Sons' sorrow

I really don't see the issue with us posting about ex players birthdays, whether they played 1 minute for us or 150 games. If that's something that gets your back up about the club then it says a lot more about you than anything else. We really have some strange fans. Tbf id love for our Twitter guy to find the most obscure guy that's played the least amount of minutes for us and put the biggest birthday celebration post on and sit back and watch the meltdown.
I do find it funny that the guy(or gal) that moans on Twitter each birthday post, has no picture or identification on his Twitter handle!

27 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:
1 hour ago, FifeSons said:
Stevie Bonar was much closer to the Flannery and Brown category than the Isaac English category.

You think? Tom Brown then.

Over 150 league appearances in six years and part of a promotion winning side. I’d say so.

Thought I’d delve into the archives to see if our record at Stranraer really is that bad. The answer is a resounding yes.

We’ve lost all eight of our previous visits (league and cup). Our last victory at Stair Park was 1st February 2003, towards the end of the David Winnie era, thanks to goals from Gary McCutcheon and Neil Scally.

For the win prior to that, or in fact, anything other than a defeat, you have to go all the way back to 10th April 1991 (before I even existed).

Since 1988, our record at Stair Park in all competitions reads:

P19 W2 D3 L14

You could argue some of those were diddy cup matches, which (barring last season) we’ve always had a terrible record in anyway. But still, is there another side who have consistently been in L1/L2 over the last 30 years that we have a worse away record against?

ETA: Amusingly, starting for Stranraer in the famous 2003 victory was one Stephen Aitken. 

The home side’s squad that day actually featured five others who all played for us during their careers. I’d be interested to see if anyone could name them all.

Edited by FifeSons

Thought I’d delve into the archives to see if our record at Stranraer really is that bad. The answer is a resounding yes.
We’ve lost all eight of our previous visits (league and cup). Our last victory at Stair Park was 1st February 2003, towards the end of the David Winnie era, thanks to goals from Gary McCutcheon and Neil Scally.
For the win prior to that, or in fact, anything other than a defeat, you have to go all the way back to 10th April 1991 (before I even existed).
P19 W2 D3 L14
You could argue some of those were diddy cup matches, which (barring last season) we’ve always had a terrible record in anyway. But still, is there another side who have consistently been in L1/L2 over the last 30 years that we have a worse away record against?
ETA: Amusingly, starting for Stranraer in the famous 2003 victory was one Stephen Aitken. 
The home side’s squad that day actually featured five others who all played for us during their careers. I’d be interested to see if anyone could name them all.

I've been there a fair few times over the years and never seen a win. It actually got to a point I just body swerved Stranraer away because it was a c**t of a journey and a guaranteed defeat, and back then I made an effort to get to as many games as I could.

I never realised just quite how bad our record was at Stair Park. When you combine that with our current away form and form in general there can only be one outcome... Stranraer 0 - 5 Dumbarton.

P19 W2 D3 L14

That was the day the space shuttle exploded on take off and David Sneddon was number one in the singles chart. You've also missed a player out. But you can be forgiven as he didn't play that many games for us and it was before you were born.

31 minutes ago, microdave said:
8 hours ago, FifeSons said:
P19 W2 D3 L14

That was the day the space shuttle exploded on take off and David Sneddon was number one in the singles chart. You've also missed a player out. But you can be forgiven as he didn't play that many games for us and it was before you were born.

Ah, Harry Curran? Crazy to think we haven’t won there in quite a few of our fans’ lifetimes.

48 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I've been there a fair few times over the years and never seen a win. It actually got to a point I just body swerved Stranraer away because it was a c**t of a journey and a guaranteed defeat, and back then I made an effort to get to as many games as I could.

I never realised just quite how bad our record was at Stair Park. When you combine that with our current away form and form in general there can only be one outcome... Stranraer 0 - 5 Dumbarton.

That should be the tag for the match thread.

I’ve only been once, which was actually the last time we had back-to-back relegations. I thought about coming up for this one, then realised that would be completely mental given there’s every chance it’ll be called off.

Edited by FifeSons

3 hours ago, microdave said:
11 hours ago, FifeSons said:

The last record Steve Wright played before Challenger lifted-off was the theme tune to a well-known 1960s Supermarionation series which began with the words "I'd like to be an astronaut on Fireball XL5".

1 hour ago, Old Scrotum said:

The last record Steve Wright played before Challenger lifted-off was the theme tune to a well-known 1960s Supermarionation series which began with the words "I'd like to be an astronaut on Fireball XL5".

Oh OS! "I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive".

8 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

Aherm! What did you say about me mentioning music on this thread??? Seems it's one rule for the oldies and another for the newbies.