central midfield partnership is an extremely positive thing for the team.

Hopefully Hutton is able to get his hip sorted unless as has been suggested he’s too fond of it now to get rid of it [emoji23]

Never been Huttons biggest fan.  The football in general in his first season was a joke, and he (and the team) got a showing up overall.  Last season was just a calamity.

Hopefully, with a new squad round about him, a summer to sort whatever injury was hampering him last season and a new manager in charge from the start, he might start producing 7/10 performances most weeks.

Never been Huttons biggest fan.  The football in general in his first season was a joke, and he (and the team) got a showing up overall.  Last season was just a calamity.
Hopefully, with a new squad round about him, a summer to sort whatever injury was hampering him last season and a new manager in charge from the start, he might start producing 7/10 performances most weeks.

He is a very frustrating player to watch because when he’s on top of his game he’s a joy to watch and a game changer - he’s just been unable to consistently play like that for us.

That being said, since Duffy has come in I feel he has improved a lot and him and Carsy are now a stronger midfield partnership than what they previously were. As you say hopefully with a good pre-season he can batter on and start giving us more consistently good performances.

4 minutes ago, sonsism said:

He is a very frustrating player to watch because when he’s on top of his game he’s a joy to watch and a game changer - he’s just been unable to consistently play like that for us.

That being said, since Duffy has come in I feel he has improved a lot and him and Carsy are now a stronger midfield partnership than what they previously were. As you say hopefully with a good pre-season he can batter on and start giving us more consistently good performances.

He was class away at St Mirren in the Tom Walsh game.  Pretty good in the cup final too.

There is a player in there but it comes across most of the time that he canny be fucked.  Injury is (hopefully) the main factor here though.

Having read Jim Duffy's comments they come over more as a bald statement of fact grounded in realism rather than a counsel of despair.

comforting-lies-vs-unpleasant-truths-640x480.jpeg.c141b2e3ca4f5f33b2b8b0773feb68e0.jpeg

I don't think anyone wants Duffy to lie about tge situation but it would seem odd that our Chairman states the aim is the promotion playoffs "at least" whilst the manager bemoans his budget.

When the chairman is making such claims it's only natural for supporters to expect a budget befitting the supposed aim for the season. The last thing you'd expect is a doom and gloom article a mere 32 days after the promotion push chat.

30 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don't think anyone wants Duffy to lie about tge situation but it would seem odd that our Chairman states the aim is the promotion playoffs "at least" whilst the manager bemoans his budget.

When the chairman is making such claims it's only natural for supporters to expect a budget befitting the supposed aim for the season. The last thing you'd expect is a doom and gloom article a mere 32 days after the promotion push chat.

When did the Chairman actually make that claim? Was it at the end of year awards night or have I just missed it on the site?

Duffys said we have less than some other teams. Less than falkirk, raith, Airdrie, forfar and maybe Clyde? Aye, I could see that.

He also said reduced from last season; bearing in mind we retained the best part of the championship team and added to it with perceived quality in Lot, I can agree with that too.

No problem with anything Jim's said.

I think we should all rule out a title challenge and realistically accept we're setting up for somewhere between 4th and 8th hopefully.

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4034

"“The target for next year is to be in the play-offs, at least."

Must have had a few shandies at that point. The 'at least' is a bit mad.

Though I guess he didn't specify which play-offs...

Edited by FifeSons

How can Duffy bemoan the budget, then say players were overpaid? I’m probably happier with hungry guys coming up, on lesser money, than a has been, who couldn’t give a toss.

It’s amazing the premiership and championship being stronger the last few years, and it’s filtering down to league one now, what with, Falkirk and raith being here, and the lowland league pushing upwards. Stressing times for low budget clubs, yet fantastic for anyone watching Scottish football

Duffy is very much a manager who performs "to budget" - and he lets everyone know about it. It happened at Clyde, where he started off with very little - letting us know at every opportunity - and failed to attract any players, bar a few short-term loanees, of real quality. As his budget grew, we became incrementally better, but still relied on Duffy being able to positively coach rejects from teams in and around us. He often spoke of the club taking baby steps in its recovery - it's League Two, ffs - before eventually leading us to fourth place in his final season in charge. During one previous season, we were not miles off promotion play-off contention and he said on Clyde 1 SSB in January that we had no chance of making them :lol: 

I do rate Duffy as a coach and manager, but he's pretty hopeless at attracting good players on a low-to-middling budget unless he lucks-out with loans or a stand-out young player (he brought in Declan Gallagher for a season at Clyde, who was a stand-out in a shite team). If he's bleating about resources already, then I can only imagine it'll be a season of looking down the way rather than upwards for Dumbarton.

On Stefan McCluskey; despite his positive statistics, I've spoken to a couple of Pollok fans who are glad to see the back of him. His attitude has always been fairly questionable.

Beggars can't be choosers as they say, I'm fine with Carswell & Hutton staying, at least they've shown a wee bit of faith and loyalty to us in doing so. Jim'll try and build around them.

I think we'll hopefully be mid-table next season, honestly can't see us challenging for promotion, hope I'm wrong obviously.

It already looks like a seriously competitive League 1 next season & I don't think it's a given that Falkirk will run away with the title, all sorts of shenanigans going on there internally & they have the Great Raymondo at the helm :1eye

Forfar have made decent signings already and have a good manager, Clyde have an excellent manager imho, Raith will be up there, Ian Murray may well improve Airdrie, Rory McGoals at Peterhead.

A tough season ahead.

40 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Duffy is very much a manager who performs "to budget" - and he lets everyone know about it. It happened at Clyde, where he started off with very little - letting us know at every opportunity - and failed to attract any players, bar a few short-term loanees, of real quality. As his budget grew, we became incrementally better, but still relied on Duffy being able to positively coach rejects from teams in and around us. He often spoke of the club taking baby steps in its recovery - it's League Two, ffs - before eventually leading us to fourth place in his final season in charge. During one previous season, we were not miles off promotion play-off contention and he said on Clyde 1 SSB in January that we had no chance of making them :lol: 

I do rate Duffy as a coach and manager, but he's pretty hopeless at attracting good players on a low-to-middling budget unless he lucks-out with loans or a stand-out young player (he brought in Declan Gallagher for a season at Clyde, who was a stand-out in a shite team). If he's bleating about resources already, then I can only imagine it'll be a season of looking down the way rather than upwards for Dumbarton.

On Stefan McCluskey; despite his positive statistics, I've spoken to a couple of Pollok fans who are glad to see the back of him. His attitude has always been fairly questionable.

Possibly the biggest load of pish on this thread yet. You've got a rapist playing for you and you're here questioning attitudes.