Sons' sorrow

Forbes is capable of playing out wide but his lack of pace is a real limiting factor. I’d rather have him there than Paton to be fair, but I’d prefer a player with his range and passing ability in the middle of the park. The major problem in doing that is pairing him with Hutton clearly doesn’t work, but we have no other options with the squad we have. Frustrating.
I suppose if we sign a new centre back we could pair Forbes with Carswell but Hutton just seems undroppable no matter who we have in charge.

I have no issue with Forbes playing wide or playing through the middle. I always think back to his most successful season where operated at wide right, I think if we were to give Ballantyne the freedom to overlap it would be a decent partnership, it would also require someone getting on the end of his deliveries. If we're playing him through the middle the same applies, we need legs alongside him and Hutton just doesn't provide that.

3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

What's the deadline for us to actually make signings? Can we still sign players on a free after the window shuts?

Unless anything has changed, we can aye. They have to be free agents when the window closes though afaik.

Some sad news.

Both of Gilbert Lawrie's parents have passed away. His mum Jessie on the 3rd January and dad Jim on 17th January.  I knew them well and there may be some on this list who did too. 

Jim's funeral is at Cardross Crematorium on Thursday at 11:15am.

Some sad news.
Both of Gilbert Lawrie's parents have passed away. His mum Jessie on the 3rd January and dad Jim on 17th January.  I knew them well and there may be some on this list who did too. 
No idea who any of them are and I'm no grief merchant but f**k me that's rotten.

19 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Unless anything has changed, we can aye. They have to be free agents when the window closes though afaik.

That's what I suspected. So, for example, Morton couldn't release Robert Thomson after the window and we then pick him up.

That basically means the next ten days will decide our fate. 

You'd have to think a good number will come in, but the longer it goes on the more edgy I'm getting.

32 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
37 minutes ago, Howlin said:
Some sad news.

No idea who any of them are and I'm no grief merchant but f**k me that's rotten.

Gilbert was Sons Chief exec and former director. It could well be argued he saved the club in the mid 90s. He died three years ago.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

13 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

That's what I suspected. So, for example, Morton couldn't release Robert Thomson after the window and we then pick him up.

That basically means the next ten days will decide our fate. 

You'd have to think a good number will come in, but the longer it goes on the more edgy I'm getting.

Yup. I'd imagine if we're going to add a bit of quality then we'll need to act soon.

Mark Russell is on trial at Derry City, and so if Duffy is interested (and who knows if he is) he'll have to look elsewhere.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/football/former-falkirk-winger-and-french-striker-on-trial-at-derry-city-1-8776998

ANNOUNCE SIGNINGS

6 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
16 hours ago, lionel wickson said:
A proper team too...emoji20.png

Aye, I was there. It has to be said though that Rugby Park, Broomfield and Brockville were nightmare trips for visiting fans in the 1970's.

Don't remember Rugby Park being that bad. Tynecastle and Douglas Park come to mind as two of the worst.

37 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Yup. I'd imagine if we're going to add a bit of quality then we'll need to act soon.

Mark Russell is on trial at Derry City, and so if Duffy is interested (and who knows if he is) he'll have to look elsewhere.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/football/former-falkirk-winger-and-french-striker-on-trial-at-derry-city-1-8776998

ANNOUNCE SIGNINGS

tenor.gif

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'd agree, you can also add a goalie to that list unless Duffy is happy to go with Adam and can talk Ewings into coming out of retirement to sit on the bench. Surely the SPFL will be questioning our continued emergency loan of Smith, I can't imagine them being overly delighted about us carrying on with it when we've had a month to sort the situation out.

You could also argue that a winger would be handy. Paton is guff, B.Barr is capable but hasn't shown it nearly enough and Gallagher just doesn't seem to work out there. Forbes is probably the best option on the right but Duffy seems to be favouring the ineffective Forbes and Hutton partnership in the middle of the park.

Yup, I'd certainly agree, but I'd probably place the keeper and winger just below the four I mentioned. The reasons being, we do actually have players capable of playing there and unfortunately if Grant Adam is fit, we probably have to stick with him. Same with the wingers, none of them IMO are up to it, but the other positions probably have to take priority.

Edited by FifeSons

Yup, I'd certainly agree, but I'd probably place the keeper and winger just below the four I mentioned. The reasons being, we do actually have players capable of playing there and unfortunately if Grant Adam is fit, we probably have to stick with him. Same with the wingers, none of them IMO are up to it, but the other positions probably have to take priority.
I'm not so sure. With McGowan gone we now only have 1 keeper signed up. Of course if we are to continue with the emergency loan of Smith (will that be allowed after a transfer window?) then we're sorted for fit goalies but if not we're left with 1.

An injury to our 1 fit goalie mid match could be a disaster.

17 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm not so sure. With McGowan gone we now only have 1 keeper signed up. Of course if we are to continue with the emergency loan of Smith (will that be allowed after a transfer window?) then we're sorted for fit goalies but if not we're left with 1.

An injury to our 1 fit goalie mid match could be a disaster.

I was kind of just assuming we'd sign Smith or keep going with his emergency loan, but that's not really a given. 

Edited by FifeSons

Broomfield and Brockville deserve to be on the list of "here be dragons". Easter Road too.

I once had a bizarre experience after a game at Berwick, of all places. A chap cleaning his car in his driveway stopped me going any further towards the town centre as, being on my own he said, I'd be in danger of being attacked a few hundred yards further on. He insisted on phoning a taxi for me. And, right enough, we soon passed a group of nasty looking individuals.  I believe it was  "let's get after the Jocks" thing.

(Berwick is also the place where a Sons' fan was threatened with arrest prior to kick-off for sunbathing on the grassy slope.)

17 minutes ago, RGD89 said:

I wonder how many times Ross Forbes has refreshed the sons home page now ??

#squeakybumtime

1,728,000 seconds into 2019, refreshed roughly once every 3 seconds = 576,000 refreshes.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

tenor.gif

*twitches*

Edited by Ross Forbes

45 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

Broomfield and Brockville deserve to be on the list of "here be dragons". Easter Road too.

I once had a bizarre experience after a game at Berwick, of all places. A chap cleaning his car in his driveway stopped me going any further towards the town centre as, being on my own he said, I'd be in danger of being attacked a few hundred yards further on. He insisted on phoning a taxi for me. And, right enough, we soon passed a group of nasty looking individuals.  I believe it was  "let's get after the Jocks" thing.

(Berwick is also the place where a Sons' fan was threatened with arrest prior to kick-off for sunbathing on the grassy slope.)

I got smashed in the face with a pie in Berwick aswell. Full of pie wasting arseholes.