Sons' sorrow

I notice that Brabco have rejected the council's prosposals to light up the castle because the stadium move was blocked. As expected the locals aren't best pleased about it.

Some of the comments regarding the club in general are absolutely depressing.
I haven't seen these comments but whether we like it or not a very bad impression has formed in sections of the local community. What makes it doubly annoying is that none of it is football-related and it has it's origins in the days when the club's high-handed PR was utterly abysmal. It could help if this message found its way onto Facebook and elsewhere, and to make it explicitly clear that Brabco do not have the interests of either the club or its supporters at heart.
And by the way, everyone should understand that most of the shit-stirrers would not piss on DFC if it was on fire, especially one former colleague of mine who went way OTT in the wake of an incident involving a charity function, albeit gloriously mishandled by the then officials.

31 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I haven't seen these comments but whether we like it or not a very bad impression has formed in sections of the local community. What makes it doubly annoying is that none of it is football-related and it has it's origins in the days when the club's high-handed PR was utterly abysmal. It could help if this message found its way onto Facebook and elsewhere, and to make it explicitly clear that Brabco do not have the interests of either the club or its supporters at heart.
And by the way, everyone should understand that most of the shit-stirrers would not piss on DFC if it was on fire, especially one former colleague of mine who went way OTT in the wake of an incident involving a charity function, albeit gloriously mishandled by the then officials.

Hi, I've probably not been eloquent enough, but I've added this. There is a long list of people reacting exactly the way you'd expect to, though, so I'm probably pissing into a wind worse than what wheechs up the Clyde on  game day in January, though.

Screenshot_20190422-162940_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hi, I've probably not been eloquent enough, but I've added this. There is a long list of people reacting exactly the way you'd expect to, though, so I'm probably pissing into a wind worse than what wheechs up the Clyde on  game day in January, though.
5cbddeb9d63da_Screenshot_20190422-162940_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.79b16063336bc83026113e3180068731.jpg
Well done Sir !

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Those that run the operations at the castle prevented us from really cashing in on hearts, hibs and rangers being in the league by opposing temporary stands. This is clearly tit for tat.

Tough one to call. They shafted us so it's only fair but on the other hand locals who don't know any better will, and are, turning on the club.

I don't think the new stadium is purely the reason for the club's objection. I'm pretty sure the council are expecting quite a big contribution from dfc to the new footpath linking to the town centre.

I'm all for the club board and brabco making these decisions to protect their assets.

I don't think the new stadium is purely the reason for the club's objection. I'm pretty sure the council are expecting quite a big contribution from dfc to the new footpath linking to the town centre.

I'm all for the club board and brabco making these decisions to protect their assets.
The article quite clearly states the following...

The objection stated: “Planning permission was recently refused for the club to relocate from the Castle Road site.

“This now makes it necessary for DFC and its investors to focus on maximising the opportunity to introduce additional non-football revenue generating uses on land around the existing stadium site.

“In order to ensure that these uses can be accommodated, it is now likely that the route of the proposed walkway and location of the lighting will have to be amended to minimise the effect on the developable area.

“It will not be possible for WDC to locate the lighting columns on the DFC land in the locations currently shown.”

They have objected the plans because they didn't get their new stadium and are therefore claiming we can't accomodate the lighting columns on the current land as we have to build on the current site to maximise profits (absolutely never going to happen).

In terms of the walkway, I was under the impression the council requested us to repair the wall that runs along the length of our land. I'm no legal expert, but I'm not sure they can demand money from us to contribute towards the walkway itself. And if they did we could tell them where to ram it without the need for tit for tat nonsense like this.

Either way, the owners are taking a stance that is going to do absolutely nothing to endear us to an already apathetic local community. This really does make us look like the bad guys. Even if it was a case of the club protecting their assets, I'd like to think there would be better ways of going about it.

The article quite clearly states the following...

The objection stated: “Planning permission was recently refused for the club to relocate from the Castle Road site.

“This now makes it necessary for DFC and its investors to focus on maximising the opportunity to introduce additional non-football revenue generating uses on land around the existing stadium site.

“In order to ensure that these uses can be accommodated, it is now likely that the route of the proposed walkway and location of the lighting will have to be amended to minimise the effect on the developable area.

“It will not be possible for WDC to locate the lighting columns on the DFC land in the locations currently shown.”

They have objected the plans because they didn't get their new stadium and are therefore claiming we can't accomodate the lighting columns on the current land as we have to build on the current site to maximise profits (absolutely never going to happen).

In terms of the walkway, I was under the impression the council requested us to repair the wall that runs along the length of our land. I'm no legal expert, but I'm not sure they can demand money from us to contribute towards the walkway itself. And if they did we could tell them where to ram it without the need for tit for tat nonsense like this.

Either way, the owners are taking a stance that is going to do absolutely nothing to endear us to an already apathetic local community. This really does make us look like the bad guys. Even if it was a case of the club protecting their assets, I'd like to think there would be better ways of going about it.
I just wish Sons fans would see Brabco for what they are; misadventure capitalists who misjudged just about everything and are now nothing but a non-contributing barrier to DFC's progress.
The irony of them complaining about lighting columns is truly priceless; this from a mob who aren't prepared to maintain the 'lighting columns' of their principal asset, never mind a myriad of other issues of neglect.
How people still accord them any credence is beyond me.

Hi y'all. Please see the response to the lighting story from the Club this morning: https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4017
Delighted to see the football club putting clear blue water between itself and the majority shareholder. No-one should be in any doubt that only one of these parties has the interests of DFC and the local community at the heart of its activities.

5 hours ago, TheFarPost said:

Hi y'all. Please see the response to the lighting story from the Club this morning: https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4017

Love that. It really is important that we get the message out to everyone in the locality (and beyond) that Brabco are not Dumbarton Football Club. It's such a kick in the teeth for everyone working hard to make the club part of the community to see them acting in that sort of way.

Love that the self appointed justice warrior of Dumbarton has come out with "withdraw your objection. we the people of dumbarton demand the castle is lit up" as if she's some sort of community spokesperson. These folk genuinely think they're changing the world bit by bit with each outraged comment they make on facebook.

DT is up for PFA League One Player of the Year. Delighted for him, it's a great achievement and very well deserved.

I had a look back and I don't think a Sons player has ever won the award and, to be honest, I can't remember the last player we had nominated. Scott Agnew in 2011/12 maybe? He made it in TOTY (as did Stephen Grindlay. Paul McGinn did so in 2013/14 too) - but I can't remember if Aggy was ever nominated for the overall award.

https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4019