Sons' sorrow

I'd love to see Duffy turn us into a force at this level, I really would, but I'm just not convinced. Hopefully he will prove me wrong, he was the guy I wanted appointed and he seems like a decent bloke.

I'll be honest though, as much as we have improved from the turgid shite Aitken served up, we haven't improved enough IMO. Whilst the squad is imbalanced and full of crocks, Duffy still has a decent pool of players to work with and has brought in 6 or 7 of his own since arriving. As I mentioned in my original post, there's just something there that doesn't feel right, I just can't really put my finger on what it is. Duffy just seems very unenthusiastic and the players just don't really look like they are enjoying it much either and now we have rumours of Ballantyne heading back to Montrose which would back that up.

I'm more than happy for Duffy to stay and build his own squad (if he keeps us up) and at the same time I'm more than happy to part ways amicably and seek out a new gaffer for a completely fresh start next season. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Duffy walk at the end of the season.
I get the feeling that Jim Duffy himself will decide whether he wishes to continue in his role. There's a lot more to management than just the ninety minutes per week, and until DFC prises itself away from Brabco's icy grip these aspects will remain a problem.

More realistically, scrapping around in this division is our level. Our time in the championship was wonderful, but I’ve spent more time watching us trying to escape the bottom tier than I have watching us trying to survive in the championship...

When you a have a top 4 League 1 budget the only thing you should be scrapping for is a promotion playoff place.

If we can pick up 3 points from one of our upcoming home games (especially the Stranraer one) then I would be pretty confident that we will avoid the bottom 2 spots. I don't see Stenny and Brechin picking up 4 points more than us over the next 3 games. They still have to play each other on the last game of the season as well.

My only concern is that we haven't actually played well for a good number of games now despite picking up a few wins and draws. I feel like most of our recent games haven't been very easy on the eye and we have lost whatever it was we had during the 7 game unbeaten run, where we actually played quite well.

It might just be that teams are crowding out Dom Thomas more than they were before. Without him in the team we have absolutely nothing going forward except maybe a long range effort by Forbes. It's really unsettling that we rely on one player so much. I suppose Carsy is the same to a certain extent where the team is unbalanced without him.

Edited by super-son

A big, big thank you for @Silverton End for tipping me off, matchworn kit being sold off draws me like a moth to a flame. Real good thinking by the club too, because this should generate a decent bit of pocket change; it did for us when Berwick sold off old tops from matches versus the Rangers with Certificates of Authenticity.

I went ahead and asked the club's Twitter if they could maybe, just maybe reserve a kit or two for me, but failling that, is anyone planning on going to the sale first thing in the morning when the doors open at 10 AM who could maybe help me out here?

Also, I can't find any record of that 2001 Methode shirt ever being worn by the first team - Vandanel kit was worn at the time rather than Xara.

(I love this site; http://historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Dumbarton/Dumbarton.htm )

Edited by DutchBorderer

A big, big thank you for [mention=51674]Silverton End[/mention] for tipping me off, matchworn kit being sold off draws me like a moth to a flame. Real good thinking by the club too, because this should generate a decent bit of pocket change; it did for us when Berwick sold off old tops from matches versus the Rangers with Certificates of Authenticity.
I went ahead and asked the club's Twitter if they could maybe, just maybe reserve a kit or two for me, but failling that, is anyone planning on going to the sale first thing in the morning when the doors open at 10 AM who could maybe help me out here?
Also, I can't find any record of that 2001 Methode shirt ever being worn by the first team - Vandanel kit was worn at the time rather than Xara.
(I love this site; http://historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Dumbarton/Dumbarton.htm )
I'm sure we wore the Xara kit before the Vandanel, if memory serves we released around the time we played Dundee at Dens in one of the cups.

33 minutes ago, albundy said:
1 hour ago, DutchBorderer said:
A big, big thank you for [mention=51674]Silverton End[/mention] for tipping me off, matchworn kit being sold off draws me like a moth to a flame. Real good thinking by the club too, because this should generate a decent bit of pocket change; it did for us when Berwick sold off old tops from matches versus the Rangers with Certificates of Authenticity.

I'm sure we wore the Xara kit before the Vandanel, if memory serves we released around the time we played Dundee at Dens in one of the cups.

1999/2000 possiby?

Not the worst kit supplier to have, they made kits for teams across the UK with the most notable being Norwich when they were in the Prem in 2004/2005. Dundee FC, Raith, and St Johnstone had them as well if memory serves me right. If someone has a match picture of the full 99/00 kit, I'd be rather grateful for it being posted here.

