Sons' sorrow

Shite mate. Think he needs more League 1 football to improve. We'll keep him another year and get back to you. 

Well if he’s been that poor maybe better you take him permanently.

Has he been playing right back or centre back?

28 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Well if he’s been that poor maybe better you take him permanently.

Has he been playing right back or centre back?

Right back but he's played across the back at various times. In all seriousness he's been consistently solid for us and weirdly he's moved our only good performing defender out of position in Cammy Ballantyne, and Cammy is now performing better in his new position at left back. It's worked out quite well.

Right back but he's played across the back at various times. In all seriousness he's been consistently solid for us and weirdly he's moved our only good performing defender out of position in Cammy Ballantyne, and Cammy is now performing better in his new position at left back. It's worked out quite well.

Good to hear he’s doing well. McCall said he sent him your way because he trusted Duffy so I’m glad it’s worked out for both clubs.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I actually think he has been very good overall. Cammy is brilliant but I really think he is doing a top job and it isn't to be sniffed at that against some of the better players/wingers in the last week or so he hasn't looked like he was really struggling once.

That block he got in today was absolutely superb!

Is anyone mad enough to want Brechin to actually get a result against East Fife on Tuesday?

For me, we need to really hope EF can turn their form around quickly, because they play everyone below us in their next three.

Edited by FifeSons

Is anyone mad enough to want Brechin to actually get a result against East Fife on Tuesday?
For me, we need to really hope EF can turn their form around quickly, because they play everyone below us in their next three.
It's a tough one. I think I'd be hoping for a draw on tuesday night between Brechin and East Fife.

It keeps Brechin 2 results behind us and keeps East Fife within touching difference seen as our goal difference has been in the mend recently.

FWIW I am definitely not expecting to catch East Fife. I think we have left it a few games too late. But as long as the possibility is there it gives the players that extra motivation.

I hope that all 3 teams below us somehow beat East Fife.

You do realise that if Brechin and Stranraer win their games in hand then they go above us?

I'm all for making a late push but I think realisticly we should be making it our focus to finish 6th or 7th. We are not completely out of the relegation battle yet and still require some results to go our way, most notably Brechin and Stranraer not winning their games in hand.

For us to climb up to fourth we're going to need to take 3 more points from the 27 available than Airdrie, 4 more than Montrose and probably 9 more than East Fife (who have 33 to play for). The first two may be possible - especially if those teams feel pretty safe and are already heading towards holiday mode, but I genuinely cannot see us winning three more games than East Fife between now and the end of the season. You'd fancy them to win at least 4 of their 11, meaning we'd need 7 wins from 9. Combine that with our current form and we'd be hitting the sort of form that we've not seen since the season we won the Third Division.

Staying up should be our number one target, and I was pleased to see Duffy pretty quickly shutting down the chat about a late run to the playoffs post-match. Anything above eighth will be a very decent achievement given the situation he inherited, and right now I can't see that being beyond fifth - which would be remarkable.

I hope Stranraer, Brechin City and Stenhousemuir lose (or draw if they're playing each other) every game between now and May so we don't have to start fearing about trips to Berwick and Elgin next year. When Brechin scored in injury time against us in January I was convinced we were doomed, the fact we've since gone on a great run (but remain in serious danger of ninth if the teams behind us win their games in hand) doesn't change the fact that staying up will be a huge relief.  

Edited by Ross Forbes

2 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

That's massively risky, I certainly wouldn't be backing that. Its nice to be looking up, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I think 5th is doable, if we can win at Links Park. We've left it a good few weeks too late to have a realistic chance at 4th, though.

I just don’t see the teams below us picking up more points than us between now and the end of the season. 4th place is very unlikely I admit but I’m confident that we’ll comfortably survive.

Even when we were down at the very bottom I always thought we wouldn’t stay there and never felt as worried as I did when we were off form in the championship.

I just don’t see the teams below us picking up more points than us between now and the end of the season. 4th place is very unlikely I admit but I’m confident that we’ll comfortably survive.

Even when we were down at the very bottom I always thought we wouldn’t stay there and never felt as worried as I did when we were off form in the championship.
I think what will decide it are the 2 home games against Stenny and Brechin at the end of the month.

If we win both of them then we will be safe.

10 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

As we have beaten EF three times in a row in the same season and therefore now have them to keep, can we not simply add their points total to our own? Bingo!  Ten points clear at the top.

Ah! Not so fast as we would get all your ( and Stenny’s ) points under said ( excellent) system.