Sons' sorrow

10 hours ago, RockMusic said:

Aherm! What did you say about me mentioning music on this thread??? Seems it's one rule for the oldies and another for the newbies.

There's no rule Rocky - if you want to mention music - mention music.

With us having a free week surely Duffy will be organising some form of bounce game this weekend.

He was in the paper bemoaning Craig Barr's lack of minutes and since then he's been on the park for a grand total of about 30 seconds. He also touched on Thomas and Boris not being on the same wavelength in the first half on Saturday so it would be handy to help the new guys gel as well.

This is our 2nd free week in the last month so it would make sense for us to have something organised.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

With us having a free week surely Duffy will be organising some form of bounce game this weekend.

He was in the paper bemoaning Craig Barr's lack of minutes and since then he's been on the park for a grand total of about 30 seconds. He also touched on Thomas and Boris not being on the same wavelength in the first half on Saturday so it would be handy to help the new guys gel as well.

This is our 2nd free week in the last month so it would make sense for us to have something organised.

Are 1st Dumbarton BB free?  I'm confident we could restrict them to 1 goal.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I just wish we could get a settled starting eleven. If we can manage that for the rest of the season then it will give us half a chance of staying up.

It feels like years since we have had that.

On 05/02/2019 at 13:22, Old Scrotum said:

The last record Steve Wright played before Challenger lifted-off was the theme tune to a well-known 1960s Supermarionation series which began with the words "I'd like to be an astronaut on Fireball XL5".

Many is the time we would gather round the steam radio on a Saturday night and listen to Dick Barton special agent having watched a Dumbarton game earlier that day. A cup of horliicks and a piece of bread with lard. Great times. The present generation don’t know they are living.

If only Charlie Bootland was still playing..

On 2/5/2019 at 10:26, RGD89 said:

Ian Dobbins....

Possibly the worst header of the ball I’ve ever seen.

For someone of his height he was absolutely woeful in the air.

Last I heard he was at Arbroath that was back in 2010.

I know a sizeable chunk of our support are elderlies, but I didn't think I'd hear the shout: " heed like a thrupenny bit" shouted out, as I did at the last home game.

I know a sizeable chunk of our support are elderlies, but I didn't think I'd hear the shout: " heed like a thrupenny bit" shouted out, as I did at the last home game.

I remember back in my ball boy days when he was playing for us 95% of the time he would go up to header a ball clear, he would shut his eyes and it would hit his shoulder and bounce out for a throw in or a corner. [emoji23][emoji23].

14 hours ago, RockMusic said:

At games I quite often shout out, "Thrupenny heid," or even, "Dig a hole and bury 'im".

The old ones are the best.

Help me out here older Sons. When I was a kid and used to go to Boghead around 1979-80 there was a "cheerleading" type fan who used to start the songs, and a good few youngsters idolised him. He was a raging alcoholic and I seem to remember his name was Gullie, or something similar. Can anyone shed any light on this character?

9 hours ago, rockson said:

At games I quite often shout out, "Thrupenny heid," or even, "Dig a hole and bury 'im".

The old ones are the best.

Long time since I've heard the description "tanner ba' player",  even though Elsie did play wi' a lot of baws.

Do on-field instructions still include "get the jersey"?

Edited by Old Scrotum

Help me out here older Sons. When I was a kid and used to go to Boghead around 1979-80 there was a "cheerleading" type fan who used to start the songs, and a good few youngsters idolised him. He was a raging alcoholic and I seem to remember his name was Gullie, or something similar. Can anyone shed any light on this character?

I wonder if you might be thinking of David Floyd “Floydy”. He used to often start the singing off in the period you mention. If so, his problem wasn’t drink but rather a central nervous system condition (perhaps MND). Several of the family had the same condition. He ended up in a wheelchair but still followed his beloved Sons. IMG_0662.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This time 5 years ago living legend Ian Murray had just guided us to the Scottish Cup quarter finals and and we were unbeaten in 2014.

A Paul McGinn and Ian Murray statue should be erected to commemorate the two greatest men to ever represent this fine town.

Best sons team in my lifetime I think.

5 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I wonder if you might be thinking of David Floyd “Floydy”. He used to often start the singing off in the period you mention. If so, his problem wasn’t drink but rather a central nervous system condition (perhaps MND). Several of the family had the same condition. He ended up in a wheelchair but still followed his beloved Sons. IMG_0662.jpg

Cheers Wilf, I think that is him. The name 'Floydy' does fit my memory and what looks like slightly skelly eyes ( no doubt due to his condition) seems to ring a bell also. The man I remember had unkempt longer, maybe shoulder length hair, but that was not uncommon in 79. The above photo is from the 80s when short, neater hairstyles were common. The only thing is, the hair in the above photo is very dark and I seem to remember the guy l mentioned having fair/ grey hair. But that's not certain - I often get memory details wrong. I remember being in the small end of the ground and it was very busy, but no-one sang till our friend walked in. He just shouted, "Dumbarton" loudly and the entire end joined in. He never sang complete songs - just started them off. I'm sure it must be him as I don't recall more than one "cheerleader" at the time. Apologies to all who knew him for insinuating he was an alcoholic. Maybe at the age of 11 I just thought everyone was. Where did you get the photo?