Sons' sorrow

Remember when people on Facebook were upset that we binned Aitken :lol:

Since he's brought in his own players Duffy has made us decent to watch and, above all else, has the players playing with the sort of desire that Aitken couldn't manage. 

In the early season all we asked was that we saw a team who at least looked interested - Duffy has got them playing for him, and has made us entertaining. Unlike Aitken he's getting plenty out of attacking players too - Forbes, Barr and Calum Gallagher have all kicked up a gear since he game in, and I thought wee Ben Armour put in a very good shift today. 

There was a good atmosphere and a decent attendance around the place - given the horrendous atmosphere around in Aitken's final few games that was very welcome. Hopefully the entertainment today will encourage a few more folk to come back between now and the end of the season - we've got a number of massive home games coming up.

11 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Since he's brought in his own players Duffy has made us decent to watch and, above all else, has the players playing with the sort of desire that Aitken couldn't manage. 

In the early season all we asked was that we saw a team who at least looked interested - Duffy has got them playing for him, and has made us entertaining. Unlike Aitken he's getting plenty out of attacking players too - Forbes, Barr and Calum Gallagher have all kicked up a gear since he game in, and I thought wee Ben Armour put in a very good shift today. 

There was a good atmosphere and a decent attendance around the place - given the horrendous atmosphere around in Aitken's final few games that was very welcome. Hopefully the entertainment today will encourage a few more folk to come back between now and the end of the season - we've got a number of massive home games coming up.

Makes the crowd even more impressive given how awful the conditions were.

Duffy is the man.

32 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Fair play to the travelling Arbroath fans who made the atmosphere in the ground before the game pretty good.

Thats what happens when you treat football fans like adults and trust them to enjoy themselves without going OTT.

18 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Makes the crowd even more impressive given how awful the conditions were.

Duffy is the man.

Night and day stuff with the early season performances, where we would've struggled versus a fat, alcoholic Sunday league side. We were well worth the victory even before their red card and the monsoon that prevented their goalkeeper kicking the ball more than 10 yards. 

1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Fair play to the travelling Arbroath fans who made the atmosphere in the ground before the game pretty good.

Thats what happens when you treat football fans like adults and trust them to enjoy themselves without going OTT.

Indeed, some of them in the bar before the match were three sheets to the wind but it added to a good busy bar. I chatted to two of their fans in the bar - thoroughly decent guys who, like me, enjoy the friendliness between opposing fans in the lower leagues. 

Didn’t make it today but that’s us unbeaten in six which is a great run of form given the kind of season we’ve had. More impressive when you consider that run has included aways at Stranraer (always a place we’ve struggled), Airdrie and East Fife; and home games against Raith and today’s win over the league leaders.

id have hoped for 5/6 points from that in January; we’ve taken 12.

The two games against Stenny and Brechin in late March-April will be huge, so hopefully we ca keep the form decent til then. The focus should remain 8th or above but the current form is hugely encouraging.

Edited by Jordo1872

On 28/02/2019 at 13:22, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

On mine we are 2nd bottom of League 2 in season 21/22 with Duffy being emptied after a 2nd season relegation...

On 28/02/2019 at 13:24, Ross Forbes said:

We're in mid-table obscurity in mine with John Baird as our manager. Which is a great way to stop him scoring against us tbf.

On 28/02/2019 at 13:30, FifeSons said:

By 21/22 on mine we were immediately relegated from the Championship after first season promotion and have been mid-table L1 since. Our manager is Paul Sheerin.

I actually never play as us on the game, oddly. I don't like it for some reason.

Can I join in?

2 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Absolutely .

2024/25, and Dumbarton are entering their 3rd consecutive season in the top flight, and have a 8,000 capacity stadium being built. 

Finished 7th last season, and 6th the year before.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

So much this. Can I just say, a big part of our current atmosphere goes down to the young lads who have adopted us this season. They really don't care the score, and we can question their motives or allegiances, but they keep backing the team for 90 minutes and make some noise that we've not had before. Long may all of it continue.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
2024/25, and Dumbarton are entering their 3rd consecutive season in the top flight, and have a 8,000 capacity stadium being built. 
Finished 7th last season, and 6th the year before.

You're basically a Perth based Jim Duffy.

Well, my hairline seems to be receding the further I took them up the league, so you might be on to something there.

So much this. Can I just say, a big part of our current atmosphere goes down to the young lads who have adopted us this season. They really don't care the score, and we can question their motives or allegiances, but they keep backing the team for 90 minutes and make some noise that we've not had before. Long may all of it continue.
The young lads were brilliant today. They never stopped the whole game! I actually noticed more folk than normal joining in with their chants.

Long live yon drum.