Sons' sorrow

18 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I certainly won’t post again about the drum as it seems to arouse very positive, strong feelings in people. Unfortunately people with fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) as well as some other central nervous system conditions, can find that a repetitive noise or flashing lights, or indeed certain smells exacerbate their condition. The best known aspect of this is where flashing lights or flash photography can bring on a seizure. Repetitive sound can be just as bad. It stems from an inability for sufferers to filter out the sound/light/smell so that it becomes dominant, overriding the brain’s ability to concentrate, focus or think about anything else. I suffer from fibromyalgia and my daughter from CFS. https://www.verywellhealth.com/sensory-overload-in-fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue-716021
Having chaired a Testimonial year for Craig Brittain and a Benefit Year for Gordon Lennon's dependants and The Community StadiumCompany which holds the golden share in DFC, having been a season ticket holder in five different decades, having sold every single ticket for the club’s opening matches ( both actual and official) from my business premises and all that season’s season tickets, having sponsored the club to the tune of tens of thousands since 1985 - the most recent being Sons TV for two seasons, it’s a wee bit disappointing to be characterised as an old fart who complains for no reason. I am an old fart of course but I’m not a complainer.

Nobody called you "an old fart who complains for no reason" Wilf. Nobody on here  (or I suspect relatively few) know the state of your health, so your comments about not attending matches because of a drum do come across as a bit bah humbug.

Edited by Sons FC

3 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Been through the discussion before both here and on Facebook. I have to conclude I'm out of step and in a small minority who simply can't abide the noise.

There's really no point in further debate.

The boys, (and the drum) win.

I've got tons else to do on a Saturday in a drum free environment so I'm fine with it.

^^^ will be back when Dumbarton start winning again

On a more positive note, I see four of our last six games are at home. Including a potentially crucial double-header at home to Brechin and Stenhousemuir. With a bit of luck, Arbroath will have wrapped up the title by the last day and will have their eyes on the presentation. 

Spoiler

With a bit more luck, we might not already be relegated by then.

Edited by FifeSons

7 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

I was thinking the same. Our support aren't in a good place with the club, folk have even been going tonto at the former players birthday messages on Twitter :lol:

Add that to the fact everyone's skint, miserable weather and poor form, and it looks like the perfect cocktail for a rubbish home support. In a game where we really need a decent crowd too.

We normally do our business on a Tuesday and Thursday so, as you say, here's hoping that we get a decent wedge of signing news tonight. Something really has to happen to lift the doom around the place at the moment.

Seems big Berba isn't a goer either :(

Alloa Advertiser reporter tweeting today that Goodwin says he has no interest in Thomson. 

Nope. I've got a feeling it will be Friday before we get any news but I'm really hoping it will be tomorrow.

I'm slightly concerned that the lack of news or rumours means we wont be announcing the 4 or 5 players that we need and it will only be 1 or 2. I suppose the other worry is how shite they are, I can't imagine we're an attractive prospect at the minute.
I think this also. 1 or 2 and the squad bulked up a bit with trialists who could range from pish to pisher

3 hours ago, RGD89 said:

What else are you gonna do on a Saturday? Sit in your fuckin' armchair wankin' off to Pop Idols?
Then try and avoid your wife's gaze as you struggle to come to terms with your sexless marriage?
Then go and spunk your wages on kebabs, fruit machines and pints.
f**k that for a laugh! I know what I'd rather do. Sons at home, love it!

I am relatively new to following the sons and have to say I love my Saturdays when there's a home game. I'm no fan of afternoon drinking in general but I enjoy a couple of pints before the match, meeting my pal and talking to the old guys at the table before the match. I obviously want the sons to win but no despair if they don't. Then it's home for family time with a couple of single malts. I can't understand those who don't go because of poor form, especially if they hold a season ticket.  Team loses a 93rd minute goal; feet resembling blocks of ice; a half time cup of tea that needs reporting to trading standards? So what? It's a great day out. And home a 10 min taxi ride away.

22 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

I am relatively new to following the sons and have to say I love my Saturdays when there's a home game. I'm no fan of afternoon drinking in general but I enjoy a couple of pints before the match, meeting my pal and talking to the old guys at the table before the match. I obviously want the sons to win but no despair if they don't. Then it's home for family time with a couple of single malts. I can't understand those who don't go because of poor form, especially if they hold a season ticket.  Team loses a 93rd minute goal; feet resembling blocks of ice; a half time cup of tea that needs reporting to trading standards? So what? It's a great day out. And home a 10 min taxi ride away.

