Sons' sorrow

There will still be fans who feel that the price is too high, and fair play if that’s the view you take, but it’s been proven in the past that a reduction in pricing doesn’t correlate to an increase in attendance, and is therefore not a viable option. As sad as that may be, the club can’t afford to drop the prices. A situation that’s a wider issue for Scottish Football.

However for those who are able to justify the price it’s a great sign of progress that we have a board willing not only to engage with fans but to respond to their feedback.

Everyone agrees kids under 12 should get in for free - the club have responded.

At a time when families financiers are stretched (if you have young kids are they ever not...??) people find it difficult to justify a one-hit Payment like £250 - so the club respond with a structured payment schedule that makes it easier for fans to pay over the summer.

Whether people support it but buying STs or not, the club should be congratulated on their approach to these things.

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Not having a go, but what price would be the right value for you?

The announcement today doesn't affect my decision to renew but I would suggest either bumping the walk-up price to £18 or lowering the ST to £220. I don't think the current values work well together.

Appreciate the walk-ups haven't been announced for next season and I suppose it's difficult to envisage an increase in the event of relegation.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Not having a go, but what price would be the right value for you?

Under £200 anyway.  Appreciate that I have no idea of costs etc and I think football is over priced in general, so I am not having a go saying we are over pricing things etc.

Would be interesting to see what other teams in this league (and maybe even the league below) are charging.

Edit - in a few years when my son is old enough, me paying £250 and getting him in for free?  I see the value in that.  Just circumstances that put me off the £250 at the moment.

Edited by Thommo90

31 minutes ago, George Parr said:

The announcement today doesn't affect my decision to renew but I would suggest either bumping the walk-up price to £18 or lowering the ST to £220. I don't think the current values work well together.

Appreciate the walk-ups haven't been announced for next season and I suppose it's difficult to envisage an increase in the event of relegation.

It's a fair point but from the clubs point of view increasing walk up prices is bad press.

The season ticket price is a bit more difficult to get right I think. The club look at the books and see that we sell between 250-300 season tickets each year, pretty much regardless of division (unless we share it with Rangers). Dropping it to £220 means (if you sold the max 300 tickets) you'd need another 40 to sign up to make up the shortfall, if you don't get that then you're down on budget from the off (and we've all seen the effect that has had this year). I'd love to be optimistic and say with the right sales pitch we could do that and then everyone is happy, but having been involved in trying to sell things to Sons fans over the last two years, it's a tough sell and people will always have a reason not to hand over money.

1 minute ago, Thommo90 said:

Under £200 anyway.  Appreciate that I have no idea of costs etc and I think football is over priced in general, so I am not having a go saying we are over pricing things etc.

Would be interesting to see what other teams in this league (and maybe even the league below) are charging.

That's fair enough, we're all in different situations, I just like to hear what expectations are.  As above, dropping even £30 off the ST price would require around 40 extra tickets being bought, for a ST at £200 you'd need an extra 75 bodies buying tickets and I don't think we have any historic sales records that would support that sort of increase.  

I should add all of my working out is based on the adult priced ticket so not an exact science, but it gives you a rough idea of how much we're looking to take in.

Edit - in a few years when my son is old enough, me paying £250 and getting him in for free?  I see the value in that.  Just circumstances that put me off the £250 at the moment.
I have to agree. Circumstances dictate that £250 is too much for me at the moment too but probably in the grand scheme of things represents decent enough value for those who will attend every game and can afford it.
In a couple years when the wee one is old enough to appreciate It and maybe i don't need to work 90% of weekends then I will invest in a season ticket again.
For me though it will be walk ups for the foreseeable.

Was sons TV at the game yesterday?
Just on that note I genuinely think we have one of the best highlight packages in the lower leagues, credit to the guys who put it together every game and help out us poor souls unable to get to the games!

Prices held from last summer, instalment option for fans who can't afford the one off payment, Under 12's in for free and if we get relegated they'll give you a £25 hospitality voucher as compensation (which they really don't have to do). Not only that, but they've put some expected FAQs at the bottom to try and explain the decision making behind it. Excellent stuff.

All good stuff from dumbarton. Would love to see us copy the instalments + free u12s.