Since I'm here anyway, I'm curious about this; white with a yellow/black chestband and full yellow with black details are both staples of DFC history, but which do you guys actually prefer? The yellow hasn't been seen since 2012 (probably because the 2011 white with a sash shirt sold absolute gangbusters) but featured for most of the past three decades. So a quick poll, what should the Sons wear?

https://www.strawpoll.me/17833030

Edited by DutchBorderer

1 minute ago, DutchBorderer said:

Not the worst kit supplier to have, they made kits for teams across the UK with the most notable being Norwich when they were in the Prem in 2004/2005. Dundee FC, Raith, and St Johnstone had them as well if memory serves me right. If someone has a match picture of the full 99/00 kit, I'd be rather grateful for it being posted here.

Since I'm here anyway, I'm curious about this; white with a yellow/black chestband and full yellow with black details are both staples of DFC history, but which do you guys actually prefer? The yellow hasn't been seen since 2012 (probably because the 2011 white with a sash shirt sold absolute gangbusters) but featured for most of the past three decades. So a quick poll, what should the Sons wear?

https://www.strawpoll.me/17833030

The white, the white, the white and a million times the white. I'm actually probably a wee bit too passionate about it :lol:

That white kit with the black and gold band is pretty iconic. Most Scottish football fans would look at it and instantly recognise it as a Dumbarton kit - just as people look at the Diamond and instantly recognise an Airdrie kit. I love that. It's unique to us and has a great retro feel to it. 

I'll be pretty gutted if/when we move away from a white home kit and back to the generic yellow/orange/gold kits we had for most of my childhood :(

This one, is the correct answer.
Capture.JPG.2ba7b329942c397cf68368e2ecf2c33f.JPG

Absolutely this! My favourite kit by far, although I did have a fondness for the Diadora gold with black shoulder strip made famous at Forthbank.

If give me the choice though it’d be the white with gold/black band, either as a horizontal band across the chest of this diagonal effort. Both iconic imo.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

This one, is the correct answer.

Capture.JPG.2ba7b329942c397cf68368e2ecf2c33f.JPG

Absolutely! This kit is by far the nicest I have seen us play in and I would love to have it back for another season.

I would like to see us go with a Solid Gold and Black away kit though for next season. Not sure why the away kit has been changed so dramatically over the past few seasons. Thought the Red and Black one was nice enough but just didn't feel "Dumbartony" to me. Edit to add: This years away kit is pretty horrendous. Only beaten away by those horrid misfitting Surridge Kits in 2011/12

What I'd love to see...

Home - See Above

Away - Dumbarton-Scotland-1993-1994-1995-Home-F

Edited by super-son

I don't think the diagonal strip is the worst but something about it just looks kinda cheap. I think its the black panels and the fact it was ill fitting (it was like wearing a tent).

This is our best kit for decades IMO...

Clean, smart, simple, classy and fits like a glove. I'd absolutely love to see us go back to something similar for next season.

45675921_2229040607337722_6142155136823722630_n.jpg

3 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

The white, the white, the white and a million times the white. I'm actually probably a wee bit too passionate about it :lol:

That white kit with the black and gold band is pretty iconic. Most Scottish football fans would look at it and instantly recognise it as a Dumbarton kit - just as people look at the Diamond and instantly recognise an Airdrie kit. I love that. It's unique to us and has a great retro feel to it. 

I'll be pretty gutted if/when we move away from a white home kit and back to the generic yellow/orange/gold kits we had for most of my childhood :(

You are fully correct on how iconic it is, and I think your enthusiasm has rubbed off;

image.png.550640e951c369dd57c60cdb9b247b38.png

Given numbers like this, I doubt a return to yellow/gold is on the cards any time soon - but as others have noted, bringing it back as an away kit would probably be met with cheers all around!

16 minutes ago, super-son said:

Thought the Red and Black one was nice enough but just didn't feel "Dumbartony" to me. Edit to add: This years away kit is pretty horrendous. Only beaten away by those horrid misfitting Surridge Kits in 2011/12

It was based on the final kit of Dumbarton Athletic when they merged with Dumbarton in 1989 - ye olde Dumbartony, then! But yes, a yellow/gold away top would be much better than the standard red/white kit being used at the moment.

12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don't think the diagonal strip is the worst but something about it just looks kinda cheap. I think its the black panels and the fact it was ill fitting (it was like wearing a tent).

Seems like everyone absolutely hated Surridge?

Regardless, perhaps this Berwick third shirt from half a decade ago may give you an idea of what a fresh take on the black/yellow sash might look like.

Dumbarton.thumb.jpg.1a508862beeb1c74a64aba9de544bcbf.jpg