Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Do we think loy will actually kick another ball for us? Being that he was signed on a 2 year deal he will likely be around next season unless he retires. Can we afford to keep paying him a full season to do nothing?

We don't really have a choice. He's got a contract - we pay him until he agrees to walk away.

We don't really have a choice. He's got a contract - we pay him until he agrees to walk away.
Technically aye, but we could agree a severence package that works out cheaper in the long run. You could also find that if he is fucked and can't play that he's offered a coaching role elsewhere that means he's happy to walk for nothing.

Either way I'd be fairly surprised if Loy is still with us come August.

18 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Technically aye, but we could agree a severence package that works out cheaper in the long run. You could also find that if he is fucked and can't play that he's offered a coaching role elsewhere that means he's happy to walk for nothing.

Either way I'd be fairly surprised if Loy is still with us come August.

I refer you to the 2nd part of my post.

We pay him until he agrees to walk away. He'd need to agree to a severance package. He might not be willing to do so if this is his last contract in football.

You do realise it's not like those TV shows where the one with the highest votes gets punted, right?

Is this an attempt at humour ??

Just as bad as Hutton’s general game play if it is.

[emoji85][emoji85]

I think we should park all chatter about POTY and concentrate on the job in hand.

Thankfully it isn't the fans on here who have to do that.

We may have bigger issues given we have already started selling season tickets at top end League 1 prices. I had a quick look at the League 2 prices after today's game and it looks like the average going rate is about £160.

The way this season has gone I wouldn't rule out some twists and turns to come.

Is anyone nervous? I'm not, which is unusual for this time of year. I had no nerves about the outcome of the season last year, just resignation of relegation but the few seasons before that I had a knot in my stomach from about six weeks before the end.

I'm pretty confident we will be fine. No idea where that comes from but iv not been unduly worried for a good number of weeks now. 3 games to go, I don't think the teams below us will pick up more points than us between now and the end. Shoot me if I'm wrong tho......

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'm going baws oot and predicting that we're safe. I can't see Stenny and Brechin taking 4 more points (5 if you factor in GD) than us over the last 3 games.

Only needs one of them to do it, to be fair. I think we still need another win.

Is anyone nervous? I'm not, which is unusual for this time of year. I had no nerves about the outcome of the season last year, just resignation of relegation but the few seasons before that I had a knot in my stomach from about six weeks before the end.

I know what you mean but I think it's more apathy than anything else tbh. Whilst yesterday's result wasn't terrible this season in general has been an absolute shit show from start to finish. In years gone by I've been a nervous wreck because we've battled hard all season to retain our Championship status, this year we have just been absolutely shite. Despite not being nervous I'm still not convinced we're safe yet.

Off the park we are making strides but on the park something just feels stale and negative, even with the change of gaffer. I'm not saying we should be punting Duffy or anything but I'd love to see us going into next season with some young whippersnapper ex pro in charge who's full of enthusiasm and fresh ideas. Jim's just dull, disconnected from the support and it doesn't particularly look like he's enjoying his time here.

6 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Only needs one of them to do it, to be fair. I think we still need another win.

Fair enough, I factored finishing 2nd bottom in, and still think we're safe.

I don't think we'll lose all 3 remaining games, which means we'll pick up at least 1 more point.  That means that Stenny or Brechin need 2 wins from their last 3 to overtake us.  More if we get even 2 draws.  I just can't see it happening.

A win next week would be smashing, right enough.

I know what you mean but I think it's more apathy than anything else tbh. Whilst yesterday's result wasn't terrible this season in general has been an absolute shit show from start to finish. In years gone by I've been a nervous wreck because we've battled hard all season to retain our Championship status, this year we have just been absolutely shite. Despite not being nervous I'm still not convinced we're safe yet.  
Off the park we are making strides but on the park something just feels stale and negative, even with the change of gaffer. I'm not saying we should be punting Duffy or anything but I'd love to see us going into next season with some young whippersnapper ex pro in charge who's full of enthusiasm and fresh ideas. Jim's just dull, disconnected from the support and it doesn't particularly look like he's enjoying his time here.

I'm not convinced we're safe yet either. Fwiw, there will only be relief from me if we stay up and no celebrations. I'm wanting this season over and done with tbh.

6 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think the idea of this sounds fair enough and you hope we end up with the Murray-esque end product but this is undoubtedly a big risk. I'd equally like to see what Duffy can do given a chance to make his own team rather than working with a lot of guys who clearly aren't mentally up to the league we are in and the challenges that come with it. Duffy knows this league fairly well and there's no doubting that we have improved under him.

I think the idea of this sounds fair enough and you hope we end up with the Murray-esque end product but this is undoubtedly a big risk. I'd equally like to see what Duffy can do given a chance to make his own team rather than working with a lot of guys who clearly aren't mentally up to the league we are in and the challenges that come with it. Duffy knows this league fairly well and there's no doubting that we have improved under him.
I'd love to see Duffy turn us into a force at this level, I really would, but I'm just not convinced. Hopefully he will prove me wrong, he was the guy I wanted appointed and he seems like a decent bloke.

I'll be honest though, as much as we have improved from the turgid shite Aitken served up, we haven't improved enough IMO. Whilst the squad is imbalanced and full of crocks, Duffy still has a decent pool of players to work with and has brought in 6 or 7 of his own since arriving. As I mentioned in my original post, there's just something there that doesn't feel right, I just can't really put my finger on what it is. Duffy just seems very unenthusiastic and the players just don't really look like they are enjoying it much either and now we have rumours of Ballantyne heading back to Montrose which would back that up.

I'm more than happy for Duffy to stay and build his own squad (if he keeps us up) and at the same time I'm more than happy to part ways amicably and seek out a new gaffer for a completely fresh start next season. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Duffy walk at the end of the season.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'll be honest though, as much as we have improved from the turgid shite Aitken served up, we haven't improved enough IMO. Whilst the squad is imbalanced and full of crocks, Duffy still has a decent pool of players to work with and has brought in 6 or 7 of his own since arriving. As I mentioned in my original post, there's just something there that doesn't feel right, I just can't really put my finger on what it is. Duffy just seems very unenthusiastic and the players just don't really look like they are enjoying it much either and now we have rumours of Ballantyne heading back to Montrose which would back that up.

I won’t disagree with anything that you say, but we still have exactly one starting eleven which genuinely works and Duffy has managed to get results even when forced to field a different team. 

While yesterday was turgid, we swapped personnel and formation at the last minute and still got a result. I’m impressed that Duffy identified that Seagall could do a job in midfield (whisper it, but he’s our most versatile player since Chissy) and fundamentally I feel that if Duffy keeps us up he deserves a chance to build a team and try and get us out of this league in our preferred direction next season.

More realistically, scrapping around in this division is our level. Our time in the championship was wonderful, but I’ve spent more time watching us trying to escape the bottom tier than I have watching us trying to survive in the championship...