The Benburb surface is very uneven.  My mate has played two cup finals at amateur level there and both times has ended up injured after it.  Even when I walked across it you can tell it has a different feel to it.
If the surface is that bad and contributing to injuries, we would be better training in a public park.

If the surface is that bad and contributing to injuries, we would be better training in a public park.
Unfortunately that is what happens with "all singing all dancing" 3G pitches. Overuse means they need relaid every couple years but the cost means that clubs and organisations hold out as long as possible before relaying them. Pitches like benburbs are in use 7 days a week so it's no surprise its gubbed. There are many around the country in a similar state. Most of the pitches ran by Glasgow life are getting to the end of their life, petershill was relaid last year and probably about 2 years too late.

Unfortunately that is what happens with "all singing all dancing" 3G pitches. Overuse means they need relaid every couple years but the cost means that clubs and organisations hold out as long as possible before relaying them. Pitches like benburbs are in use 7 days a week so it's no surprise its gubbed. There are many around the country in a similar state. Most of the pitches ran by Glasgow life are getting to the end of their life, petershill was relaid last year and probably about 2 years too late.
From what I've heard Benburb's was never all singing all dancing and doesn't have the relevant shock absorbing materials underneath.

It may have absolutely f**k all to do with our injury issues over the last 2 seasons mind you, was just a thought based on what I'd heard. It would be interesting to know if any other clubs who use the pitch, or Benburb themselves, experience similar issues with injuries. If not then it would suggest it's just down to bad luck and a tendancy to sign crocks.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

Was sons TV at the game yesterday?
Just on that note I genuinely think we have one of the best highlight packages in the lower leagues, credit to the guys who put it together every game and help out us poor souls unable to get to the games!

I looked across to see last night and there was a camera there. Might have been Airdrie highlight (diamondsTV or something like that).

Meant to speak to you to see if you enjoyed the wedding on Saturday but you had disappeared at the end of the night! 

I looked across to see last night and there was a camera there. Might have been Airdrie highlight (diamondsTV or something like that).
Meant to speak to you to see if you enjoyed the wedding on Saturday but you had disappeared at the end of the night! 
I did it was a good day. Apologies, The wife ended up with a niece crashed out on her so we took her somewhere quiet before heading for the bus lol

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:
1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

I did it was a good day. Apologies, The wife ended up with a niece crashed out on her so we took her somewhere quiet before heading for the bus lol

No worries at all! :thumsup2 glad you had a good one!

IF we do manage to stay up I really hope it isn't celebrated too much. We need to remember this isn't the Championship and that this season has been an absolute failure from start to finish. By all means we should be delighted to avoid a crippling relegation should it happen but it's not any sort of achievement to be shouting about IMO.

The sooner we can get to May and bin off half our squad the better.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

IF we do manage to stay up I really hope it isn't celebrated too much. We need to remember this isn't the Championship and that this season has been an absolute failure from start to finish. By all means we should be delighted to avoid a crippling relegation should it happen but it's not any sort of achievement to be shouting about IMO.

The sooner we can get to May and bin off half our squad the better.

Agreed entirely - although almost all of the squad will have to go.

This season has been Willie Dyer and the sooner we can put it behind us the better.

Agreed entirely - although almost all of the squad will have to go.
This season has been Willie Dyer and the sooner we can put it behind us the better.
To be fair, there are a few guys I'd be looking to hold onto despite our overall shiteness.

Ballantyne, Carswell and Forbes are the main three I'd be trying to retain and I'd also like to see us try and bring Ferguson back. To a lesser extent Bobby Barr and Calum Gallagher probably deserve new deals, Gallagher isn't the best but it's hard to argue with his goal record when played up front. In terms of his playing ability I'd keep Craig Barr but we just can't afford to have so many injury prone guys around next season.

The rest can go IMO.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

To be fair, there are a few guys I'd be looking to hold onto despite our overall shiteness.

Ballantyne, Carswell and Forbes are the main three I'd be trying to retain and I'd also like to see us try and bring Ferguson back. To a lesser extent Bobby Barr and Calum Gallagher probably deserve new deals, Gallagher isn't the best but it's hard to argue with his goal record when played up front. In terms of his playing ability I'd keep Craig Barr but we just can't afford to have so many injury prone guys around next season.

The rest can go IMO.

We could maybe supply you with a few for next year don't be put off by Willie Dyer lots will be free to a good home:thumsup2