Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

Anyone logging on hoping for signings to see Sons’ sorrow is ‘hot’ will be sorely disappointed :lol:

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:

It took me reading through 6 pages to find this out........

Save yourself the time and just check the OS before coming here.  If there's no news on the OS and this thread is "hot", you'll know we're just discussing goalkeepers, prices or drums and you can skip to the last page :P

Value for money is probably the wrong way of looking at it.

This season's season ticket was £250. If a fan had £250 sitting in their bank account doing nothing and was going to go to a decent number of home games then it's probably a no brainer. The fan gets their seat. The club gets £250 up front. Whether or not that fan will attend all 18 home league games isnt really an issue and I'd doubt if the level of saving over PAYG would be a concern.

The issue is whether or not fans have the money to spend on a season ticket. Most employees have seen wage stagnation, or even regression, for a decade now.  Everybody has competing demands on their finances. Season ticket costs come at a time when holiday spending is a consideration and when back to school clothing is on the horizon. I still wouldn't class that as value for money. I'd class that more as prioritising other areas ahead of the football. The relative value of a season ticket only becomes an issue when people are having to pick between a season ticket or something else.  If you dont think that you'll make every game on the season ticket then value becomes a consideration but for me it's still influenced more by rationalising what priority you want to spend your money on.

There are probably very few fans who have made a decision purely on the relative value for money that a season ticket offers - if you're going to attend the majority of games and have the money that you can spend in a lump sum payment then are you really going to not renew a season ticket because paying up front only saves you £30? Course not. For most it's not about value but rather the general cost of living and factoring football into yet another drain on wages.

Anybody seen the forecast for the next few days?
Wondering if the game on Saturday would potentially be in doubt. It was -4 when I was driving to work and it hasnt been much above freezing all day.

I’d certainly take a postponement as it stands.

I know the issue of Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday etc would rear it’s head at a later date, but by then we might actually have enough players to field 11 from the start.

Others will disagree I’m sure, with the issue of hospitality ‘hot’ I appreciate, but squad quality and depth has to be paramount and further time to achieve that before our next game would be welcome.

3 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I’d certainly take a postponement as it stands.

I know the issue of Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday etc would rear it’s head at a later date, but by then we might actually have enough players to field 11 from the start.

Others will disagree I’m sure, with the issue of hospitality ‘hot’ I appreciate, but squad quality and depth has to be paramount and further time to achieve that before our next game would be welcome.

It's not even just hospitality that's really the issue here, it's any income at all.  If Saturday's game is off then we'll go from 5th January to 2nd March without a home game (i.e. £0 income). Even with Saturday's game going ahead I would imagine we'll still struggle to pay the wages of players.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's not even just hospitality that's really the issue here, it's any income at all.  If Saturday's game is off then we'll go from 5th January to 2nd March without a home game (i.e. £0 income). Even with Saturday's game going ahead I would imagine we'll still struggle to pay the wages of players.

Just as well we don't have many players.

Value for money is probably the wrong way of looking at it.
This season's season ticket was £250. If a fan had £250 sitting in their bank account doing nothing and was going to go to a decent number of home games then it's probably a no brainer. The fan gets their seat. The club gets £250 up front. Whether or not that fan will attend all 18 home league games isnt really an issue and I'd doubt if the level of saving over PAYG would be a concern.
The issue is whether or not fans have the money to spend on a season ticket. Most employees have seen wage stagnation, or even regression, for a decade now.  Everybody has competing demands on their finances. Season ticket costs come at a time when holiday spending is a consideration and when back to school clothing is on the horizon. I still wouldn't class that as value for money. I'd class that more as prioritising other areas ahead of the football. The relative value of a season ticket only becomes an issue when people are having to pick between a season ticket or something else.  If you dont think that you'll make every game on the season ticket then value becomes a consideration but for me it's still influenced more by rationalising what priority you want to spend your money on.
There are probably very few fans who have made a decision purely on the relative value for money that a season ticket offers - if you're going to attend the majority of games and have the money that you can spend in a lump sum payment then are you really going to not renew a season ticket because paying up front only saves you £30? Course not. For most it's not about value but rather the general cost of living and factoring football into yet another drain on wages.

Football nowadays is far too expensive full stop, however people care to pay.

The original premise of the season ticket was twofold; firstly to enable a modest financial benefit for those supporters who attend on a regular basis, but secondly and perhaps more importantly to provide a cash injection for the football club as the season approached.

Circumstances will dictate how people prioritise a season ticket purchase but two facts remain; they are unlikely to reduce in price and if the uptake at DFC remains as poor as it has been this season then there will be no professional football club left in this area to offer good, bad or indifferent value for money.

10 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

To be fair, the Vale frequently reach  four-figure attendance on Scottish Cup days.

I know they used to get around 1000 for league matches in the late 80s when they were doing well but I reckoned it would be significantly lower now. Good to be proven wrong.

13 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Being able to take a carry out in helps. 

Oh the valley, the lovely valley....

As I think many did and probably still do. I know even the alkies down by the Leven used to go to the matches. It just meant drinking their cargo about 50 yards from the usual spot and getting a match to boot! Everyone a winner!!

6 hours ago, FifeSons said:

This really is true, the baby boomers don't know how easy they had it!

"Kids, houses, weddings etc aren't cheap."  "This really is true, the baby boomers don't know how easy they had it!"

Kids, houses, weddings etc weren't cheap for some of us baby boomers either. There were years when I had to think more than  twice about going to a Sons game.

6 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

It could be of course that Froxy is just pulling our collective wires.

However, below is his new profile pic on Facebook uploaded today.

The other picture is Princes Square Shopping Centre in Glasgow.

Froxy.jpg

Princes Square 08.jpg

Nah, no chance he’s coming back, sadly. He also posted a picture of him in a Falkirk kit yesterday on Instagram. He’s always posting fondly of Scotland, don’t think it means he’s here/coming back.

1 hour ago, rockson said:

"Kids, houses, weddings etc aren't cheap."  "This really is true, the baby boomers don't know how easy they had it!"

Kids, houses, weddings etc weren't cheap for some of us baby boomers either. There were years when I had to think more than  twice about going to a Sons game.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek! It was certainly easier to get on the property ladder back in the day, though. 

Spoiler

Did I really just mention the property ladder in a thread about Dumbarton FC?

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek! It was certainly easier to get on the property ladder back in the day, though. 

Reveal hidden contents

Did I really just mention the property ladder in a thread about Dumbarton FC?

It might have been but when you were on it you had 15% interest rates to contend with. They even went up to 18% for a short time when Norman Lamont was Chancellor of the Exchequer.

4 minutes ago, rockson said:

It might have been but when you were on it you had 15% interest rates to contend with. They even went up to 18% for a short time when Norman Lamont was Chancellor of the Exchequer.

That was the first time I had to max out a credit card. Crazy times to have a mortgage. But we got by without a whine.^_^