Sons' sorrow

Anyway, with relegation now averted we can turn to other matters.

Hard on the heels of Hazza and Meghan becoming Earl and Countess of Dumbarton, blow me if the old Baked Bean hasn't just made Prince Ted and Sophie the Earl and Countess of Forfar.

Isn't this interest in Scottish League Division One by the House of Windsor just marvellous ?

I'd be absolutely astonished if Kyle Turner had us on his radar. In fact, I think there's more chance of us finishing in the top 4 this season than him signing. Unless East Fife are going full-on Morton 2004, that's not happening either. Weren't Aberdeen having a look at Turner not so long ago? I think there's also current interest from Championship clubs in him.

23 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

I'd be absolutely astonished if Kyle Turner had us on his radar. In fact, I think there's more chance of us finishing in the top 4 this season than him signing. Unless East Fife are going full-on Morton 2004, that's not happening either. Weren't Aberdeen having a look at Turner not so long ago? I think there's also current interest from Championship clubs in him.

Well, if losing to a bottom of the league Stenhousemuir at home is any indication...

The only omen missing is Mr (Lilly Savage is yer maw) Joe Savage (broke a jaw).

Edited by FifeSons

This season is looking more and more like we’ll need this just to stay up. 
F9E59F09-47CD-41E9-9169-3F218FB58994.thumb.png.5947f888165dfe658b8cc8413337bad4.png
Was just about to post about how concerned I was about the Stenny v East Fife game there and noticed the last minute equaliser.

What a relief! As much as I want us to catch them and scrape a 4th place, I'd much rather be safe from the bottom.

A Stenny win tonight would have been a bit of a disaster for us imo.

It's amazing how many points the teams in the bottom half of the league are picking up just now.

Let's just try and stay in this League & build on it for next season.

Very much this.

The recent playoff push chat is giving me the fear a bit, we're far from safe. You only have to look at the league table and the form of others in the relegation mix to see it's far from a done deal that we'll stay up.

On recent form we should be fine but there's no gurantee we can keep that form up. The good form also just happened to coincide with the return of Dom Thomas, we really need to keep him fit...

Ok. For those of you who think I'm a drunken old sot who spouts a pile of shite what follows is not for you.  If, however, you are prepared to let me give you some FACTS then read on although I am merely the messenger, not the piano player.

The question of how much it would cost to "buy out" Brabco was asked (by someone I know) a few weeks past. At that stage he was quoted a minimum price - although the figure he had previously suggested to me he would be prepared to invest was UP TO three times that amount (don't tell Brabco).

An approach by him was made today with the intention of talking to the mysterious Brabco over the Easter weekend. He was told that he should "move quicker than that" as Brabco have "other fish that they want to fry".

Now, read into that last quote what you will. To me it sounds like Brabco are willing to off-load the club  at a major loss and I cannot get that well-known car-park owner Neil Rankine out of my mind.

Make of the above what you wish, but may my Doom Bar turn sour if anything I have written is false. 

61 years of watching Dumbarton may have driven me mad, but I wouldn't take the p**s out of any Sons supporter on a subject as important as this.

14 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

Ok. For those of you who think I'm a drunken old sot who spouts a pile of shite what follows is not for you.  If, however, you are prepared to let me give you some FACTS then read on although I am merely the messenger, not the piano player.

The question of how much it would cost to "buy out" Brabco was asked (by someone I know) a few weeks past. At that stage he was quoted a minimum price - although the figure he had previously suggested to me he would be prepared to invest was UP TO three times that amount (don't tell Brabco).

An approach by him was made today with the intention of talking to the mysterious Brabco over the Easter weekend. He was told that he should "move quicker than that" as Brabco have "other fish that they want to fry".

Now, read into that last quote what you will. To me it sounds like Brabco are willing to off-load the club  at a major loss and I cannot get that well-known car-park owner Neil Rankine out of my mind.

Make of the above what you wish, but may my Doom Bar turn sour if anything I have written is false. 

61 years of watching Dumbarton may have driven me mad, but I wouldn't take the p**s out of any Sons supporter on a subject as important as this.

To be honest, and I can't believe I'm writing this, I could think of worse people than Neil Rankine to buy out Brabco. If Rankine had any intention of finishing us he'd have done it when he sold us last time. That said, Brabco's silence ever since their dream move was kiboshed was always worrying. f**k knows what they have planned, but if your pal has 3 times the amount Brabco are looking for can we all chip in to get him a few pints in return for saving the club?

I think you might have just told brabco.

Buying a football club is a money pit and very few are brave enough to invest, so if your aquantence has genuine interest in putting up the readies required, kudos to him.

Please encourage your acquaintance to move quicker than those other fish are fried plz.

That is one helluva post for a dreich Wednesday night, and either there is some bootleg Doom Bar doing the rounds (geddit ?), or there is some substance to this.

If these are FACTS as you say, is the Board of Directors of DFC aware of them ?

3 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

Why would they quote a minimum price, and not just a price? I take it the mystery buyer is talking to legal or other agents acting on behalf of Brabco? The last part I highlighted sounds like something Mike Brewer from Wheeler Dealers would say!

These aren't really new facts.

We know Brabco want out and are looking for a buyer.

We know that what Brabco thought they could make through the various land deals associated with the stadium move is nothing like what they're going to have to accept to get out of dodge.

We know that they're courting potential buyers.

By and large what Brabco do right now is of little consequence to us unless they're willing to start investing money in the club. Clearly there's a major concern that whoever replaces them may not have our best interests at heart. Brabco certainly never did. 

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
11 hours ago, O said:
That is one helluva post for a dreich Wednesday night, and either there is some bootleg Doom Bar doing the rounds (geddit ?), or there is some substance to this.

If these are FACTS as you say, is the Board of Directors of DFC aware of them ?

Hello Old Scrotum, are you there ?

He's out having breakfast with Neil Rankine :P

Yes, I am here. 

I'm not sure that I want to "name names" with regard to who has been contacted about this matter. I'm a sort of "semi-agent" having been asked to find things out and keep my mate apprised. Likewise, he has been telling me how things are going (on the surface, I suspect).

The response he received - and I know not from who - and which I posted here last was to a request for an Easter meeting. Whether the suggestion that he should move before then is bluff neither of us know. He contacted me with this information yesterday to find out if I knew anything about it.

I'll keep you updated.

Damn - two hours and thirty-seven minutes still to go.  (And Neil Rankine EATS breakfast so I'm unlikely to be with him.)

Edited by Old Scrotum

12 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

These aren't really new facts.

It's a new fact that a local man with the required finances is interested in buying the club though. If he is as serious as Old Scrotum says, and has the cash Old Scrotum says, it could be absolutely huge for us.