Sons' sorrow

4 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I take it it's tomorrow night that the players will find out about their futures? Iirc it's normally the first Tuesday after the end of the season.

Although I guess that we can already confirm that a few guys (Thomson, Dyer, Paton and Melingui) will be away.

And Perry. Don't tell me you forgot about him?!

5 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

And Perry. Don't tell me you forgot about him?!

There are two good reasons why I didn't include Perry in that list. Firstly because he's not actually been a bad player for us imo (on the rare occasions when he's been fit) and secondly because he didn't choose not to turn up at the weekend like the others (allegedly), he is actually crocked.

Can't fault his effort or commitment on the pitch, and I genuinely hope he enjoys a decent injury free time next season. From all our duds this season, he's the one I've got the most time for.

Edited by Ross Forbes

There are two good reasons why I didn't include Perry in that list. Firstly because he's not actually been a bad player for us imo (on the rare occasions when he's been fit) and secondly because he didn't choose not to turn up at the weekend like the others (allegedly), he is actually crocked.
Can't fault his effort or commitment on the pitch, and I genuinely hope he enjoys a decent injury free time next season. From all our duds this season, he's the one I've got the most time for.
No. Seriously no. And I hope if Jim Duffy and the DFC Board are serious about having a real go next season then there is no room for misplaced sentiment anywhere in the squad.

25 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

No. Seriously no. And I hope if Jim Duffy and the DFC Board are serious about having a real go next season then there is no room for misplaced sentiment anywhere in the squad.

I should point out that I'm not saying that we should keep him, merely that he's been an hardworking, brave honest big guy who doesn't hide on the pitch - something that puts him above quite a few members of the squad...

If he can get himself injury free he'll be absolutely fine at the bottom end of League One/League Two for someone imo.

Just watched Dumbarton highlights from Saturday. Real nice touch putting celebrations and guard of honour etc on them so thank you for that whoever done them will probably revisit in the future for memories of happier times.

Probably when we are stranded at the bottom of the Championship watching us get pumped every week. [emoji12]

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
4 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I agree with Ross Forbes when it comes to Ross Perry. The few times he has played he has actually looked pretty decent in my opinion. Certainly not as bad as he was made out to be by others when we signed him up. If it wasn't for him being permanently injured then I wouldn't be against him signing on as backup like he was this season.

However, we can't take the chance on injury prone players like him for next season though if we want to have a proper go for the top 4. We need a squad of fit hard working players to be in with the best shot possible.

I’m sure Jim and the Board are serious as are the loyal core fans. The real questions are will all the lost season ticket holders come back and does the town really care ?

I sincerely hope the board are able to match Jim's ambition but we can only piss with the cock we've got. It's getting a bit boring listening to him say that he's only going to hang around if we are able to somehow provide him with a promotion chasing budget. Is he expecting similar resources to say Falkirk? Or potentially Raith or Queens?

Either way I hope this saga will be resolved soon, we need to get to work pronto.

If Queens come down, you've got Falkirk, Queens, Raith and Airdrie all some form of full time and you would expect with larger budgets than us. Duffy says he wants promotion, so top 4 is his target. Does he expect a full time budget? If so, I suggest we thank him for his efforts and find someone else. It's been well documented how much we struggled financially this season, whilst I want us to be ambitious I fully expect the board to temper their expectations slightly in regards to setting budgets. 

I know fans hear this a lot but if we want to be challenging for top 4 then get down and buy your season book as soon as possible. Show the board we back them and it'll give them no reason not to back Duffy.

If Queens come down, you've got Falkirk, Queens, Raith and Airdrie all some form of full time and you would expect with larger budgets than us. Duffy says he wants promotion, so top 4 is his target. Does he expect a full time budget? If so, I suggest we thank him for his efforts and find someone else. It's been well documented how much we struggled financially this season, whilst I want us to be ambitious I fully expect the board to temper their expectations slightly in regards to setting budgets. 
I know fans hear this a lot but if we want to be challenging for top 4 then get down and buy your season book as soon as possible. Show the board we back them and it'll give them no reason not to back Duffy.
I fundamentally agree, especially your last paragraph. I think the club should take the lead by Emailing all those S/T holders who dropped off the radar this time last year. I've no doubt that a combination of falling out of the Championship with a brand of dire football and the generally flat mood around the club were big factors here. It probably also emerged that certain supporters had less confidence in Stevie Aitken than the rest of us. But we move on and I feel the Directors can certainly make an honest pitch asking everyone to now step up to the plate, and the sooner the better.

33 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I fundamentally agree, especially your last paragraph. I think the club should take the lead by Emailing all those S/T holders who dropped off the radar this time last year. I've no doubt that a combination of falling out of the Championship with a brand of dire football and the generally flat mood around the club were big factors here. It probably also emerged that certain supporters had less confidence in Stevie Aitken than the rest of us. But we move on and I feel the Directors can certainly make an honest pitch asking everyone to now step up to the plate, and the sooner the better.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the club did send out emails to any lapsed season ticket holders (that they still had proper contact details for) when they launched the season ticket deal.

17 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
19 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

What about well placed sentiment?

Any word on players leaving/offered deals? See a lot of clubs have announced this already

No doubt we’ll piss about like the majority of years and end up with a load of duds like usually happens.

It’s so frustrating. The open window doesn’t just spring open and surprise clubs it happens every year at the same time.

So why does it always seem or feel as though we are running around at the last minute clutching at straws ??.

I would love to see us get our squad sorted early on and let who ever the manager is get his message across to the players in pre season of how he wants them to play.

But only time will tell I suppose, but I wonder how many times a certain member of this forum will refresh his Dumbarton football club website feed this summer [emoji23][emoji85].

3 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

But only time will tell I suppose, but I wonder how many times a certain member of this forum will refresh his Dumbarton football club website feed this evening emoji23.pngemoji85.png.

FTFY