Sons' sorrow

I sincerely hope by "bit part" it means he'll only be used when we have absolutely no other choice. He's absolutely done and I'd be hugely disappointed if we signed him to use him regularly, even from the bench.
I'd love to see him get his milestone goal but I would hope he'd be the last choice striker. At least if he's coaching, he'd be earning his money rather than us wasting money through sentiment.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Would be really cool if we could find out which of our duds are being released and which of our good guys have been offered deals.

Agreed. I really need to know what's happening. I'm guessing the hold up might be related to not knowing whether or not Duffy will still be in charge? Assuming he does stick around though here's a copy and paste to use on the website....Just to speed things up.

MANAGER Jim Duffy started contract talks with players at the C&G Systems Stadium tonight and as result some members of the 2018/2019 squad have been released.

Leaving the club with our best wishes are Grant Adam, Willie Dyer, Ross Perry, Boris Melingui, Michael Paton and Ryan Thomson. Cammy Ballantyne meanwhile has turned down the offer of a new contract, and joined League One rivals Montrose.

Forward Iain Russell has agreed a new deal that will see him step back from playing and into a coaching role with the club's forwards.

Players offered terms for the new campaign are Calum Gallagher, Stuart Carswell, Kyle Hutton, Brian McLean, Ross Forbes, Bobby Barr, Conor Brennan and Craig Barr.

Jim said: “I'd like to thank all the players, including those who were on loan, for their contribution during their time at Dumbarton.

"We wish them all the very best for the future.

"We are actively seeking additions to the playing staff for the new season and over the weeks ahead, the squad will take shape."

The outcome of any negotiations will be reported on the club's website as soon as possible.

40 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Agreed. I really need to know what's happening. I'm guessing the hold up might be related to not knowing whether or not Duffy will still be in charge? Assuming he does stick around though here's a copy and paste to use on the website....Just to speed things up.

Dangerous stuff Sir !!  I initially speed read your post and it was only when I went back to check something I realised it was a spoof.  The less intelligent than myself, of which there are legions, could easily be fooled  :unsure:

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Dangerous stuff Sir !!  I initially speed read your post and it was only when I went back to check something I realised it was a spoof.  The less intelligent than myself, of which there are legions, could easily be fooled  :unsure:

:lol: I must admit I did think twice before going for it for that very reason...

Spoiler

If anyone's looking for something to do this afternoon screenshot it, crop it and put it on the Facebook group :ph34r:

44 minutes ago, Supremesons said:

Will we have a new home and away kit this season or just a new home one?

How do you find the Joma kit, we have just signed a 2 year deals with Football Nation....we had Hummell the season past top quality but not interested in the smaller teams..

Quite unhappy with the way things turned out with Ryan Thomson.

He's had games where he looked good as the link between midfield and attack where he can hold the ball up with his back to goal or run at defenders and force them to foul him. He's looked ok in midfield at times. He filled in at right back for us and wasn't always terrible there.

He just hasnt shown what he's clearly capable of anywhere near enough and he's had injury problems that have been a struggle to clear. Was his poorer performances at times down to injury or attitude? Was he released because he wasn't good enough or because he was never fit and healthy enough?

Could and should have turned out differently for him at Dumbarton.

He's had games where he looked good as the link between midfield and attack where he can hold the ball up with his back to goal or run at defenders and force them to foul him. He's looked ok in midfield at times. He filled in at right back for us and wasn't always terrible there.
He just hasnt shown what he's clearly capable of anywhere near enough and he's had injury problems that have been a struggle to clear. Was his poorer performances at times down to injury or attitude? Was he released because he wasn't good enough or because he was never fit and healthy enough?
I think there lies the problem, what's his position? Striker? Number 10? Centre mid? Full back? Played all those for us and although done ok never exactly set the world alight. Players who can play in so many positions are rarely exceptional, a classic Stevie Aitken signing. Personally I'd rather we signed actual strikers, midfielders and defenders rather than guys who can fill in. I'm not overly fussed about him leaving tbh.

Just now, pleslie99 said:
14 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I think there lies the problem, what's his position? Striker? Number 10? Centre mid? Full back? Played all those for us and although done ok never exactly set the world alight. Players who can play in so many positions are rarely exceptional, a classic Stevie Aitken signing. Personally I'd rather we signed actual strikers, midfielders and defenders rather than guys who can fill in. I'm not overly fussed about him leaving tbh.

In a modern squad game it's rare to be able to have dedicated cover for every position, particularly in a part time club. Utility players who can fill in at another position can be useful.

It's certainly a worry that we never really found what his best position was. Partly down to injuries and partly down to the number of different positions we had him play. Also partly down to the player himself never really excelling anywhere. A run in a settled team and he'd possibly have shown more? 

Never really gave Ryan Thomson a second thought tbh..

Ryan Thomson looked a pretty average League One signing on paper, and proved to be just that in real life. It says a lot about him that Duffy chose to move Calum Gallagher into central midfield and start Boris up top rather than playing him in there against Forfar when Carsy limped out of the warmup.

I had thought he might become a more important player after the turn of the year, but anytime he played he just looked clumsy and ineffective.

Ryan Thomson looked a pretty average League One signing on paper, and proved to be just that in real life. It says a lot about him that Duffy chose to move Calum Gallagher into central midfield and start Boris up top rather than playing him in there against Forfar when Carsy limped out of the warmup.

I had thought he might become a more important player after the turn of the year, but anytime he played he just looked clumsy and ineffective.
For one half v Killie he looked a decent holding target man; at the other extreme he had possibly the worst substitute cameo I've ever seen from a Sons player. In between there was next to nothing. Moving on......

13 hours ago, Passionate said:

How do you find the Joma kit, we have just signed a 2 year deals with Football Nation....we had Hummell the season past top quality but not interested in the smaller teams..

The 1st kit they produced for us was an absolute peach (see bottom pic with Prince Nade)

Designs got more bizarre though, lots of stripes, flashes & colour fade, culminating in this season's mess complete with knee length knickerbockers. 

Be great if they would keep designs simple yet classy. (again bottom pic) :P

thumbnail_asp.thumb.jpg.2e6c9bdb47cc0d679024dc7c25bca57c.jpg587a6997b289c_nadecalmdown.jpg.f501e94b853587c855c22b603d8d2982.jpg