Sons' sorrow

Difficult one, Duffy's experienced, likeable and has dealt a shitty hand but the stigma of taking a team down is usually followed by a parting of ways.

I do think Duffy comes across as a likeable guy in general, and I always joked about him being the soundest gaffer in Scottish football whilst at Morton, but I dunno, I'm really struggling to warm to him as Dumbarton manager. I can't quite put my finger on why, he just seems to kinda go from game to game without ever really seeming fully interested. His interviews are always pretty run of the mill, there's almost a sense of a lack of enthusiasm at times. Maybe that's just me, but I'd be lying if I said he completely fills me with confidence and he hasn't really done all that much to connect with the support in terms of public appearances/meet the manager etc.
I think there's been more endeavor under Duffy. Under him we look like we want to win, but a dodgy defence has let us down. Some of the performances under Aitken were abysmal, with the team looking utterly disinterested. The first home game this season was the worst I've seen them - the team looked like they'd been on the bevvy till 3am the night before. That hasn't happened under Duffy so I reckon there's been improvements there. 
Hmm, that's debateable for me. Whilst we probably look slightly better going forward I'm not convinced it's enough. We have had some real shocking performances under Duffy as well and there's been games where I've questioned the players desire to win or even look like they want to be on the park. Forfar at home springs to mind.

Hopefully we'll see a turnaround in the coming weeks and Duffy can keep us up and prove his worth next season.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Defence has been a problem all season for sure, but defending starts further forward than the back four/five.

Far, far too often this season (and last for that matter) opposition midfield runners have run riot through our mid line, but as long as everyone is fixated with what the likes of Willie Dyer is up to then they'll continue to avoid scrutiny.

You've missed all the criticism that Hutton gets? You've missed the criticism of our wingers being useless? You've missed even the criticism of Ross Forbes who doesn't offer us enough? Aye, Dyer gets it bad but I don't think our midfield have been exempt there either.

16 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

You've missed all the criticism that Hutton gets? You've missed the criticism of our wingers being useless? You've missed even the criticism of Ross Forbes who doesn't offer us enough? Aye, Dyer gets it bad but I don't think our midfield have been exempt there either.

Looking at it on a very basic level we have all sorts of problems. We have forwards who aren't clinical enough, defenders who have a habit of making costly mistakes and midfielders who don't seem to contribute much at either end. Oh aye, and we have goalkeepers who can't catch or kick footballs with any consistency. 

That's very sweeping, and harsh on a few, but the basic logic pretty much explains why we are where we are.

No, I haven't missed any of it, but I'll sum it up thus. The 'goals for' table is taken as a reflection of how the forwards are performing; ditto the 'goals against' for the keeper and defence. No such column exists for midfielders, and ours should be thankful for that.

They've had a collective easier time on here than many others, despite the fact that most of the current lot often look as if they are towing a caravan. And dispiritingly in my view it was the one area of the team left untouched in the recent window.

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

No, I haven't missed any of it, but I'll sum it up thus. The 'goals for' table is taken as a reflection of how the forwards are performing; ditto the 'goals against' for the keeper and defence. No such column exists for midfielders, and ours should be thankful for that.

They've had a collective easier time on here than many others, despite the fact that most of the current lot often look as if they are towing a caravan. And dispiritingly in my view it was the one area of the team left untouched in the recent window.

I respectfully disagree with you, our midfield has taken a lot of criticism and I think most Sons fans would agree that adding to centre midfield was probably required in January but sadly players retiring, moving on or being crippled meant we had to use the small resources we had to fill other areas. 

I should add though when I was discussing our goals against column earlier I wasn't solely just criticising the 4 at the back and the keeper, I agree our midfield is a big reason we're so good at losing goals (Turner's goal for Stranraer at the Rock being a prime example), but I do think having Mango in the last line of defence would've helped reduce that goals against column ever so slightly.

2 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Need Arbroath to do us a big favour tonight. Hopefully Stranraer pick up a few reds and injuries in the process.

More importantly we need to do ourselves a big favour and actually start winning some matches. I notice we're now over 2 months without a win -  shambolic form.

42 minutes ago, George Parr said:

More importantly we need to do ourselves a big favour and actually start winning some matches. I notice we're now over 2 months without a win -  shambolic form.

Yep, and a lot of those games were much more winnable than the ones coming up.

I see you are bottom.  Really hope you turn it around. Would hate to see what happened to us happeneing to yourselves. 

All the good work of years in the championship unravelling so quickly.

It’s a tough habit to get out of when you’re on a losing streak. 

The difference between us and being where we are is turning one of our draws into a victory and one of the defeats into a draw. Something that should have been doable. But hasn't been done.

Far too often for me the opposition players have looked like they want to win a game more than we do. A combination of many many things has contributed towards our downfall and if we can turn some of them around then we will have a chance. For me though the biggest thing we need is motivation and confidence throughout the team. It is there in flashes but needs to be there throughout the team.

Hopefully with Mango coming back in and the additions of Melingui and Thomas (2 players who seem very passionate imo) that may rub off on some of the others. Players like Hutton and Forbes will always look like they don't care much but if they are putting in the performances that won't matter to me.