Sons' sorrow

Haven't seen (heard) the drum the last couple of games.

Definitely at the last two games which I only saw on Sons TV with the volume turned down. Probably doesn't bother you so you don't notice it.

Anyhoo, doesn’t matter. Won’t be able to go as it turns out.

I read that the esteemed mental men of the SPFL are meeting today (probably in the Florida Park Bar) to discuss setting up a fifth league which will include the "colts" teams of the bigot brothers.

Not content with there being too many professional clubs already, many of whom - including our own - are struggling, the suits have come up with a cunning plan to further enhance the coffers of both halves of the Old Firm arse.  You can get away with "2nd XIs" in the leagues of the larger countries of Europe where there are enough paying punters but not here.

Non-league sides (who, remember, can already make their way up the pyramid system) have a core support. Will it increase that much  by putting them in a fifth division? I can only foresee senior clubs such as DFC losing more supporters if another club in the locale was "promoted" to the senior ranks in order to join a Stevie Aitken-type wonderland where everybody will suddenly become rich.

By saying "everybody" I've come full circle from the mental men and their Old Firm bum-chums.

Rant over. Time for a sausage roll.

I read that the esteemed mental men of the SPFL are meeting today (probably in the Florida Park Bar) to discuss setting up a fifth league which will include the "colts" teams of the bigot brothers.
Not content with there being too many professional clubs already, many of whom - including our own - are struggling, the suits have come up with a cunning plan to further enhance the coffers of both halves of the Old Firm arse.  You can get away with "2nd XIs" in the leagues of the larger countries of Europe where there are enough paying punters but not here.
Non-league sides (who, remember, can already make their way up the pyramid system) have a core support. Will it increase that much  by putting them in a fifth division? I can only foresee senior clubs such as DFC losing more supporters if another club in the locale was "promoted" to the senior ranks in order to join a Stevie Aitken-type wonderland where everybody will suddenly become rich.
By saying "everybody" I've come full circle from the mental men and their Old Firm bum-chums.
Rant over. Time for a sausage roll.
All of this a mere 2 days after the Scottish media were lauding Jake Hastie, with many of them citing his recent loan to Alloa as the key to his success.

I fear the bungs that will be offered to clubs will enough to get their approval on this. I'm hoping our representstives tell them where to ram it. Sideways.

1 hour ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Bobby Barr is very good on the latest episode of Lower-League Ramblings with Danny Denholm. I'd encourage all the good "Sons" to give it a whirl!

Good interview.

Although Denholm... that accent, eh.

Edited by FifeSons

Interesting listening to that interview with Bobby Barr.  There was a suggestion earlier in the season that the jobs with C&G were having an impact on the players performances, but it sounds like Oor Boaby doesn't see it that way.  The players work Sunday through to Thursday with Friday's off to prepare and interesting to note that Bobby felt someone like Greig Spence probably does more grafting than them working as a plumber, so the job doesn't sound too stressful on the body. Didn't get through the whole interview but will hopefully get the rest tonight.

I actually think Bobby Barr gets a harder time of it than he deserves. If he didn't support/post about Rangers I genuinely don't think you'd see as much abuse punted his way. Obviously he's not shy in saying what he thinks but he does seem to get worse reactions than most for things other players don't. I tend to agree with him, why should he need to stop following the team he supports because some arseholes from Greenock or Dumbarton don't like it?  On the pitch you'd like him more involved at times, but does anyone question his effort? I'd say over the last few months of totally shite and uninspiring performances he's probably been one of the few that you couldn't fault for effort, albeit the quality isn't always there.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I actually think Bobby Barr gets a harder time of it than he deserves. If he didn't support/post about Rangers I genuinely don't think you'd see as much abuse punted his way. Obviously he's not shy in saying what he thinks but he does seem to get worse reactions than most for things other players don't. I tend to agree with him, why should he need to stop following the team he supports because some arseholes from Greenock or Dumbarton don't like it?  On the pitch you'd like him more involved at times, but does anyone question his effort? I'd say over the last few months of totally shite and uninspiring performances he's probably been one of the few that you couldn't fault for effort, albeit the quality isn't always there.

I totally agree. He floated in and out games earlier in the season, but since Stenny in December he's been consistently good. Duffy's got him playing with a bit of confidence, he's been delivering some good balls into the box and, as you say, his effort has been top class. He covered an obscene amount of ground on Saturday and looked absolutely gubbed by the end.

