Sons' sorrow

4 hours ago, Sons FC said:

I don't know if it was Davie RockMusic had in mind - but what a legend!! A Dumbarton great.

I think it is him. The face on the photo does seem to be what I remember, although the hair seems very different. Unless anyone else can suggest otherwise I'll go with Floydy being the character I remember all those years ago.

One of the great things about local football and small crowds is that these types of characters get heard and are recognised. That's totally lost in larger scale football. I know some can be irritated by the likes of old Fraser (c'mon now Sons) but I enjoy listening to these guys, even the youngsters with the drum. Whatever happened to the guy that used to shout, " c'mon the dumbarteeeeeooooon"?

Edited by RockMusic

He was in the paper bemoaning Craig Barr's lack of minutes and since then he's been on the park for a grand total of about 30 seconds. He also touched on Thomas and Boris not being on the same wavelength in the first half on Saturday so it would be handy to help the new guys gel as well.

20190209_081713.jpg

elonmuskjoerogansmoking0709a.jpg

Cheers Wilf, I think that is him. The name 'Floydy' does fit my memory and what looks like slightly skelly eyes ( no doubt due to his condition) seems to ring a bell also. The man I remember had unkempt longer, maybe shoulder length hair, but that was not uncommon in 79. The above photo is from the 80s when short, neater hairstyles were common. The only thing is, the hair in the above photo is very dark and I seem to remember the guy l mentioned having fair/ grey hair. But that's not certain - I often get memory details wrong. I remember being in the small end of the ground and it was very busy, but no-one sang till our friend walked in. He just shouted, "Dumbarton" loudly and the entire end joined in. He never sang complete songs - just started them off. I'm sure it must be him as I don't recall more than one "cheerleader" at the time. Apologies to all who knew him for insinuating he was an alcoholic. Maybe at the age of 11 I just thought everyone was. Where did you get the photo?

Yeah he was blonde and long haired and tbh a bit crazy but I’m sure he’s the guy you were enquiring about. The photo was on the Facebook Boagheid group.

This time 5 years ago living legend Ian Murray had just guided us to the Scottish Cup quarter finals and and we were unbeaten in 2014.

A Paul McGinn and Ian Murray statue should be erected to commemorate the two greatest men to ever represent this fine town.
And five years on, we're bottom of league one. Screenshot_20190209-165131_Score%20Centre.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

As it stands we're officially bottom of the league.

Maybe this will act as a bit of a wake-up call to some that there is a very real chance we'll be spending next season in League Two.

Bet it doesn't though. 

Grim.

Maybe this will act as a bit of a wake-up call to some that there is a very real chance we'll be spending next season in League Two.
Bet it doesn't though. 
Grim.
Staying up is going to require that we stop conceding cheap, avoidable goals. To do that it would help if we play people in defensive positions they are accustomed to. Not to mention fielding only one wide player and allowing the midfield to tackle opponents.

Do that and we'll be fine.

2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Bet it doesn't though. 

Grim.

Just indicative of the season we've been having. Going bottom of the league without even kicking a ball.

Not what we needed today, to say the least.
How many points do people reckon we’ll need to stay up? I think we’re looking at needing at least five, but probably six, more wins.

Five wins from 23 so far. It's difficult to see how we'll win the same amount in the last 13 games of the season. I'd be looking at the home games against Stenny, Brechin and Stranraer as must win. We should be looking at beating Airdrie too but they're the only games I can see us winning in the run in. Still, with the logic of some folk a year ago, we might win more games in league 2!

56 minutes ago, microdave said:

Five wins from 23 so far. It's difficult to see how we'll win the same amount in the last 13 games of the season. I'd be looking at the home games against Stenny, Brechin and Stranraer as must win. We should be looking at beating Airdrie too but they're the only games I can see us winning in the run in. Still, with the logic of some folk a year ago, we might win more games in league 2!

I agree, it’s hard to see where the wins are coming from, but I think it’s what we’ll need.