Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

DT is up for PFA League One Player of the Year. Delighted for him, it's a great achievement and very well deserved.

I had a look back and I don't think a Sons player has ever won the award and, to be honest, I can't remember the last player we had nominated. Scott Agnew in 2011/12 maybe? He made it in TOTY (as did Stephen Grindlay. Paul McGinn did so in 2013/14 too) - but I can't remember if Aggy was ever nominated for the overall award.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4019

Not sure that's right, I remember Jim Lister winning the Ballon d'Or in 2012.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

DT is up for PFA League One Player of the Year. Delighted for him, it's a great achievement and very well deserved.

I had a look back and I don't think a Sons player has ever won the award and, to be honest, I can't remember the last player we had nominated. Scott Agnew in 2011/12 maybe? He made it in TOTY (as did Stephen Grindlay. Paul McGinn did so in 2013/14 too) - but I can't remember if Aggy was ever nominated for the overall award.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4019

Terrific to see ex Sons legend Kevin Nisbet also in the running...

46 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Terrific to see ex Sons legend Kevin Nisbet also in the running...

Makes you wonder how little an impact DT would've made for us if a certain someone who managed Nisbet to a total of 0 goals in 13 appearances was still in charge...

Brabco are right. There is no reason whatsoever to sign over any club assett , big or small, without gain for the club.If plans for this pathway were made and published without prior consultation of the club then that is on the Council.

I think I have been rational to this point, now I am going to be true to my paranoid, conspiracy theory geeky self.

There are people on the council who could not give a damn about the club. They see us as a diddy club and their  affections lie in Glasgow, and I do not mean with Thistle or Queens Park. They may even by hostile to the idea of a successful local community club which broadens its support base, offers cheaper football and is free of a lot of ugly stuff to be found elsewhere. Hence the narrow defeat of the planning application. Happy to be shot down on this by people who know more about that than me, but that is my suspicion.

Brabco are right. There is no reason whatsoever to sign over any club assett , big or small, without gain for the club.If plans for this pathway were made and published without prior consultation of the club then that is on the Council.
I think I have been rational to this point, now I am going to be true to my paranoid, conspiracy theory geeky self.
There are people on the council who could not give a damn about the club. They see us as a diddy club and their  affections lie in Glasgow, and I do not mean with Thistle or Queens Park. They may even by hostile to the idea of a successful local community club which broadens its support base, offers cheaper football and is free of a lot of ugly stuff to be found elsewhere. Hence the narrow defeat of the planning application. Happy to be shot down on this by people who know more about that than me, but that is my suspicion.
I am unsure why the local government would be against a local community club broadening it's support base and offering cheaper football, not sure what that has to do with them; unless you are referring to the personal allegiances of council officials?

Happy to shoot you down.

18 minutes ago, cremola foam said:

The objection we raised was about lighting up the castle, not the walkway which has been proposed before, I think. The land that Historic Scotland (or the council, not sure who proposed this) want to put these lights on are on bits of land that we can't develop as far as I'm aware. Brabco's objection stated that the club needed to look at ways of maximising our profit on the current site but I honestly don't see how a couple of lamp posts at the castle side stop us from doing anything, it's just car parking space and grass and we can't build there. Their objection seems petty to me but they are within their rights to do so.  

I'm not entirely fond of how our council goes about certain things (the expectation that DFC would pay up hundreds of thousands of pounds for them to build the aforementioned pathway on our land is still a particularly baffling one for me) and I agree that the majority of local councillors probably don't give two fucks about DFC or how successful it is but do you think that the proposals Brabco put forward were suitable for the community?  There were huge question marks over funding, access and egress to the new stadium and flooding risk which Brabco failed to satisfy in the proposal. Even taking out the question of whether councillors want us to be successful, they need to act in the interests of the community as a whole and I tend to agree with them that building a stadium at Youngs Farm would've been a disaster. 

There are people on the council who could not give a damn about the club.

We should be more concerned about the fact our owners don't give a damn about the club tbh.

It would be in our best interests to work with the council rather than against them. They didn't throw out our planning application because they don't like Dumbarton FC, they did so because it was fucking ridiculous.

