Sons' sorrow

Sadly (for you guys) not all of our fans feel the same way about him.
Goes to show, I though Ferguson was one of our most consistent performers, not flashy or likely to be a game changer but reliable and did the simple things well. Our form improved dramatically with him in the team.

So it's still all quiet on the Sons front. How long do we give Duffy to decide whether he wants to stay? Is it wise to let him call the shots?

For all we know he could turn round next weekend and tell us he doesn't fancy the challenge. How long will it take to identify potential replacements, interview them and appoint one of them? Say 3 weeks? That would take us a week or so into June with none of our better performers having being offered contracts and probably having offers from elsewhere.

Is Duffy really worthy of being afforded this much time to decide whether the budget suits him or not?

If the above worst case scenario pans out then we could be entering the 2nd week of June with no players signed up, no players offered contracts and a brand new gaffer desperately scrambling to cobble together enough players who haven't already taken up offers elsewhere.

IMO Duffy is just going to wait and see how other clubs situations turns out before making his mind.
If all the talk of financial doom and gloom is correct I can’t see him sticking about, which I feel is a shame. But if we don’t have the funds there isn’t much we can do.
I do fear that we will end up loosing our better performers if they are left waiting by the club as they will have caught the eye of others on our league and perhaps a few championship teams.
I hope the situation isn’t a long drawn out affair and we end up with a panic buys and poor loan deals.
I feel that we are kind of being held to ransom by duffy until he gets a better offer.

Sorry to see Mango and McLean moving on. Big Mango has been an excellent player for us especially, and I really hope he gets himself sorted with a good move. It's not been a good couple of seasons, but you cannot fault the effort and attitude he shows every time he steps on the pitch.

McLean was a good luck charm, played a sizeable role in our end of season form, and was pretty much faultless for the final month or so of the season. I wonder if he'll be back off overseas? 

Edited by Ross Forbes

IMO Duffy is just going to wait and see how other clubs situations turns out before making his mind.
If all the talk of financial doom and gloom is correct I can’t see him sticking about, which I feel is a shame. But if we don’t have the funds there isn’t much we can do.
I do fear that we will end up loosing our better performers if they are left waiting by the club as they will have caught the eye of others on our league and perhaps a few championship teams.
I hope the situation isn’t a long drawn out affair and we end up with a panic buys and poor loan deals.
I feel that we are kind of being held to ransom by duffy until he gets a better offer.
Whoa, whoa, hold on a bit. Jim Duffy was 60 recently and there's every possibility that he and whoever may be off on holiday right now - it could be as mundane as that. As regards the player situation, there are no surprises in any of the departures and we are all going to have to get used to every season being a low budget lucky bag of short-term signings and loan deals. Having said that I'm convinced that if Jim Duffy stays then we'll have a slightly better quality lucky bag.

Not overly bothered by any of the departures. Barr is clearly a very good player but we can ill afford one of our highest earners being so injury prone/enjoying holidays mid season. I'm surprised at McLean chucking it, I can't see him getting a better deal elsewhere tbh.

As for the rest, bar Ross Perry who tried his best, good fucking riddance. There are a couple of names missing from that list that I hoped to see on it mind you.

Can we assume the others have been offered contracts? If that is the case can we assume Duffy has decided he is staying?

Whoa, whoa, hold on a bit. Jim Duffy was 60 recently and there's every possibility that he and whoever may be off on holiday right now - it could be as mundane as that.

Duffy has been very public in saying he's only going to hang around if we have a budget that allows him to challenge for promotion. If he has indeed gone on holiday without confirming if he's staying then it would be in our best interests to turn our attention elsewhere.

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Not overly bothered by any of the departures. Barr is clearly a very good player but we can ill afford one of our highest earners being so injury prone/enjoying holidays mid season. I'm surprised at McLean chucking it, I can't see him getting a better deal elsewhere tbh.

As for the rest, bar Ross Perry who tried his best, good fucking riddance. There are a couple of names missing from that list that I hoped to see on it mind you.

Can we assume the others have been offered contracts? If that is the case can we assume Duffy has decided he is staying?

This was my thinking. Either that or Duffy hasn't spoke to some of the others (which would be strange in itself).

Be interesting to hear what's happening with the like of Boris and Beany...

Edited by squeezeboxson

1 minute ago, squeezeboxson said:

This was my thinking. Either that or Duffy hasn't spoke to some of the others (which would be strange in itself).

Those were the two I had in my head as well. 

I guess they could both be away on holiday, or there could be some truth in the Beany player/coach rumour?

Whoa, whoa, hold on a bit. Jim Duffy was 60 recently and there's every possibility that he and whoever may be off on holiday right now - it could be as mundane as that. As regards the player situation, there are no surprises in any of the departures and we are all going to have to get used to every season being a low budget lucky bag of short-term signings and loan deals. Having said that I'm convinced that if Jim Duffy stays then we'll have a slightly better quality lucky bag.
I'm not sure I've ever been anything other than used to a sizeable turnover on a limited budget as a Dumbarton fan and i'm sure we're not unique in that respect either.

Those were the two I had in my head as well. 
I guess they could both be away on holiday, or there could be some truth in the Beany player/coach rumour?
Boris is the Dom Thomas replacement IMO.

On 08/05/2019 at 11:10, Ross Forbes said:

Thomas Reilly liked that tweet too and was only on the bench for Forfar last night :wub:

Ehm. Might as well chuck a few names out there who are/might be available I guess.

Chris O'Neil (Airdrie), Daryll Meggatt (hasn't signed a new deal at East Fife yet I don't think), Lewis Kidd is out of contract at Falkirk and strikes me as a Duffy kind of player and Connor McManus at Stranraer who Duffy signed for Morton - after he'd been on trial with us.

I'd be quite happy with any of them coming in.

Daryll Meggat highly likely to drop to juniors.

22 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Heard someone say Dom Thomas to Kelty Hearts but presumed it was shite

Can't imagine Dom Thomas is desperate to work with Barry Ferguson...:lol: Plus, he's got a year of his Killie contract to go and has every intention of proving that he deserves a starting place with them.

I’m in no way panicking but just as a comparison, East Fife have twelve players signed for next season, including yesterday’s confirmation of Danny Denholm.

Very decent player if you ask me. Whereby we don’t even know what budget or manager we’ll have next season. As I said not panicking but a smidge unnerved.