I was pretty critical of him between November and December, but it was frustration more than anything. Nobody is expecting him to be in the mood he was against Morton every week, but he was barely showing flashes of that. Since then though he's really kicked on and, to be honest, I'm really developing a bit of a soft spot for him. Sure he loves a moan at officials, sure he loves giving something back to fans who (most of the time) are just shouting inane drivel, but I actually like that - so long as it doesn't put him off his game.

What's also been overlooked a bit is that he's scored seven times this season. As an outright winger that's a very decent return. In fact we haven't really had an out-and-out winger hit those kind of numbers since Mark Gilhaney (who Barr actually reminds me of quite a bit).

He might not be Dom Thomas or Ross Forbes, but he's still a good League One player who, assuming he keeps things up and we stay up, I'd be more than happy to see us keep for next season.

New caterers/events team announced - https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3955

Hopefully the start of a good working relationship, if they can get the two function suites operating on non-matchdays on a regular basis it will make a huge difference to the running of the club.  Fans should also note the last line on the article - if you have any ideas for functions or events then get them sent in - the new team have a lot of enthusiasm and both them and the club are very keen to make this successful, ideal time or fans to have their input.

New caterers/events team announced - https://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3955
Hopefully the start of a good working relationship, if they can get the two function suites operating on non-matchdays on a regular basis it will make a huge difference to the running of the club.  Fans should also note the last line on the article - if you have any ideas for functions or events then get them sent in - the new team have a lot of enthusiasm and both them and the club are very keen to make this successful, ideal time or fans to have their input.
What sort of ideas are they looking for? Match day or non match day type stuff?

I remember it being very vaguely discussed that we were considering trialing a Livingston type pre match buffet. I actually think that's a really good idea and I suppose it wouldn't do us any harm giving it a bash for a couple of games to see how it goes. It would work out a lot cheaper than hospitality and would maybe encourage more folk into the bar before a match.

Do we still hire out the function suites for weddings and birthday parties?

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

What sort of ideas are they looking for? Match day or non match day type stuff?

I remember it being very vaguely discussed that we were considering trialing a Livingston type pre match buffet. I actually think that's a really good idea and I suppose it wouldn't do us any harm giving it a bash for a couple of games to see how it goes. It would work out a lot cheaper than hospitality and would maybe encourage more folk into the bar before a match.

Do we still hire out the function suites for weddings and birthday parties?

Open to all ideas but mainly non-matchday as on match days they will likely be busy with hospitality.  I agree the Livi buffet idea is good (especially if we're open to away fans) but there's something telling me that we looked at this before and it wasn't entirely workable - that may have changed though so I'll add to the list of suggestions!

We still hire out the suites but the issue previously was that we didn't really have anyone on the case trying to sell it every week (no slight on anyone at the club, too many jobs and not enough hands).  The new team are holding a Wedding Show event on Sunday to try and showcase what can be offered for weddings, event details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/621247694997846/.  Function suites can be used for anything though - parties, conferences, corporate events, Rock Paper Scissor Championships, anything really.

Issue with weddings is that a lot of people want to get married on a Saturday, I guess.

Unless they could cut some deal that all wedding guests get a half price ticket into the game, and in return all season ticket holders get an invite to the reception at night? 

Bride gets to be the match mascot?

This is growing on me...

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Issue with weddings is that a lot of people want to get married on a Saturday, I guess.

Unless they could cut some deal that all wedding guests get a half price ticket into the game, and in return all season ticket holders get an invite to the reception at night? 

Bride gets to be the match mascot?

This is growing on me...

Whilst that is obviously a problem, there are many more Saturdays available for weddings than ones that aren't.  During the summer (the time when most want to get married) we have a circa 8 week period with no games and no income, if we can get 1 or 2 weddings booked in that time it will go a long way (should note here that due to upcoming rule changes we will need to pay players over the course of the summer when we previously have not had to do so).  Previously we've had Brabco tell us that moving stadium would mean 52 weddings a year, whilst we all know that is fantasy, there is still scope for us to use it for weddings more than we do and weddings are where the "big" money is.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I will, regarding the bar anyway. Malt whisky should always be available and they shouldn't even stock, bar less sell, Kopparberg "cider". 

20 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

I will, regarding the bar anyway. Malt whisky should always be available and they shouldn't even stock, bar less sell, Kopparberg "cider". 

Good man. FWIW, I know the caterers are keen to hear what folk think should be stocked. We ultimately want folk choosing the stadium over the pub on Saturdays so if enough people want Malt then I'm sure they'll look at it.