Sons' sorrow

17 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Hope of you holding on to SeaGal and Carswell (a link I hadn't heard until this article) yet. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-boss-ian-murray-rules-16248818 

Cue us announcing both of them tomorrow. 

I would love to get both players signed up for the season. Although, I'm sure I read one of the articles posted here that Duffy doesn't think Seagal is interested in signing on for another year. I would like to see him paired up with a strong target man type player. Someone like Thommo would fit the bill well ;).

EDIT: Found it

d79033f2570da8bac39c1ee2a915a4e7.png

Edited by super-son

Hope of you holding on to SeaGal and Carswell (a link I hadn't heard until this article) yet. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrieonians-boss-ian-murray-rules-16248818 
Cue us announcing both of them tomorrow. 
Duffy has said in the press that Carswell has verbally agreed to stay and that Gallagher is definitely offski. It may well be that Gallagher is heading somewhere else.

Given that all of you will have your copies of the Lennox by now, you'll all know that Beany is away. The rumours of a player/coach role were true, but Duffy couldn't justify using part of the precious budget on it.

Hope we see him in the dugout one day. It might not have worked out this time around, but what a guy he is :wub:

21 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Given that all of you will have your copies of the Lennox by now, you'll all know that Beany is away. The rumours of a player/coach role were true, but Duffy couldn't justify using part of the precious budget on it.

Hope we see him in the dugout one day. It might not have worked out this time around, but what a guy he is :wub:

All the best to him. Correct decision imo as he wasn't able to make any impact last season 2 goals?) and I didn't foresee him making any impact this season either.

13 hours ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

All the best to him. Correct decision imo as he wasn't able to make any impact last season 2 goals?) and I didn't foresee him making any impact this season either.

Two goals, aye. I totally agree. He's a great guy, a model pro and will make a fantastic coach - but I'm pleased Duffy is going to try and maximise what he gets with his budget. No doubt Beany will rock up somewhere else in the division for his customary four goals against us next season though!

3 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Disappointing but completely expected the budget to be slashed.

However, Forbes, C Barr. B Barr, Thomas (we would have been paying something towards his wage), even Paton - will have cost a fair bit in wages.

Loy will be on a whack, if we can get rid of him it would help us and Gallagher probably would have been on a fair bit too.

Lot of players in last years squad I would consider to be a wasted wage too.  If we use the budget a bit smarter we should be fine.

I agree. Duffy sounds quite negative and defeatist in that interview IMO.

We've gone from the chairman saying the aims are the "playoffs, at least"/Duffy claiming he's only staying if we have a budget that allows him to challenge to Duffy telling us how low his budget is compared to everyone else.

When Duffy first arrived he was very careful as to not build up hopes so I'm hoping this is just his 'playing down his chances' tactic that he seemed to roll out often during his time with Morton.

When we announced Duffy was staying the words that were used were "the mutual aim of making progress in League 1". Duffy's interview above suggests making progress will be very difficult with the budget he has.

PITK and all that.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I agree. Duffy sounds quite negative and defeatist in that interview IMO.

We've gone from the chairman saying the aims are the "playoffs, at least"/Duffy claiming he's only staying if we have a budget that allows him to challenge to Duffy telling us how low his budget is compared to everyone else.

When Duffy first arrived he was very careful as to not build up hopes so I'm hoping this is just his 'playing down his chances' tactic that he seemed to roll out often during his time with Morton.

When we announced Duffy was staying the words that were used were "the mutual aim of making progress in League 1". Duffy's interview above suggests making progress will be very difficult with the budget he has.

PITK and all that.

Aye, hopefully it's a tactic.  Duffys budget card equals Aitkens 'part time team, only see the boys 2 nights a week, they come straight from work' patter.

32 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Managing expectations. If, as is rumoured to be the case, some players last season were overpaid then Jim is right to be sending out the message that we don't have wads of cash to spunk away a la Aitken. An astute move...........8)

Managing expectations. If, as is rumoured to be the case, some players last season were overpaid then Jim is right to be sending out the message that we don't have wads of cash to spunk away a la Aitken. An astute move...........8)
With Aitken Allegedly blowing the budget we were spending more and regressing season upon season (I'm pretty sure our league position was worse than the previous each year).

If it is confirmed that Aitken did indeed blow the budget each year, it's kind of hard to see how he progressed the club at all and we are now paying the price for that.

I don't think it's quite as bad as it's being portrayed there.

Think how many players we had signed up doing absolutely nothing for most of last season. The budget was spunked on injury prone expensive players and if we can avoid having to sign 7 Goalkeepers this year that would be a big bonus. If we can go with a smaller more reliable hard working squad then I think we will be okay. And can probably push for the playoffs.

We never had a settled team until about February last season. I've got much more faith in Duffy's player selection and he won't want a repeat of the shambles squad that he took charge of last year.

With Aitken Allegedly blowing the budget we were spending more and regressing season upon season (I'm pretty sure our league position was worse than the previous each year).

If it is confirmed that Aitken did indeed blow the budget each year, it's kind of hard to see how he progressed the club at all and we are now paying the price for that.

I don't think Aitken had an impact on club finances, he just used his budget poorly. He was given X amount to spend, spent it all, then the board generally had to secure signings via sponsors to beef out his injury ravaged squad. If we are now having to cobble together pennies due to previously over spending then I'm afraid that's the board's responsibility, not Aitkens. I'm pretty confident that isn't the case though.

The budget will be impacted by far less prize money, smaller attendances, Brabco neglecting the stadium and poor budgeting by previous regimes rather than Aitken spending money we didn't have.

56 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don't think Aitken had an impact on club finances, he just used his budget poorly. He was given X amount to spend, spent it all, then the board generally had to secure signings via sponsors to beef out his injury ravaged squad. If we are now having to cobble together pennies due to previously over spending then I'm afraid that's the board's responsibility, not Aitkens. I'm pretty confident that isn't the case though.

The budget will be impacted by far less prize money, smaller attendances, Brabco neglecting the stadium and poor budgeting by previous regimes rather than Aitken spending money we didn't have.

Money spent that you don't have has to be repaid though