Sons' sorrow

Jim Duffy on Clyde 1 today, I thought he was on holiday?
The silence is deafening. Looking at the facts:

Duffy himself has alluded to being contracted for next season
Duffy has also suggested that he needs convincing to stay
The club have said hee haw about the contract situation

None of this suggests we are comfortable in the current climate and and as others have said, how long is this position sustainable?

6 minutes ago, albundy said:

None of this suggests we are comfortable in the current climate and and as others have said, how long is this position sustainable?

If all else fails we've got our Lord and Saviour Paddy to fall back on!!

Inbetween all of this we have Mr Steele telling us our aim is promotion back to the Championship elonmuskjoerogansmoking0709a.jpg

6 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Decided to give the club threads in here a read as the end of season is dull as shit. Still can't make head nor tail of what's going on here though, are Dumbarton in a bit of financial difficulty?

I really don't have a clue.

We've got owners who want out, but who haven't put a penny in anyway. Our gates were down by about 25% last season, we didn't meet the pre-season objective of 4th, the stadium needed quite a bit of work after being neglected by the aforementioned owners who chased a pie in the sky stadium dream and we had to pay Aitken off. So I'm guessing things aren't too rosy - but how not too rosy remains unclear.

I'd be lying if I said that the rumours on here, combined with the silence from Duffy (and the playing squad) weren't making me a bit nervous.

5 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Decided to give the club threads in here a read as the end of season is dull as shit. Still can't make head nor tail of what's going on here though, are Dumbarton in a bit of financial difficulty?

It depends what financial difficulty is defined as really.  I reckon every club in the country is in financial difficulty (unless your name is Celtic or Kelty Hearts) and the board were very open last season about the drop in income we had. I don't think we're staring at administration or liquidation right now, we have a Trust rep (and many other Trust members) on the board, so if we were in danger it is literally their duty to inform the fans, but at the same time we have owners who are very much quiet and their intentions for the future are not entirely clear. They could potentially walk into the club tomorrow, sack everyone and start the process of demolition (which will probably include a legal battle over the "Golden Share" - something put in place to stop folk from selling our only asset).

John Steele stood there two weeks ago saying that the board were essentially super heroes for the way we navigated our troubles this season, I'd be shocked if it turned out the club was about to die this week due to lack of funds.  I suppose we could die by other means.

Cheers lads. Hope everything turns out OK. I vaguely remember the stadium stuff,  it seemed incredibly ambitious at the time.

I heard a Mr Rankine (twat) had taken a mortgage out on the land behind the stand (same area that twigg and Johnstone bought at our stadium)

Selling off the land sounds dodgy to me

12 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Cheers lads. Hope everything turns out OK. I vaguely remember the stadium stuff,  it seemed incredibly ambitious at the time.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/scottish-football-club-warns-need-11824504

The Planning Application was refused by the local authority, so if we are to believe the headline in the link above the 'cycle of decline'  may be about to slip thro the gears.

41 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

I heard a Mr Rankine (twat) had taken a mortgage out on the land behind the stand (same area that twigg and Johnstone bought at our stadium)

Heard something along the same lines

46 minutes ago, sirscottyoung said:

Rankine (and whoever's name he uses to buy stakes in clubs) is an absolute poison on lower league fitba. 

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

@Ross Forbes That's Gaston been told he's no longer needed at Morton. Duffy will sign him if no other FT fancies him. 

That's if Duffy is still in charge of us...

Having signed near enough everyone who has ever been backup to him (think we just needed Nico Caraux and Andy McNeil for a full set) then it's about time we got him. I'd be quite happy with Gaston and Brennan as our two goalkeeping options - it would certainly be a fair bit stronger than we started last season with Adam and McGowan.