Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, pleslie99 said:

Guys, bit off topic here but hopefully someone can help. I have a mate who works with Show Racism the Red Card and is looking for a contact at Dumbarton who he can chat too regarding it. Who would be the best person for him to get in contact with?

Simon aka 'the far post' ?

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I agree that we won’t be offering pennies, otherwise Duffy clearly wouldn’t have stayed. I do however think that when you look at how well backed most of the other teams in the league are, that it wouldn’t be surprising if we have a slightly smaller budget than most.

We possibly offered Forbes a decent enough deal, but couldn’t match the 2 years on offer at Forfar. 

It’s a waiting game, really. I do think with Duffy at the helm we have a decent chance next season though.

I wouldn't want to match a two year deal for Forbes. He's thirty and to be honest I'm not convinced he has two seasons left in him

20 hours ago, optimistic said:

His goals will be missed, but how slow was he, Jim Klopp/Duffy clearly wants more speed and mobility in the team.

That'll be why he signed him for Morton at this level in the first place, when he already knew Forbes towed a caravan around the park behind him.

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This is what I don't get. Duffy has been very, very public about the fact he's only going to stay if he gets a budget that allows him to challenge (I assume that means a promotion playoff budget). The chairman has put out a statement saying our aim is to make the top 4 and our board spent weeks trying to cobble together a budget Duffy was happy with. I'd be pretty astounded if Duffy decided to stay with a peanuts budget to work with.

I'm not expecting us to start signing superstars but at the same time I don't really expect us to start losing all our better players to teams around us.

From the outside but with plenty of experience of Duffy's media talk, I think your interpretation of this 'challenge' is optimistic. Duffy loves to play the plucky underdog line; for him I genuinely think this means having a budget somewhere in the middle of the league  (possibly lower middle given early signings elsewhere), hope to play the loan system well and slither into the play-offs. So long as it isn't a League Two level, nailed on relegation budget then he'll fancy his chances - this is a guy who was even content to manage Clyde at the bottom of all the Scottish leagues after all.

14 minutes ago, virginton said:

That'll be why he signed him for Morton at this level in the first place, when he already knew Forbes towed a caravan around the park behind him.

From the outside but with plenty of experience of Duffy's media talk, I think your interpretation of this 'challenge' is optimistic. Duffy loves to play the plucky underdog line; for him I genuinely think this means having a budget somewhere in the middle of the league  (possibly lower middle given early signings elsewhere), hope to play the loan system well and slither into the play-offs. So long as it isn't a League Two level, nailed on relegation budget then he'll fancy his chances - this is a guy who was even content to manage Clyde at the bottom of all the Scottish leagues after all.

Finding myself agreeing with some of your summation there. Not bad, not great but not too bad. Thanks for popping in champ

58683bb5d6e0d_greggbath.gif.18205a781e813be11b7e39335963e241.gif

13 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

It’s a huge rebuilding job and I hope Duffy has a miracle up his sleeve because right now telling fans we’re going for promotion looks like blatant lying.

The club has got season tickets to try to sell. Duffy's not going to say we'll be scrabbling about to avoid relegation again now, is he?

The club has got season tickets to try to sell. Duffy's not going to say we'll be scrabbling about to avoid relegation again now, is he?
The problem with that is that supporters aren't complete and utter idiots. At the minute telling folk we are gunning for the playoffs seems silly, especially considering the saga that just took place.

You don't need to set a public target. You can just build a squad and see where it takes us. I'd be surprised if there's one single season ticket bought off the back of John Steele saying the aim is promotion or Duffy saying he wants a top 4 budget. Good signings will sell far more season tickets and the earlier they arrive the better.