Sons' sorrow

We're all now very aware of our current situation and why we're here though, fundraising is the only way out of this hole. I would argue that fundraisers should be arranged every season, not just because it raises funds but because it helps build a community feel at the club.
Things are being put in place to help with long term sustainability, new caterers who appear very keen to utilise the function suites to their full potential for example, but right now fans are being asked to help get the club through this and if such a situation arises again then they'll be asked again.  I'm not sure who else we can expect to keep the club alive.
Of course fund raising is pretty much the only way to get out the hole we are currently in but it's not a long term solution. If a similar situation arises in the future then it will be the same, I think most folk accept that. I also agree that fundraising should happen every season but it shouldn't be what we depend on just to scrape by, that's not sustainable. I took from OK's post that he was referring to the long term rather than the short term, or when sticky situations arise.

FWIW no one should take this as me being anti fundraising, far from it. I'd just like to see the club being in a position where fund raising is a means to boost the coffers rather than pay the overdue leccy bills if you catch my drift.

Regarding funding and sustainability etc.

Is there a particular reason for the lack of sponsor signs located around the stadium? I know the amount of signs/boards have increased a fair bit over the last few seasons but it is nothing in comparison to the majority of other grounds in Scotland. Most other grounds like Alloa or the upcoming Stair Park have the perimeter of the pitch covered with advertising to the point where you couldn't fit another one in. We on the other hand have so much free space.

Is this down to a lack of club efforts or is it more to do with the lack of businesses in the area?

These boards that are displayed at other clubs must provided a sizeable income each season.

For example... last home game. Not an advertisement in sight

Michael Paton breaks into the box 6

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Of course fund raising is pretty much the only way to get out the hole we are currently in but it's not a long term solution. If a similar situation arises in the future then it will be the same, I think most folk accept that. I also agree that fundraising should happen every season but it shouldn't be what we depend on just to scrape by, that's not sustainable. I took from OK's post that he was referring to the long term rather than the short term, or when sticky situations arise.

FWIW no one should take this as me being anti fundraising, far from it. I'd just like to see the club being in a position where fund raising is a means to boost the coffers rather than pay the overdue leccy bills if you catch my drift.

Fair enough, it was more OKIs line of the hardcore fan base being asked to step up - we're always going to be asked to step up and that's the way it should be IMO.

2 minutes ago, super-son said:

Regarding funding and sustainability etc.

Is there a particular reason for the lack of sponsor signs located around the stadium? I know the amount of signs/boards have increased a fair bit over the last few seasons but it is nothing in comparison to the majority of other grounds in Scotland. Most other grounds like Alloa or the upcoming Stair Park have the perimeter of the pitch covered with advertising to the point where you couldn't fit another one in. We on the other hand have so much free space.

Is this down to a lack of club efforts or is it more to do with the lack of businesses in the area?

These boards that are displayed at other clubs must provided a sizeable income each season.

For example... last home game. Not an advertisement in sight

Michael Paton breaks into the box 6

Think we've just moved them all to behind the goals:

Montrose-57-26.01.19.jpg&mode=gallery

Suppose that's where goals are scored and as such more photos/action shots of behind the goals will appear in highlights etc. hence better exposure for the sponsor.  I think the boards can look a bit tacky at times tbh but understand they're essential income for the club.

34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Fair enough, it was more OKIs line of the hardcore fan base being asked to step up - we're always going to be asked to step up and that's the way it should be IMO.

Suppose that's where goals are scored and as such more photos/action shots of behind the goals will appear in highlights etc. hence better exposure for the sponsor.  I think the boards can look a bit tacky at times tbh but understand they're essential income for the club.

I agree about the tacky part but my point is that other cubs seems to have the boards on all sides of the park and they look as though they have 10x more sponsor boards than ourselves.

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yup. If you go back a decade or so we had a similar number up the side of the pitch, and nothing behind the goal. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOaNLnlp2Og

6 minutes ago, super-son said:

I agree about the tacky part but my point is that other cubs seems to have the boards on all sides of the park and they look as though they have 10x more sponsor boards than ourselves.

Could be that other clubs haven't taken down old boards thus giving the illusion that they have more sponsors than they're being paid for. 

I can assure it's not through lack of effort from the club - effort is just not something we lack any more.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This.   No organisation can thrive or even survive with a very limited customer or support base.  A way has to be somehow found to reverse the antipathy in the local public to supporting DFC, although we are now experiencing an unfortunate double whammy of erstwhile 'supporters' now proving to be anything but and also veery poor PR down the years.

35 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Could be that other clubs haven't taken down old boards thus giving the illusion that they have more sponsors than they're being paid for. 

I can assure it's not through lack of effort from the club - effort is just not something we lack any more.

That thought did cross my mind as well.

I didn't really think that it was a lack of effort. I know the club and trust have been working flat out to get as much money in to the club as possible over the past few seasons.

I was speaking to a chap in the rub-a-dub (apologies to those offended) who had been watching Sons from the mid-70s - he was enthusiastic about the 1976 cup run - but gave up at the end of last season content that he had "seen Dumbarton in a cup final".

He obviously still has an interest by the questions he was asking about our current plight, but it is sad that he feels that there is nothing to entice him back. If I meet up with him again I'll do my best to drag him to the next home game (whichever that may be) and hopefully stir that latent support.

No criticism of Aitken or the Alloa fiasco - just somebody who appears to think nothing is going to get better for whatever reason.

44 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

No criticism of Aitken or the Alloa fiasco - just somebody who appears to think nothing is going to get better for whatever reason.

That’s the issue though. If people stay away, it isn’t going to get better. If we were getting 1,500 home fans every week, then we might have the team the other 1,000 currently staying away, moan about us not having.

Edited by FifeSons

45 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Achin’ in this morning’s Sun. Gizza job.....

IMG_2398.jpg

:lol:

McCrorie was smashing in midfield at Easter Road, which makes it all the stranger that Aitken moved him to right-back for the rest of the campaign...

Also, does anyone know if he's pals with Derek McInnes? He's not mentioned it.

Achin’ in this morning’s Sun. Gizza job.....
IMG_2398.thumb.jpg.b9fa2d48f894d0d6c4582fba5723a983.jpg
WOT.

He only started getting a game for us after Docherty heidered Carswell and was banished to the bench (a situation that was terribly handled by Aitken in the end up). He started his first match for us on the 18th of March, racking up a grand total of 23 minutes game time prior to that. He also played in midfield for Ayr.

I'm gobsmacked he's trying to take credit for the development of Ross McCrorie. The man has no shame.