Sons' sorrow

Aye well, we’ve royally fucked it this season.

It’s been bad luck after bad luck.

Where do folks think we would have finished if we didn’t have any injury issues ?.
Hard to say really, as no doubt Aitken would have fucked it with a full squad, but I reckon if Duffy had NO injury worries since he arrived, the sons would probably be duking it out with Airdrie ATM in that kind of area of the table.

Where do folks think we would have finished if we didn’t have any injury issues ?.
Hard to say really, as no doubt Aitken would have fucked it with a full squad, but I reckon if Duffy had NO injury worries since he arrived, the sons would probably be duking it out with Airdrie ATM in that kind of area of the table.
It's impossible to say really. I'm not convinced we've been that much better under Duffy than we were under Aitken, although he is working with someone elses team which was ravaged by injury. A lot of our fans (myself included) thought Aitken should've been doing better despite the injuries so it would be a tad hypocritical of us to afford Duffy more sympathy in that regard. Aitken has to take the responsibility for signing the team of crocks mind you.

Here's something for us to think about... should Duffy take us down to League 2 do we want him to continue as manager? For me it's a no (there are a few things that have left me less than convinced so far) but I'm interested to hear what others think.

How much better would we be without injuries?

I think we'd have lost far fewer goals if Mango had been fit all year. Would that have made a huge difference? Even when he was fit, Loy wasn't playing well. Our midfield wasnt creating much. We weren't a good team at any point this season.

We might have been in a better position purely down to having Mango there to avoid some of the closer losses but we probably wouldn't have been that much better.

32 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It's impossible to say really. I'm not convinced we've been that much better under Duffy than we were under Aitken, although he is working with someone elses team which was ravaged by injury. A lot of our fans (myself included) thought Aitken should've been doing better despite the injuries so it would be a tad hypocritical of us to afford Duffy more sympathy in that regard. Aitken has to take the responsibility for signing the team of crocks mind you.

Here's something for us to think about... should Duffy take us down to League 2 do we want him to continue as manager? For me it's a no (there are a few things that have left me less than convinced so far) but I'm interested to hear what others think.

If Duffy was still in contract I certainly wouldn't be spending money to release him. I would be more than happy to give Duffy the chance to build his own squad and have a crack at it as I think we could do alot worse than Duffy. 

If he was out of contract which I believe that he is, I would definitely be inviting applications to see what else is available.

1 hour ago, RGD89 said:

38 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:
1 hour ago, RGD89 said:

Yeh I'd maybe go along with this. Somewhere between Airdrie and Stranraer in the relatively comfortable disappointment of mid-table obscurity. Aitken built a horribly lop-sided squad, but having a fully fit Mango, Loy and even Ballantyne (given how much early football he missed) would probably have seen us record a few more victories - although I reckon those would've been picked up in the early season games with Brechin and Stenny.

35 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Nope for me too. I don't think he'd want to stay on either to be honest. I kind of get the feeling that he didn't realise how bad a way we were in when he arrived, and would probably be pretty keen to absolve himself of any blame if we were to drop down.

If we go down then a hungry older-pro with seriously high standards and a real desire to make a name for himself (like Muzz with us or, given the League, Paul Hartley at Alloa, but not him now) would be my preferred option. If we stay up then I'm happy to trust Duffy to build a more suitable squad than Aitken managed.

24 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

A whole day of watching presentations at Uni, followed by watching Dumbarton in the cold.

Marvellous. Can't wait.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

How much better would we be without injuries?

I think we'd have lost far fewer goals if Mango had been fit all year. Would that have made a huge difference? Even when he was fit, Loy wasn't playing well. Our midfield wasnt creating much. We weren't a good team at any point this season.

We might have been in a better position purely down to having Mango there to avoid some of the closer losses but we probably wouldn't have been that much better.

It might feel like we've not created much, but we've scored 1 more goal than the team sitting 5th and we're only 3 goals behind the team in 4th (where we wanted to be), whilst we've conceded 5 more goals than Montrose  and 11 more than East Fife. Airdrie have scored the same amount of goals as us yet have amassed 10 more points by conceding 10 less goals. Defending has been our issue all season, I'm not sure a fit Mango would have solved all of our problems but I'm confident we'd be at least a few points better off with him in the team.

Difficult one, Duffy's experienced, likeable and has dealt a shitty hand but the stigma of taking a team down is usually followed by a parting of ways.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think there's been more endeavor under Duffy. Under him we look like we want to win, but a dodgy defence has let us down. Some of the performances under Aitken were abysmal, with the team looking utterly disinterested. The first home game this season was the worst I've seen them - the team looked like they'd been on the bevvy till 3am the night before. That hasn't happened under Duffy so I reckon there's been improvements there. 

Defending has been our issue all season and I think the main problem is the GK. We havnt really had one all season. Adam has been crap, Smith very meh, McGowan

Crap even as back up now we have Brennan sitting on the bench. A settled GK that was half decent would've solved half our problems

Defence has been a problem all season for sure, but defending starts further forward than the back four/five.

Far, far too often this season (and last for that matter) opposition midfield runners have run riot through our mid line, but as long as everyone is fixated with what the likes of Willie Dyer is up to then they'll continue to avoid scrutiny.