Sons' sorrow

No doubt we’ll piss about like the majority of years and end up with a load of duds like usually happens.

It’s so frustrating. The open window doesn’t just spring open and surprise clubs it happens every year at the same time.

So why does it always seem or feel as though we are running around at the last minute clutching at straws ??.

I would love to see us get our squad sorted early on and let who ever the manager is get his message across to the players in pre season of how he wants them to play.

But only time will tell I suppose, but I wonder how many times a certain member of this forum will refresh his Dumbarton football club website feed this summer [emoji23][emoji85].

I really don’t think it’s fair to say we’ve always ended up with Duds by a long way. But it would be nice if we have a manager that is 100% stay in place get the squad started ASAP as it has been painfully slow during the Aitken era.

No doubt we’ll piss about like the majority of years and end up with a load of duds like usually happens.

It’s so frustrating. The open window doesn’t just spring open and surprise clubs it happens every year at the same time.

So why does it always seem or feel as though we are running around at the last minute clutching at straws ??.

I would love to see us get our squad sorted early on and let who ever the manager is get his message across to the players in pre season of how he wants them to play.

But only time will tell I suppose, but I wonder how many times a certain member of this forum will refresh his Dumbarton football club website feed this summer [emoji23][emoji85].
Iirc Airdrie fans were very pleased that they had their squad sorted early on in the close season last year. Not a guarantee of success. It's more important that we get the right players, even if it means a few come in later.

I don’t want to be the one to start rumours, but Robert Thomson has liked two of my Tweets over the past couple of days. So I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to take from that, that he’s absolutely coming back.

#StackshelfersSons

35 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I don’t want to be the one to start rumours, but Robert Thomson has liked two of my Tweets over the past couple of days. So I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to take from that, that he’s absolutely coming back.

#StackshelfersSons

Is he out of hospital yet?

10 hours ago, pleslie99 said:
11 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:
[mention=73749]Rangeman[/mention]?

He wont be back, unless Ally Roy returns.

Interesting to note that he was quickly filtered out of the Partick squad. Not sure about his situation re injuries or anything. But he didn't have much of an impact and a quick check suggests he hasn't been in a match day squad since mid March. 

13 hours ago, RGD89 said:

But only time will tell I suppose, but I wonder how many times a certain member of this forum will refresh his Dumbarton football club website feed this summer emoji23.pngemoji85.png.

The window isn't even open yet, calm doon :lol:

9 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

#StackshelfersSons

We had Thommo and Gallagher for a full year and never saw them play as a front two.  In my head it seems fantastic, but there's part of me that doesn't want Thommo back - I worry a year of bit part football and injuries will take it's effect. Then I look at the photo in my signature and think "fucking shut up, Moonster, get the big sexy b*****d back now".

We had Thommo and Gallagher for a full year and never saw them play as a front two.  In my head it seems fantastic, but there's part of me that doesn't want Thommo back - I worry a year of bit part football and injuries will take it's effect. Then I look at the photo in my signature and think "fucking shut up, Moonster, get the big sexy b*****d back now".
I'll be honest, I never really rated Thomson when he played as a striker. He seemed to come to life when we played him wide with Vaughan in behind Nade after a really average first half to the season. He did have an impressive record as a stiker with Brechin at this level so I suppose it could work.

By all accounts he's been pretty hopeless for Morton, had a few bad injuries and not been much of a regular. Maybe with a solid pre season and a run of games he could get back to the level he was at pre Morton but I'm not fully convinced.

27 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'll be honest, I never really rated Thomson when he played as a striker. He seemed to come to life when we played him wide with Vaughan in behind Nade after a really average first half to the season. He did have an impressive record as a stiker with Brechin at this level so I suppose it could work.

By all accounts he's been pretty hopeless for Morton, had a few bad injuries and not been much of a regular. Maybe with a solid pre season and a run of games he could get back to the level he was at pre Morton but I'm not fully convinced.

I think Thommo's style would suit having a wee busy guy like Gallagher next to him. We always played that 4-5-1 in the Championship and I think Thommo worked well out on the left because it gave him someone else further up the park to play with. Agree on his injuries and if he's just out of surgery then he'll probably have a fair bit of work involved to get fit.

Any more baseless rumours for us to discuss @Ross Forbes?

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think Thommo's style would suit having a wee busy guy like Gallagher next to him. We always played that 4-5-1 in the Championship and I think Thommo worked well out on the left because it gave him someone else further up the park to play with. Agree on his injuries and if he's just out of surgery then he'll probably have a fair bit of work involved to get fit.

Any more baseless rumours for us to discuss @Ross Forbes?

Thomas Reilly liked that tweet too and was only on the bench for Forfar last night :wub:

Ehm. Might as well chuck a few names out there who are/might be available I guess.

Chris O'Neil (Airdrie), Daryll Meggatt (hasn't signed a new deal at East Fife yet I don't think), Lewis Kidd is out of contract at Falkirk and strikes me as a Duffy kind of player and Connor McManus at Stranraer who Duffy signed for Morton - after he'd been on trial with us.

I'd be quite happy with any of them coming in.

2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Thomas Reilly liked that tweet too and was only on the bench for Forfar last night :wub:

Is supposedly injured but was on the bench last night. Looks like he will be off just hope it's not to the LL as rumoured.

1 minute ago, nofixedability said:

Is supposedly injured but was on the bench last night. Looks like he will be off just hope it's not to the LL as rumoured.

I'm going to be so gutted if he ends up at Kelty. Mainly because it means I can't fanboy over him four times a season without looking really weird.

2 hours ago, RGD89 said:

Did I read on here that beanie had retired ??? Or was going too ?

I heard yesterday (about third or fourth hand which is why I didn't mention it) that he has been offered a player/coach role. It gets him into the coaching side of things and he can be a bit part player which still gives him the chance to get his 200th goal at some point!

I heard yesterday (about third or fourth hand which is why I didn't mention it) that he has been offered a player/coach role. It gets him into the coaching side of things and he can be a bit part player which still gives him the chance to get his 200th goal at some point!
I sincerely hope by "bit part" it means he'll only be used when we have absolutely no other choice. He's absolutely done and I'd be hugely disappointed if we signed him to use him regularly, even from the bench.