The only thing we gain from refusing permission to install a few lighting columns is a backlash from the local community (there's been plenty so far, even after we released a statement) we are working hard to get onboard and a soured relationship with the local council.

12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We should be more concerned about the fact our owners don't give a damn about the club tbh.

It would be in our best interests to work with the council rather than against them. They didn't throw out our planning application because they don't like Dumbarton FC, they did so because it was fucking ridiculous.

The only thing we gain from refusing permission to install a few lighting columns is a backlash from the local community (there's been plenty so far, even after we released a statement) we are working hard to get onboard and a soured relationship with the local council.

The objection to the castle/rock lighting planning application was made nearly one year ago, why is this suddenly news? In the spirit of come and go, it makes sense for DFC to accommodate the council where they can as long as the club itself does not incur costs either now or in the future. The WDC website portal for planning shows who exactly constructed the objection on behalf of the club and to be fair, the objection as outlined seems reasonable and is open to discussion. The newspaper article is online click bait with the casual observer ignoring the substance and just taking in a catchy title for the story. The mock outrage from the self-styled paragons of the community is sad and funny at the same time.

The Young's Farm stadium proposal, in my opinion, was always doomed to failure for all sorts of reasons. I can see comparisons in the current Sons situation with that of Clydebank. The club though does have something that at the time of the Bankies demise did not. A home. A leaking home by all accounts but bricks and mortar (plus steel) all the same. Brabco clearly sees the land on which the current stadium is built as some sort of cash opportunity. They don't care about the football club - never have in my opinion. Is there not a bloke involved with them that has been struck off for dodgy business dealings? 

The objection to the castle/rock lighting planning application was made nearly one year ago, why is this suddenly news? In the spirit of come and go, it makes sense for DFC to accommodate the council where they can as long as the club itself does not incur costs either now or in the future. The WDC website portal for planning shows who exactly constructed the objection on behalf of the club and to be fair, the objection as outlined seems reasonable and is open to discussion. The newspaper article is online click bait with the casual observer ignoring the substance and just taking in a catchy title for the story. The mock outrage from the self-styled paragons of the community is sad and funny at the same time.

I've no idea why it's suddenly news, I certainly hadn't heard anything about it until the local press picked up on it. I'm not sure it's clickbait tbh, it's hardly made up nor is it dramatised, it even includes direct quotes from the owners. I wouldn't really say the headline is misleading either, at the end of the day our owners rejected it, whether it was up for discussion or not.

Whilst the majority of folk commenting are Facebook roasters they do have a point. The castle looks spectacular when it's lit up at night and it's something the locals have wanted reinstated for a long time. If I was to put myself in their shoes I'd probably be annoyed at seeing the local football club reject the prosposal. Thankfully the board moved very quickly to distance the club from the stance of the owners, unfortunately some of the said Facebook roasters seem unable to comprehend that statement.

The Young's Farm stadium proposal, in my opinion, was always doomed to failure for all sorts of reasons. I can see comparisons in the current Sons situation with that of Clydebank. The club though does have something that at the time of the Bankies demise did not. A home. A leaking home by all accounts but bricks and mortar (plus steel) all the same. Brabco clearly sees the land on which the current stadium is built as some sort of cash opportunity. They don't care about the football club - never have in my opinion. Is there not a bloke involved with them that has been struck off for dodgy business dealings? 

It’s only been brought to the attention of the public now because that f*cking rag of a newspaper got hold of the story and posted it for “likes” on social media.

You may be able to tell I’m not a great fan of our local tabloid.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Given that the vote against the stadium was only 10-9 i don't think they threw it out because it was ridiculous

Given that the vote against the stadium was only 10-9 i don't think they threw it out because it was ridiculous
Thankfully the 9 idiots who supported building a stadium on a floodplain, with limited access and pie in the sky commercial spaces that would lie empty were outvoted by the 10 who quite rightly thought it was fucking ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

It’s only been brought to the attention of the public now because that f*cking rag of a newspaper got hold of the story and posted it for “likes” on social media.

You may be able to tell I’m not a great fan of our local tabloid.

Good job you're in hospitality on Saturday or I'd be right up for a square-go for patter like that :lol:

Spoiler

Unless you mean the Reporter obviously, in which case fire away panning them.