Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I've noticed a few comments on the Facebook group that don't really make sense to me regarding a certain fan having a spot on the board. Do people not realise we already have a supporters rep on the board who does a hell of a lot of work? The supporter being discussed on the group certainly deserves credit but our current fans rep does a shit load of work for nothing and is the driving force behind recent fundraising efforts.

The lack of credit the guy gets never fails to astound me.

Why not just mention him by name? It's Alan Findlay. In all my dealings with DFC over the years I've found Alan businesslike and co-operative. He does put in a load of work and I think that the role was made for him. I can't help but think though that recent events at the club have had a considerable effect on his enthusiasm.  Gillie Brough is the other unnamed person in your post. If there were an additional spot available on the board for Sonstrust then Gillie would be a great candidate. First woman director* -  great organiser and a good people person. These things also apply to Denise Currie and Tommy Hughes* with one exception. 

Why not just mention him by name? It's Alan Findlay. In all my dealings with DFC over the years I've found Alan businesslike and co-operative. He does put in a load of work and I think that the role was made for him. I can't help but think though that recent events at the club have had a considerable effect on his enthusiasm.  Gillie Brough is the other unnamed person in your post. If there were an additional spot available on the board for Sonstrust then Gillie would be a great candidate. First woman director* -  great organiser and a good people person. These things also apply to Denise Currie and Tommy Hughes* with one exception. 
Whilst I would agree with your post Wilf, returning to the subject of funding and 'that' post on Facebook (of which I'm not a member) we need to consider that some supporters are unwilling to contribute as long as the controlling interest in the club's shareholding resides with Brabco, who as has been said invest hee-haw.

I personally know of two such folk and whatever we might think of that we need to respect their view. However, I know that everyone actively involved right now at DFC wants Brabco away and if that means that a number of us can assist with a modest monthly contribution I'm happy to do that.

Dom Thomas an unused sub for Kilmarnock against Forfar today. So I think we can assume that Steve Clarke isn't really a fan.

Also noticed that Jack Aitchison came on for Alloa after 82 minutes with them 2-1 up against ten man St Mirren...

The club would have known that in the summer yes, and would have budgeted for one of the larger away supports if the season plus hospitality. Both of which will be drastically reduced.

When people talk about the club budgeting for the season, there’s a prime example of why it’s. it that straight forward.

It’s a huge blow in a season of relentless blows.

Not great for our finances only having one home game between the end of January and March.

Not really sure why we ever moved away from alternating home and away each week. Can't think of any good reason for not having the fixtures that way. All the more important for small clubs' cash flow

Dom Thomas an unused sub for Kilmarnock against Forfar today. So I think we can assume that Steve Clarke isn't really a fan.

Also noticed that Jack Aitchison came on for Alloa after 82 minutes with them 2-1 up against ten man St Mirren...

And they managed to throw that lead away after he came on........

Wonder if he will say he doesn't fancy it there too

5 minutes ago, ewan_fife said:

Mclusckey the trialist?

Stefan? I'd be surprised, I was at Pollok today and he played (and scored). Can't see them being overly keen on him playing for us in a bounce game two days before he's playing for the club who pay his wages.

Edited by Ross Forbes

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Whilst I would agree with your post Wilf, returning to the subject of funding and 'that' post on Facebook (of which I'm not a member) we need to consider that some supporters are unwilling to contribute as long as the controlling interest in the club's shareholding resides with Brabco, who as has been said invest hee-haw.

I personally know of two such folk and whatever we might think of that we need to respect their view. However, I know that everyone actively involved right now at DFC wants Brabco away and if that means that a number of us can assist with a modest monthly contribution I'm happy to do that.

Some folk will always find an excuse not to chip in. I'd be very surprised if anything contributed just now would provide any material benefit to the semi-detached (sic) Brabco whatsoever. If, as I suspect,, the club is in much more serious debt than it was in May 2017 (Feb 2018 accounts), I'd imagine any money raised would go straight to the playing and admin side of the club. I'm fine with that and have done the Facebook Last Man Standing thing and will do the race night contribution too. 

I think of our mutual departed  friend Alastair's opinion that "This club must have the support with the highest IQ in Scotland". I'm so pleased he never saw the Facebook page.

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Not really sure why we ever moved away from alternating home and away each week.

That never happened for a whole season - and never could.

For example, at present, on the  first day of the season five clubs are away and five at home. After four more weeks of home and away games against teams in the opposite "half" of the league then, if they are to play every other club in the first nine games - then you would have the five "away" clubs all due an away game and the five "home" clubs all due a  home game but not having played four of the clubs in the same home or away divide as they started.

I was working at Edinburgh City today and they offer Hearts & Hibs season ticket holders half price entry to their games.

They say they are starting to see early benefits because when the Hearts and Hibs fans are in attendance their children are always head to toe in Edinburgh City gear.

I suppose it's playing the long game hoping those wee ones continue to attend as they get older.

Do we think something similar could work with us or is it unfair to real Dumbarton fans?

Just looking for thoughts on this.