It's seasons like this where I wish I only had the above level of emotional investment.

I certainly won’t post again about the drum as it seems to arouse very positive, strong feelings in people. Unfortunately people with fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME) as well as some other central nervous system conditions, can find that a repetitive noise or flashing lights, or indeed certain smells exacerbate their condition. The best known aspect of this is where flashing lights or flash photography can bring on a seizure. Repetitive sound can be just as bad. It stems from an inability for sufferers to filter out the sound/light/smell so that it becomes dominant, overriding the brain’s ability to concentrate, focus or think about anything else. I suffer from fibromyalgia and my daughter from CFS. https://www.verywellhealth.com/sensory-overload-in-fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue-716021
Having chaired a Testimonial year for Craig Brittain and a Benefit Year for Gordon Lennon's dependants and The Community StadiumCompany which holds the golden share in DFC, having been a season ticket holder in five different decades, having sold every single ticket for the club’s opening matches ( both actual and official) from my business premises and all that season’s season tickets, having sponsored the club to the tune of tens of thousands since 1985 - the most recent being Sons TV for two seasons, it’s a wee bit disappointing to be characterised as an old fart who complains for no reason. I am an old fart of course but I’m not a complainer.

Wilf, I have watched my mum suffer with (ME) for 25 years and I completely understand your reasoning of being put of by the drumming.

I have seen my mums life be held back from her not be able to carry out mundane tasks that other take for granted. For years when I was in primary school she was bed bound. Years of her life stolen by the crippled pain and fatigue.

I commend you for even being able to bare those artic conditions down at the Rock as I know that the cold weather can bring out the worst in the condition.

Anyway back to footballing matters. I really am beginning to fear what the second half of the season has in store for us cos the first half has been absolutely pish.

12 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

Wilf, I have watched my mum suffer with (ME) for 25 years and I completely understand your reasoning of being put of by the drumming.

I have seen my mums life be held back from her not be able to carry out mundane tasks that other take for granted. For years when I was in primary school she was bed bound. Years of her life stolen by the crippled pain and fatigue.

I commend you for even being able to bare those artic conditions down at the Rock as I know that the cold weather can bring out the worst in the condition.

Anyway back to footballing matters. I really am beginning to fear what the second half of the season has in store for us cos the first half has been absolutely pish.

I'm sorry for your mum RGD it can be debillitating . Thankfully I manage pretty well with medication. Sometimes just have to get out of certain environments. Cold weather isn't good - hands and feet get cold.

As you say - back to footballing matters.

55 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Duffy on the radio tomorrow night, I think ross Forbes should ring up and discuss the sons, signings and those who’ve left, mainly Brad Spencer emoji12.png

I'll call up sounding horrifically distressed and tearful. He'll have no option but to make signings out of pity for me :lol:

Earlier in the thread some posters were talking about the attendances at the matches and we heard the usual theories regarding people having other interests, ticket prices etc. One poster suggested lowering ticket prices and it got me thinking: what crowd do you think we'd get if the matches were free? I'm not so sure it would be significantly larger. I'm with the posters that said there just isn't the interest anymore. My mother saw the Vale Juniors win the junior cup at Hampden in 1953. She said the Vale emptied that day - a relentless stream of trains and buses left for the match, with only mothers looking after the kids left behind. She isn't/wasn't a football fan but went along with her friends who weren't fans of football either because it was the local team. Those days are long gone. How many fans would go if the Vale reached the cup final again? 200 maybe? Dumbarton's record attendance was about the population of the whole town. Yet if we let everyone in for free now, I'm still not sure we'd fill the stand. It's tragic, really. But I still love it!

IMG_0050.thumb.jpg.17dba3cdfebc14bee691ab785682551b.jpg

Ooooh Froxy behave,

He needs to stop this, it’s playing with my emotions[emoji22]
I mean what a signing it would be and would give us the lift we need but are we clutching at straws here?
He is a free agent and his move to Falkirk didn’t work out....maybe it’s time for him to come home after all?
Then of course you have the whole money scenario but with dowie departing who must’ve been on a good wage it does get you thinking..